Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake Newsletter
[#0000FF][url "https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=81543442399c32c0fce942192&id=b44ab156a2"]UTAH LAKE NEWSLETTER[/url]
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF]Check out the link. Some good info on the doin's at Utah Lake in the coming weeks. That includes a "movie on the water" at Lindon on Saturday, July 13.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Enjoyed the nice piece you wrote on the winter carp catch by Loy. I think I would have to nay on the flick at Lindon - although it seems an appropriate movie for the venue.
[signature]
Pat, what is the cause of algie bloom? Is this a natural occurrence.
[signature]
Thanks. Just one question: What's an RFP? One of my pet peeves, people throwing out acronyms without saying what they stand for. Especially TWAs*.

*Three word acronyms.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]Dat you Chuck?
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Thanks for the kindly comments.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Think I'll pass on the wet movie too. I hate soggy popcorn...especially when it's flavored with algae.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote fish_fanatic]Pat, what is the cause of algie bloom? Is this a natural occurrence.[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have fished Utah Lake for over 50 years. There is some kind of algae bloom every year...and in most other Utah waters too. But the blue-green algae with the cyanotoxins have been a more recent development.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am attaching a compilation of articles I have collected on the algae thing. The general explanation is that the high phosphorous content and nitrogen put out by "treated" sewage water is the biggest trigger. Of course the runoff from homes, businesses and agriculture also contribute their share of excess nutrients. However, water levels, water temps and other factors can all contribute.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Read and weep.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote catchinon]Thanks. Just one question: What's an RFP? One of my pet peeves, people throwing out acronyms without saying what they stand for. Especially TWAs*.

[#0000FF]Hey, we live in a time of alphabet soup acronyms, for people who like to show off and who are too lazy to type out the whole thing. I'm witchoo.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]RFP = [url "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Request_for_proposal"]Request For Proposal [/url]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF](COL...Click on link)[/#0000FF]

*Three word acronyms.[/quote]
[signature]
YUP, Pat - It be me.

Seems like a spendy way to sit on a pool floaty and swat bugs - they should be out and about any time now.

Also I imagine maybe a few pocket fisherman type poles baited with popcorn and treble hooks getting stuck in all the wrong places. Or maybe there will be a good Utah lake breeze that night.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I wondered if maybe you and the dogs were stuck up in the hills chasing cougars or something. Glad to see ya back on the board.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Don't know what all kinds of watercraft might turn out for the soggy flick thing. But it would be diabolical to enter the area underwater...with appropriate scuba gear...and a pseudo shark fin. Wonder how long it would take to empty the harbor of humankind if they thought there was "Jaws" playing out in real life.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the info!
[signature]
But it would be diabolical to enter the area underwater...with appropriate scuba gear...and a pseudo shark fin.

"An evil mind is a perpetual feast."
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

RFP means:

Really Fat Perch

(Request for Proposal)
[signature]
I thought it might stand for Rabid Fish Person [cool].
[signature]