Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fligging at Lincoln Beach
Arrived at LB about 6:30 today. Slight chop on the water at launch time. Decided to abandon my Circle hooks today. My wife agreed that we should spend the morning fligging. Turned out to be a great idea. The Kitties were hitting hot and heavy all morning. Bait ran out about 10:30 so we called it a day. The power squadron were making their presence so it was a good quitting time. Fire Tiger and silver/blue seemed to be the favored color today. Fligs were sweetened with white bass and Yuba carp. Total for the day was 29; above average sized cats. All caught in 10’ of water. Water temp was 74.2 at 10:30 am. No bump up fish today but a great morning to be on the big pond. It was a Fligging Blast! My wife wants to do it again.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ain't it great to be a winner...and to win things? Glad my trinkets found favor with the kitties. I'm betting that most were hooked in the corner of the mouth...just like with circle hooks. I do have some snarf them down but most are hooked where they are easy to unhook. At least easy for catfish. Those things have tough mouths and barbed hooks are sometimes tough to rassle loose.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You are correct Pat. Most were hooked on the corner of the mouth. Good solid hookups. All fish hooked themselves. No hesitation about hitting. Gorilla fligs were used exclusively. My wife was using the Firetiger with a prop. Very explosive strikes. Your Fliggs made for a great day on the pond and a new weapon in my arsenal. I’m a believer.
[signature]
what is fligging? never heard of it.
[signature]
A flig is a floating jig. It is designed to lift the bait slightly above the bottom. TubeDude is the grand master of fligs and fligging. I trust that he will chime in and tell you all about it.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Great report. I'm glad you both ahd a good time and that your FLIGs were so much fun

Did you have too downsize your g=baits at all?
[signature]
[#0000ff]Welcome aboard. I notice on your profile that your fave fishing hole is Starvation. Fligs really work well there for all species.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"Flig" is the shortened version of floating jig. The basic idea is to present bait or plastic a bit up off the bottom...and to add some color and/or sparkle to create more fish attraction. They have been available from several sources for many years.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I have been using them since about 1990 something. In the past few years I have been making my own from high density foam and painting/glittering them in all my favorite Utah colors. I also make them in sizes from small #6 panfish sizes to 8/0 sizes for big cats and even sturgeon. They are fun and effective.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is the writeup I put together on them.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I didn’t change a thing. Not sure if the Fligs were holding the bait up or not. I think the bling was a plus. We didn’t have to pull the trigger on any of the fish. They hit like a sledge hammer! Pretty much just suspended them under the boat with a 3/4 swivel sinker on a slider rig. 12”-18” leader just off the bottom. .5 mph.
[signature]