Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon July 17, 2019
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Arrived at about 8:00. Lake is still near full pool. Surface temp very close to 70*F. Started trolling at South end of the lake. I moved along the west bank all the way to the dam, then across to Dixie Hollow, back to the south end along the east side and then back to the marina right down the middle. Finished at about 1:45 when the wind came up. Caught my first rainbow about 9:07. Somewhere between 10:30 and 11:00 I had my second fish one which made one 2 foot leap out of the water and let loose of the hook. The third rainbow came at 1:20 and the 4th & last came at 1:40. All were released unharmed except for a small puncture wound to the lip.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Another older gentleman who was hosting a blind friend was launching when I launched and pulled out at the same time I did. They caught 3 'nice trout' he told me. I thanked him for making his friends day.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]The power squadron was out in full force making it a roller coaster ride for me most of the day. And I passed at least 5 more of them coming up the canyon road as I drove down to Morgan. Seems like a good reason to switch to Lost Creek for my next trip since I don't usually keep trout in the summer anyway. [Wink][/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I did pull crank baits and shad rap on one rod at several depths looking for a wiper or two for 3 hours, but found no takers.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]All hook ups came off green or pink hoochies. Orange, purple, red, or blue didn't produce anything. All trout baits were tipped with Pautzke Fire Corn – Pink.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]It was a very slow day, but better than working or plating couch potato. Take care y'all and tight lines.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Glad to see your challenging efforts yielded some reward. I drove by there last week on Thursday and campground was full with lake lice out in full force. I avoid EC as well as other lakes closer to populations during the summer months. I value my safety with others in my boat. Years ago I was trolling along eastern side yielding middle section to power squadron. A ski boat towing a single board skier came by at 20' from me with skier throwing water up at my area. Watercop nearby observed incident and came over to me only to check my safety equipment & fishing license, you gotta be kidding. When I'm alone fishing I wear my PFD and this type situation warrants it. Now I only fish EC after ice off and fall time up to icing conditions that start.
[signature]
Hey, Bob, thanks for the report about one of the waters that doesn't get covered real often. We all tend to concentrate on a few lakes and there are a lot of other places out there.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.