Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two missing brothers on Strawberry Reservoir
Searchers look for two missing brothers on Strawberry Reservoir after their boat was found empty on Thursday, July 18, 2019.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/9000...earch.html

I was fishing strawberry yesterday the wind was early we left at 10 with 3 limits

big white caps I think a lot of boats left before I did it was not safe for a little boat.
[signature]
Sad news for sure. I hope they are able to find them.
[signature]
I have a 16' that I fish from and am very aware of wind conditions, always check wind forecast for the body of water I plann to fish, and I always wear a preserver. It is sometimes easier said than done because "it will never happen to me".
Let's all be careful!
[signature]
This is a Sad event, all one can hope for is recovery aside from a miracle.
[signature]
It is awful what happened to them, makes me think how many times that could have been me and my brother in my old 12' jon boat. I've actually had the coast guard vessel follow us in to the no wake zone at strawberry. The surf was so high I was happy to see them behind us till we were back in calmer waters. That lake can get bad in a hurry. And thank God for our search and rescue crews, they do an amazing job, especially considering quite a few of them are volunteers who donate there time and materials to keep us all safe.
[signature]
I was up there as well fishing the triangle area. Sad news.
[signature]
BFTers or not they were one of us. Hope the families can find peace and comfort... eventually.

I lost one of my fishing crew 12 years ago and I still feel the pain. He still fishes with me when I fish alone.
[signature]
Very Sad. I have been here for a week and as of now, still no luck on recovery or a miracle. It has made me wonder about wearing an inflatable vest when I fish alone. I fish in a 21’ lund, but you never know in a storm or when I might trip on my dog or who knows???

Does anyone else wear one? I have seen people with them.

Any recommendation on what we kind?[reply][/reply]
[signature]
I wear one on all boats.
[signature]
Never fish without one. My was bought at Cabelas. I also encourage those fishing with me to wear a PFD. Very comfortable. Lots better than the old foam units.
[signature]
I wear mine every time out, it does no good while being stored.
[signature]
I have always worn mine when alone but felt that if I was with another person one of us could toss the other one a jacket if somebody fell out. I realize the error in my thoughts with this tragedy. Even if someone could toss me a jacket I could never put it on properly in the water. I also realize that as much time as I spend fishing I will fall out of the boat eventually. So from today forward the life jacket is required attire on my boat.

I am also installing a auto kill switch on the old motor before it touches the water again.

To the family and friends of these 2 men. I am so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
[signature]
From Sunday 7 July - Valuable lesson about PFD's

Because the wind was coming out of the south/south east, we went out to the south east portion of the lake and shut down and drifted with the wind toward the north west side of the lake. After repeating that process a couple times, decided to try and get further back in the south east area, closer to the tree line.

We don't normally drop the anchor at Mantua because of all the grass that has to come back up with it. But today we were about 50-60 feet away from another boat and didn't want to wind-drift into their area. So, anchor dropped in about 7-10 fow. Good hook, and before starting our casting, I decided to bring up my motor and clear all the grass off of the prop while we were stopped and relatively calm. Leaned out on the full up motor, and SURPRISE the up-latch must not have been fully engaged.......... I got launched off the back of my motor into the 71 degree Mantua water.

I hit the water and had a fraction of a second to wonder why my PFD had not inflated.........then it did. So nice to know it works. I reached up and caught the gunwale of the boat just forward of the transom, being very thankful that the boat was anchored, the PFD functioned as it was designed, and the water wasn't too cold.

Then I realized the PFD I have had for several years, and was keeping me afloat, was also choking me. It had inflated so tight behind my head and across my chest that it was making it almost impossible to breath. I was trying to tell my wife NOT to come to that same side of the boat because with our combined weights it might cause it to list far enough to ship water over the side. But what I was thinking wasn't making it out of my mouth.

Having a good handhold on the boat, I felt around the front of my PFD, found the buckle, and was able to unsnap it. WOW, instant relief [laugh] I could breath again. I worked my way around the stern and used the motor as a boarding ladder. I bet I looked like the creature from the GRASS LAGOON [laugh].
Just a few seconds after I was back in my boat the guys that had been not far off, pulled up and asked if we needed any help. Thanks guys, whoever you were. But the panic was short lived and over. Whole episode from first "splash down" to soaking wet back on the boat could not have lasted more than 2 to 3 minutes.

Results for the day, my phone, wallet, and I got a Mantua bath. No fish were harmed in any way (unless I may have kicked one when I fell in).
My old flip phone is like the old Timex commercial. The wallet should be dry by the morning.

LESSONS LEARNED:
Self inflating PFD's DO WORK when they are properly maintained. I replace my charging kit every 2 years, even though they only recommend every 3.

Self inflating PFD's CAN be too small for some of us more portly fellows. I will replace the inflation kit on this one, and keep it as a PFD for smaller passengers on the Tin-Can, but I will find, and purchase one that fits me better.

[fishon][/quote]

Just4fun..........a day on the water can very quickly turn into "not so much fun"
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Very wise choices Stickleback. When one of our fellow BFT'ers drown at Willard about 3 years ago, I made that a hard rule of my boat. If you are on the boat, your PDF is on your body.
Have always had the law mandated PFD's on my boat, but didn't wear them unless rough water came up, or I was moving fast. Then because I was fishing alone about 90% of the time back then, I changed over to auto inflating PFD's that were lighter,and more comfortable to wear, but would keep me and others afloat if knocked out of the boat. My own recent experience with being tossed off of my boat at Mantua has made my resolve even stronger. My PFD policy now is "Own it, maintain it, wear it at all times"

My thoughts go out to the families of the 2 gentlemen lost at Strawberry.
[signature]

Cool
Even as hot the weather was yesterday and as calm the water was I wore my PFD !!
[signature]
Several year back during the Buck Board tournament you were required to attend the pre tourney pep-talk about the rules and regulations. The talk was given by a Wyoming fish cop and he said he will give you a ticket if you don't have your "Throw-able PFD" out and easily available to toss. Since that time I always have mine out and ready to toss when needed. I also give anyone on my boat the FYI as to it's purpose. This is the only time I've heard anyone say this was a requirement but I hope the Utah boaters use the same common sense and have it at the ready.
[signature]
Yep, I keep my throw-able flotation cushion in the bow right with the anchor and tow rope.

Another comment: Throw-able should also be "Serviceable" meaning no rips, handles secure, and maybe even "float tested" at least once each season.
[signature]

Cool
I fish alone most of the time, I have an inflatable jacket that I don't wear often enough.
They are fairly comfortable and not much bother, after this, I will probably wear mine for awhile. We all should. God Bless the families!
[signature]