Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pretty good UL weekend
Big storm blew thru the Utah Lake area on Friday. But we got down to the State Park at Provo Saturday a.m.
Some clouds, light breeze and cool temp to start with. Launched out about 0745, headed north east towards the reed and weed and submerged tree line once out of the marina jaws. First place we stopped, no joy, moved about 500 yards north. Just about 0855 got a hard hit and reel scream on a piece of white bass. Boated nice female. Rough measurement was at 24-25 inch. Not a bumper for either of us, but a nice early skunk buster. Stayed in that same spot most of the day. Picked up a total of 7 nice Cats, had one double hook up. One on my wife's baited line and one on my light line with a jig, both boated, all released, and 4 more white bass to add to the bait bank. About 1 p.m. bite stopped, clouds had all cleared off and was getting quite hot. Called it a day.
Sunday 28 July - We had made a recon drive to LB Saturday afternoon when we left the state park to see if the area had indeed been closed by the algae bloom. It had not, and there were numerous boat rigs in the parking lot. So Sunday morning we set out from LB. No clouds, dead calm water, just a couple other angling boats on the water. Made a direct shot for BI. 2 other boats already there, but spaced far enough away from the spot I wanted that we caused no disturbance. Got anchored, lines out, and set back to have some coffee, SLAM ! My line on the bottom with a chunk of WB took off for points south. 0845, lines not wet even 10 minutes, big ugly male cat netted and boated [cool]
A bumper for my contest score...29 inch and 10 lb. 6 oz. Line re-baited, tossed back out. Started casting a white curly tail Gulp grub out on my light - medium rod with 6 lb. test and picked up a few more WB, had a couple hard hit and releases from what I think were Carp from the numerous that were all around the boat, slurping on the surface, and donated a few jig heads and grubs to the rock monsters. Only boated 3 Cats from that BI spot, but with several more WB for next weekend trip down with my son, it was a productive weekend. HOT but enjoyed and got to leave that UL skunk down there to pester someone else. [Wink] [fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]Glad you were able to get out and spank a few. That big daddy cat looks a bit tattered. You really shouldn't chew on them before taking their pictures.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Word is that the "Lake Closed" signs are now up at Lincoln Beach. Shouldn't last too long.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]If you go out of Lindon again, try going south and fish around the bubbleup. I'll send you some info if you think you might like to try that. I have got some of my best cats on UL fishing between the harbor and the bubbleup. And when the fish are in it can be fast fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat, that would be great. I have not been out of Lindon since about 2003 when the water was very low. I was with a coworker in his boat, so I had really no idea where we were or went. Just may try Lindon area this Saturday with my son.
[signature]

Cool
Thanks for the report. I'm glad the lake was kinder to yo uthis time than last time you came up! We went out of Provo Saturday morning also. We waited for the rain to stop and I think we must have been about 15 minutes behind you. It was a good outing, but nothing close to you 29. Way to go!
[signature]
Glad to see you had some success was wondering what you meant by BI
I have launched out of Lincoln beach a couple times planning on taking the boat down Saturday and seeing what that island just north of the marina has to offer. Anyone know much about it?
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is BI...Bird Island.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hopefully the attached will fill in a few blanks for you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well, TD pretty much answered you question and sent you some good info. I have fished around BI now going on 15 years. If you are planning to take your boat up around or near BI be careful. Keep one eye on your sonar for fast bottom changes, and one eye on the water surface around you. If you see a bush sticking out of the water, there will be rock not very far under it. If you see a bird of any kind "walking" on the water, well his feet are probably only a couple inches under the water on a rock.
There is a rock arm that comes out from the south east area of the island and runs just under the water. I have personally heard at least one boater loose his lower unit on his outdrive by hitting that arm at a very good clip.........and there have been many others that have done everything from a minor prop blade ding to a sheared prop shaft and holed the bottom of their boat. Right now the water depth is better than it has been for several years, but it can change over night.
If you go out from Lincoln Beach, just head mostly straight north-east ish. You will see the island a good half mile or more before you get to it. Stay to the west until you can move in closer at dead slow speed.
Good luck. [fishin]
[signature]

Cool