Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday cattin'
Arrived at Lincoln launch about 5:30 this a.m. The idea was to get in a couple of hours fishing before the sun drove me off. The white bass were midge munchin' at the ramp so tossed out a small spinner picked up 6 volunteers for bait duty today.

The water was a bit choppy but under my safe threshold so headed for the Knolls. Choppy quickly tuned to rolling white caps so I almost made a U-turn and headed back but pushed on hoping the waves would calm with the rising sun. They did, but not much. I mostly rode the north wind while dragging chunks of wb. Water was rough but the fish were active and feeding... had a hard time managing two poles. I caught about 18 or so fish with two big males that looked like they would make that 30 inch mark I have been chasing. I chucked them in the live well for a later photo op.

The wind and waves seemed to pick up so decided to make my break back to Lincoln. When I got back near the orchards the water was suddenly very calm?? I dropped the Minn Kota and caught three more fish before finally yielding to the heat at about 10:00. I wanted to get to the launch channel so I could measure my two 30 inchers. When I got them properly measured and posed I was disappointed to note some "ground shrinkage" -- one just at 29 inches and the other 28. Should be good for a slight bump in my contest score. I continue to dance around that 30 in mark but just can't quite reach it... yet.

Good day no matter the wind and heat. Water temp was 75 degrees and the water was an emerald green color and very clear. Looked like Richard and Violet were out again. Pretty sure I saw them out in the deep water. Hope they did well.

The chase continues.

BLK
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you were able to get on the water and do battle with something bigger than cookie cutters. But you evidently ignored the livewell shrinkage factor. It happens all the time. Toss in a fish that will easily surpass your minimum standard and by the time you take it out for an official measurement it will have shrunk by at least 10%...sometimes much more.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here is a picture of TopH2O on Starvation from a couple of years ago. He motored up near my tube and announced that he had a 24 inch rainbow in his livewell. In my most discreet BS tone I "requested" that he show me this beast. WOW. When he took the fish out of the livewell it had shrunk by at least 5 inches. I guess the waters of some lakes have greater shrinking capacity than others.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A fish is the only creature that grows from the moment it is caught to the time the story is told. Or something like that.
[signature]
Good goin Lynn. A bump up kitty at last. Hope this is just start to a good run! Tight lines.
[signature]
We saw your rig in the parking lot with a water trail back to the ramp. I didn't think we were that far behind you, but never did see you until you were on your way back in. We stayed another hour then went in after releasing 21. Our largest was 28"

The water was calm all the time we were out.
[signature]
Lynn,
I wondered if anyone ventured out on UL yesterday morning. It was really blowin up here in Ogden area.
But you done good. I would have been happy with either of your 2 bigger cats, but that 28 incher looked like you had to stretch that last tail fin just a mite to make it hit the line............almost, barely [sly]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Forest,
Odd weather that day. The Lincoln area was calm with little or no wind and seven miles west at the knolls i was fighting rolling waves in a 10 mph NE wind. Usually if the wind is blowing it covers the entire lake.

And yup, I had to stretch that 28 incher —no matter, he does not help my score anyway. Still a nice fish with the typical big and muscular head. I am working on a fish stretcher that will add two inches to any fish without killing it. I should have it ready for use in a couple of days.[Wink]

Watch for a big bump tomorrow.
[signature]
You will have to let me "borrow" that fish stretcher Saturday.............[Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool