Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uinta Stream report - Black Smith Fork
Cowboy-pirate crew ran up to the Unitas Saturday to see how the stream flows were lowering. Went up Smith Fork, down black Smith Fork and then out over lizzy. Flows are coming down nicely. They all looked very fishy. Rained hard on us so actual fish time was pretty limited, but showed Cookie how to use a fly rod and she caught her first with that technique on the middle fork of the Black Smith. Added brookies to our grand slam check off for the year. That is 12 species now. What a fun year.

For those who toss flys, we caught ours on size 14 renegades, but saw some slurps on flying ants and some small midges. I am sure Adam's, elk hair caddis, coachman, wulf, and most small nymph patterns would have got hits, too.

Also did some exploring in Suicide Park on the Smith Fork. Lots of old tie hacker cabins in the area. Cool place to wander, just not in the rain.

All the photos are on my gopro, so you will have to watch the video for visuals

Video attached.

https://youtu.be/3dwsQEcczlg
[signature]
Looks like a nice time. Also looks creative to use a spinning rod with a fly reel ( I have done several variations of this myself ) For small streams I have shorty 2 wt and 3 wt fly rods - make tiny fish feel like you are fighting a whopper.
[signature]
That rod, you noticed, is a little set up, I keep in my truck , so I can throw a spin reel or fly reel on it at a moment notice when I see a spot I have got to try. It dosent do either well, but those brookies dont mind.
[signature]
Nice video and interesting story about Suicide Park.
[signature]