Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation Over
Today was my last vacation day this summer. We decided to go give Mantua a try even though the forecast was for fairly windy conditions.
So we got there late this morning about 930 a.m.
And the forecast was correct, it was windy. But the water wasn't chopping too bad, so we launched. Got the last boat trailer parking spot in the lot closest to the bathrooms.

Because the wind was coming out of the south/south east, we went out to the south east portion of the lake and shut down and drifted with the wind toward the north west side of the lake. After repeating that process a couple times, decided to try and get further back in the south east area, closer to the tree line.

We don't normally drop the anchor at Mantua because of all the grass that has to come back up with it. But today we were about 50-60 feet away from another boat and didn't want to wind-drift into their area. So, anchor dropped in about 7-10 fow. Good hook, and before starting our casting, I decided to bring up my motor and clear all the grass off of the prop while we were stopped and relatively calm. Leaned out on the full up motor, and SURPRISE the up-latch must not have been fully engaged.......... I got launched off the back of my motor into the 71 degree Mantua water.

I hit the water and had a fraction of a second to wonder why my PFD had not inflated.........then it did. So nice to know it works. I reached up and caught the gunwale of the boat just forward of the transom, being very thankful that the boat was anchored, the PFD functioned as it was designed, and the water wasn't too cold.

Then I realized the PFD I have had for several years, and was keeping me afloat, was also choking me. It had inflated so tight behind my head and across my chest that it was making it almost impossible to breath. I was trying to tell my wife NOT to come to that same side of the boat because with our combined weights it might cause it to list far enough to ship water over the side. But what I was thinking wasn't making it out of my mouth.

Having a good handhold on the boat, I felt around the front of my PFD, found the buckle, and was able to unsnap it. WOW, instant relief [laugh] I could breath again. I worked my way around the stern and used the motor as a boarding ladder. I bet I looked like the creature from the GRASS LAGOON [laugh].
Just a few seconds after I was back in my boat the guys that had been not far off, pulled up and asked if we needed any help. Thanks guys, whoever you were. But the panic was short lived and over. Whole episode from first "splash down" to soaking wet back on the boat could not have lasted more than 2 to 3 minutes.

Results for the day, my phone, wallet, and I got a Mantua bath. No fish were harmed in any way (unless I may have kicked one when I fell in).
My old flip phone is like the old Timex commercial. The wallet should be dry by the morning.

LESSONS LEARNED:
Self inflating PFD's DO WORK when they are properly maintained. I replace my charging kit every 2 years, even though they only recommend every 3.

Self inflating PFD's CAN be too small for some of us more portly fellows. I will replace the inflation kit on this one, and keep it as a PFD for smaller passengers on the Tin-Can, but I will find, and purchase one that fits me better.

A good investment for my small boat would be a boarding ladder that can be stowed when not needed, but quickly deployed when required.

[fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I'm glad you're OK. Sorry you went swimming on a non-swimming outing. What a way to ruin your fishing outing for the day!
[signature]
Forest, I have to laugh because I had about the same experience. I was attempting to load the boat on the trailer; as I leaned over the bow of the boat to secure the wench hook I rested my elbow on the base of the trolling motor, in turn releasing the motor. When it let go it launched me over the side. The only thing that didn't get wet was my hat. Needless to say it hurt my pride. I looked around to see if anyone was watching or laughing. The only one I could see was Violet and yes she was laughing although she didn't see the whole sequence.

It is funny to look back on; the stupid things that happen. I think we all have a story to tell.

Glad you were able to recover
[signature]
Glad your ok and now it’s ok to laugh. I about took a swim yesterday when a boarders waves came through and I was bringing in a fish. It was a scary feeling I would hate to have gone through with it.
[signature]
I am glad things worked out well and your no worse for wear. I thought I was the only one to have fishing mishaps.
[signature]
I know I am not suppose to laugh at others misery, but could not help myself as I imagined your face going over. Glad it all worked out. Bass may take a week to recover, though...
[signature]
Fishing wasn't being productive anyway. [Wink]
[signature]

Cool
Richard, it was a lesson learned for sure. First time I have even fallen out of a boat. Have rolled over a couple canoes purposely, but never fallen out.
Everything worked out. Wallet dried out last night hanging in front of a fan, phone never got a drop inside.
Had to wear squishy clothes and shoes home.......[laugh]
[signature]

Cool
I don't mind folks laughing. If I did, I would not have posted anything. Just hope someone (besides me) learns a good lesson about being sure to wear their PFD, and getting one that fits correctly. Since I have never had my auto inflating PFD's ON when I have inflated them to check for leaks and then replace the charging kit every 2 years, I didn't know mine would try to strangle me at the same time it was keeping me afloat........[sly] [laugh] [crazy]
[signature]

Cool
Hey Forest, glad all worked out okay for you... man that is scary stuff... Don't know if you heard about a guy from Benson drowning in an irrigation pipe a few weeks ago, but he had a similar experience of getting over balanced and falling in a vertical well casing head first... No one was there to pull him out in time and he drowned.. So I'm happy things turned out better for you... We sure have to be careful all the time, too many crazy things happen... Glad you take lots of good safety steps that kept you safe.. Guess all that caution has just paid for itself... Thanks for sharing that story with us and I hope we heed your warning so we are safe when we have our oops... Later Jeff
[signature]
Think it can't happen to you..................? Anything is possible.........
Check this out

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/anglers-...ch/#slide_
[signature]

Cool