Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little history question?
Why is the Utah board the biggest and best thing going on this site? I didn't do the math but it seems like this board has more posts than all the other boards put together. Seems like a very interesting phenomenon.

FM
[signature]
Because here in Utah we really like to shoot the B.S.and are the worlds best story tellers. And we have the worlds best fishing holes!
[signature]
Maybe its because were willing to give a lot to get a little. Plus this bunch of guys are the best around plus some could be the best anglers in the state.

What board are you from? I've noticed the Nevada site is starting to pick up but still nothing like Utah.
[signature]
best angler in the state ? THANK YOU !!!! i resemble that remark LMAO
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I can offer a couple of theories. I have not been around since Predator was made moderator and began building the board, but he did send me an invitation. It just took a few months of watching it come together before I jumped in. I will have been registered two years in September. I think Kent was among the first to come aboard after the board was set up.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I have "dropped in" on many other boards, and was appointed moderator of the Arizona board, as well as the float tubing board. I know from experience that it is not easy to build a state board. For some reason, the anglers in Arizona either are not computer literate or folks who use computers do not fish. Abject failure here.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]What Utah had going for it was that there were already several other fishing sites...Doug Miller and Utah Fish Finder, among others. There are a lot of folks in Utah that are both avid anglers and who use computers well enough to be able to access and use a fishing website.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The time was ripe for BFT to become a new and better place to hang out. Doug Miller's site got a little use, but not much response from the host when people posted questions. Same with Utah Fish Finder. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I actually stepped in and became informal moderator on UFF for awhile. I did not have editing or deleting capabilities, but when some idiot posted trash, either Kent or myself would email Rich (web host) and he would delete it. At least he did for awhile. Then he began neglecting the site to the point that it was overrun with profanity and obnoxious posts. When I had enough, I bailed out and came over to BFT.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Initially, BFT was what you might call the Willard Bay Boys Club. Most of the early regulars were all fishing mainly on Willard Bay and a high percentage of the posts were about wipers and Willard. BLM, Teroy and WH2...along with Predator...pretty much kept the chatter going while others dropped it from time to time.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Gradually the site has attracted more anglers, with diverse interests. Now it would be hard to find a site with more dedicated statewide fisherfolks. And, with the team of moderators on the Utah board, the site is kept relatively free of personal issues and unseemly posts. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hats off to Utah and the mod squad.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'd have to agree with TubeDude. Utah is a very big area for tech ad computer technology. We have a high percentage of our population online compared to other states, plus I'm sure we have a high population (compared to some of the more urban states) of fisherpeople. Put the two together and you get online fishermen or fisherwomen.
[signature]
As Tudedude pointed out, the success of the Utah board is a result of already having some active Utah boards to mine members from, and because the moderators, the BFT members, and those who own this site have made BFT more attractive than the other Utah sites. Keeping the site of high quality will be an ongoing challenge for both the moderators, fellow BFT members, and those who own this site. Ask Rich, at Utah Fish Finder, how quickly a fishing forum can go from being, by far the most active Utah fishing forum, to the point where the forum is totally shut down.
[signature]
As someone who is relatively new to the site(Nov 03), I would first say I was readily welcomed to the site by all of you. Second, as far as first had information, I know of nowhere that you can get information about a particular fishing hole or what to use or where to go, etc. as quick and from knowledgeable people as here at BFT. Third, you early folk and the owners laid a great groundwork for the site to exist and get moving. I found the site, I feel by accident but it was because it was active and on the web. (I was searching for info on Bear Lake Mack fishing, in a search engine, and found a posting from one of you). Lastly, for those that like to fish, this site is a must! Thanks all of you for making this site what it is.
[signature]
I don't know about other people but the reason I registered here is because I can post my thoughts, however uneducated they be, and I don't have to worry about some idiot putting in his stupid remarks and making it so I don't want to post. I like all the info people are willing to share and the fact that people actually moderate the boards like they are supposed to.
[signature]
I agree with what everyone has said. I joined this site over a year ago and was welcomed. I have not been treated like a stupid women. Any quesstion I ask is answered wither it be stupid or not. I really enjoy this site and the fairness I recieve here. Thanks to all and the mods for a job well done and hopefully alot more members and alot more info.
[signature]
My hats off to all the fine people in Utah (and other boards) who drop in to make this a great place to visit. I appreciate you all putting up with our tantrums from time to time and you all have made this a fun place to enjoy the fishing talk without the trash. I have met many fine people at our outings and look forward to many more in the future.

A good job to all and to our core of moderators!

Thank you!
[signature]
[sly]Man Fishluvr I could have really lit you up on that post, but I will behave myself, (THIS TIME) but I agree you can post any question you want and it will be answered, you have to be able to take a little ribbing at times but its all good. this is a site I found by accident reading the post by fishermen for fishermen in the DWRs section, a BFT member posted the adrress to this site and I looked it up, I have been here ever since because the weekly fishing reports in the DWR site were always so outdated, if i was to continune reading that site I would still think the ice conditions were unsafe or questionable all over the state, but this site is current and accurate to the minute, and very detailed as to what to use, bait, and location. This is a wonderful site with more info than one person could ever hope to get in a lifetime. [cool]
[signature]
ill tell ya what makes utah so much better than the other boards....we here at bft have a thing called brotherly love. when someone gets hurt we wish him get well. when somebody outfishes somebody we congratulate him, then get competitive to out fish him. we share what we know, and to top it all off, theres a whole heck of a lot of us!!!! and one last thing, the three mods we have here, they are truly to thank for all the knowledge that goes around here. i shall now step off my soap box and slide back into the shadows to absorb more FREE fishing tips.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]This thread has truly stirred up some old memories for me. I remember running onto this site and being so surprised at the wealth of information here. Then I got to wondering if I would be so braisen as to actually ask one of these guys if I could go fishing with him to learn how. I really wanted to learn Willard and so I PM'ed Predator. He agreed and ever since then I have found that it is very easy to find some one to take you fishing or someone to go with you in your own boat. (I must admit, I took quite a tong lashing from Mrs. Coot and my kids for meeting up with an unknown Internet person who calls himself "PREDATOR"!!) Since then there have been group fishing competitions, get togethers at restraints, fishing seminars, and cookouts. In fact, at one time there was some talk of even forming a "club". But we all realized that the only difference between a club and what we already had is that we would have to pay stinking dues to make it a "club". [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I have actually become somewhat "addicted" to this Web site. I know that may sound a little childish … but it is true. And I have you good folks to blame for that. This is one awesome Web site. And the moderators play a huge part in keeping it awesome. And to that I say a big T H A N K S.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I only hang out here because people with boats think I know what I'm talking about. My next quest is to talk Tomegun into thinking I once fished the BASS tour and am a know pro. Plastic, hook, throw....how hard can it be?
Hey, thanks for being nice and biting your Tongue. I know how hard that can be at times as you have personally witnessed in the past. You must have a lot more will power than me because I am always opening my mouth before I think, if I ever do think, and end up in trouble for it.
[signature]
Watch out now, you may just end up with a good old tomegun answer. We all know how colorful they can be and I'm not just talking about what color font they are in at the time. Maybe that is why I like them so much. It has to do with the colors and my simple mind.
[signature]
I think it might be because fisherman by nature are closed mouth, they don't want to give away there best secrets however because of the great work done on this board most utah fisherman have come to realize that sharing info dosn't make fishing worse it make it better for everyone

Trent
[signature]