Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of cats at UL
Fished Provo Bay today in my kayak. My usual crew is basking in the sunshine at Bear Lake so I was fishing alone. Entered the water at Swede Lane at about 6:00 and started catching fish right away. Water had just a ripple from the breeze and could not have asked for a better day. Water temp in mid-70s.

I started with carplettes and the cats really went for them... also did well on wb when I ran out of carp. Finally caught a big one. He looked to be just over 30 inches long. I put a tape on him as he, (actually, she) thrashed around between my legs in the kayak and got a rough read of over 29 inches... with a tailgate measurement I was sure he would be my first over 30 incher. The thrashing around between my legs made me a bit nervous (at 77 years old, don't know why) so I put a gripper on him with a leash to tow along side the yak. Worked fine until I finally got back to my take out and had to work through some reeds. Horror of horrors I looked down as I stepped out of the yak and watched my fish zip back out into the depths. The gripper must have snagged on the reeds and popped opened the jaws. I said a few bad words but it did not help.

Anyway, fishing was good today, fist time I have used up all of my bait. Probably caught about 15 or so plus the 36 incher that escaped from my gripper. Ain't fair.[Sad]
[signature]
[#0000FF]A fine fisherman's tale (tail) to entertain us all. There was passion, persistence and an epic battle. And to top it off, the eternal exasperation of losing a huge fish at the last moment. Whew! Could hardly contain my excitement.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]For what it's worth, a lost fish can be anything and any size you want it to be...as long as there were no witnesses to dispute your claims. After all, you are a fellow fisherman and none of us would EVER stretch the truth. We trust you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Might need to change my BFT user name from Boatloadakids to Santiago, huh? It has been at least 84 days since I have taken a 30 incher.
[signature]
Bummer! I can imagine the disappointment. You'll get him on another trip.
[signature]
Dang Lynn! Sorry you lost the big Kitty. I been waiting for you to produce the bump up cat. Still lots of time. Maybe the 36 incher will be your just reward.
[signature]
[quote Boatloadakids]Might need to change my BFT user name from Boatloadakids to Santiago, huh? It has been at least 84 days since I have taken a 30 incher.[/quote]

[#0000FF]No. Santiago was "The Old Man and the Sea". You are just an old man. See? And your tackle is way too refined. Maybe you SHOULD start fishing with a handline.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]We're all pullin' for ya, Lynn. You can do it.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Argh!!! Great story, sorry you lost it before the photo session. I know you’ll find another bigger one soon. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
Good one, Pat. Lynn, I hope you get one that's longer than your yak but don't let the northerns eat it all up before you get to shore. And don't forget, you have to handline it--that can really rip your hands up. The cool thing about your story is that you even have a boy (or two) waiting for you when you get home with your prize.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.