Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle Kokanee Limit
Early Saturday morning we had made plans to go fish Electric Lake for Kokanee and Tigers, but due to the heavy rain the day before the road between Thistle and Fairview was covered with two feet of mud just past Thistle.

So we fueled up the boat and talked about where to go. Thanks to a recent post on BigFishTackle, we decided to head to Jordanelle.

This was my first trip there, but I knew the general area to go fishing. Just a short 45 minute drive and we were at the marina. We took time to set up all out poles and made a game plan. I educated Jeff on all the gear and we launched the boat.

When we got down to the dam, there were a dozen boats or more running lines trolling for salmon. Instead of getting in line I decided I didn't want to contend with the mob so we veered off to the East toward the narrows.

After we slowed down the fish finder indicated there were plenty of fish between 30-50 feet. So we got all our gear in the water. One dodger on the down rigger with a light pink hoochie, one dodger on a Tripsie Diver 30, a chartreuse wedding ring on a 3 ounce banana weight and one pole with a black silver Flicker Shad 9 cm.

In less than 10 minutes Jeff had one on with the Tripsie 30 and we landed it! 10 minutes later we landed another one on the wedding ring. So we decided to just continue working this 1/4 mile of the opening of the narrows.

The fishing was consistent. We would see a pod of salmon on the fish finder and in 10-20 seconds we would have a hook up. All the gear except the Flicker (hoping for a big trout) caught fish. The hoochies with the dodger were the best though. Overall we had 10 hook ups and landed our limit of 8.

We saw other fishermen landing kokanee so fishing was good for everyone. We started at about 9:00 and ended around 11:30 and were on our way back to the boat launch. We would have stayed and fished the shore for bass, but we had forgotten to get ice for the cooler.

Here is a link to the video I put together.

https://youtu.be/kv35Efi0EI0

Matthew
[signature]
Very nice!
[signature]
Awesome! I am glad you had some good luck!
[signature]
Nicely done -- I enjoyed your video also....good to hear there's been some success at Jordanelle this year....I'm hoping it'll continue into future years--take a little pressure off Strawberry....Guluk..
[signature]
How far back were you with your 2 oz banana weight?
[signature]
About 30 yards or 100 feet. We think that was getting us down about 30-35 feet.
[signature]
Thanks for the info!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I enjoyed the video.
[signature]
I was going through my gear last night and realized I was mistaken on the banana weight. I was using a 3 oz weight back about 100 feet (30 meters or 3 colors on my metered line).
[signature]
you guys did good

I would be afraid of power boats. on a Sat at 11:30
[signature]
100 ft back with a 3 oz banana weight gets down 40 ft plus at 1.5mph with 10 oz mono or equivalent. Use them all time. I've been trolling 65 to 75 feet back which is right around 30 ft and doing well.
[signature]
Thanks for the information. Is that with a dodger? I am looking around for an Android app or a chart to help me figure out trolling depths with different sizes of weights.

Matthew
[signature]
How are you attaching your banana weight so that it can be easily removed to reel in the remaining 100ft of line? Are they the snap weights others have referenced?

*Nevermind. Watched your video and found my answer. Thanks for posting it
[signature]
The way I've done it is attach one end of the weight to my main line and on the other end of the weight attach a leader and then the dodger and fly or other lure. Don't make the leader so long that you can't net the fish when the weight is at the tip of your rod. But you don't want it too short so that it impedes the action of your dodger or lure. Then let your line out 100' or however long you want your set back. Hope that helps.
[signature]
I have been using a 2 oz. Tadpole diver about 6 feet from the dodger. Using a 8 ft. Light action ugly stick really helps.
[signature]
Thanks for the clarification. When I initially read the report I thought he had his lure 100ft behind his banana weight. His video showed my mistake
[signature]
With a dodger. Precision trolling has depth charts for in line weights but it isn't online. Need to buy it. Try Google search for inline weight depth chart. Redneck outfitters has a very chart[Wink] which I found to be pretty accurate.
[signature]
Also I attach the weight to my main line and then to line going to the dodger. Length from weight to dodger is about 6 or 7 ft. Trick for netting is having the person reeling in the fish walk to the front of the boat. Net man stays in back. Doing that allows you to use an even longer weight to dodger leader if you want.
[signature]
I've never seen one of those. Where did you get it? Might have to try one sometime.
[signature]
Cabelas has them, little pricey.
Off shore tackle, tadpole weighted diver.
Check internet for better price.
[signature]