Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7/31
Gave Willard a shot with Craig yesterday. Launched at South marina 615. Lots of surface activity right outside the marina. Gave a short termed attempt with spinners and such near the rocks along the dike. Then decided to troll over to the west side. About halfway there Craig caught the first fish, a 21 inch cat. Firetiger shadrap going 2.3 mph. Short while later he caught another cat on the same setup. Made it to the west dike just as some wind and chop were starting. Trolled around that side for a little while without any hits. Pulled up the electric and started towards the north end. Short trip. Not long after we hit cruising speeds my darn boat alarm went off. Shut it down and after a quick google search learned it was the overheat alarm. Bummer. All systems checked out- oil level, fuel pressure, what pump etc. The engine was running fine and was barely warm to the touch. But decided not to chance it. So we trolled around staying near the marina until I ran out of battery for the electric. Craig had 2 more investigators, but no hookups. No love on anything I tried. Dealt with the annoying alarm on the short ride back to the docks. Weather was great. Overcast with some minor wind. Water was mid to high 70's
[signature]
Did you put your hand in the cooling water coming out of the motor?
[signature]
Yes it was barely warmer than the lake. It clearly wasn't trying to move excess heat. After trolling around with the electric for a couple hours and not running the big motor, it was now cool to the touch, the alarm would still come on when key was turned on. Figured it was a sensor issue not an overheat issue. Sure enough, got it home and cleaned the sensor. No more alarm and no harm done.
[signature]
My old two stroke 135 will sound the engine alarm if it gets hot OR the small oil canister mounted on the engine gets low. This reserve only holds a few ounces of 2stroke oil pumped to it by a 1 gal plus container mounted near the fuel tank. If it is even 1 oz low the alarm will sound on my boat.
[signature]
Thanks, Shawn, for getting me out on Willard for the first time. Even though I didn't get any of the walleye, wiper or smb I was looking for I at least got my first cats on lures. Two firsts in a day isn't bad.

I tried a variety of lures that might have worked; only the Rapalas got any attention. When we were almost done I clipped on my last option I had left to try which was a silver Rattlin' Rap size 5. Soon after I got it out my rod tip went crazy and I jumped up to grab it, but nothing doing. Next time I'll try it sooner.

Photos below.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That’s a pretty lure I would’ve bit it lol. Nice you got on another body of water and got a couple fish and firsts.
[signature]
Yep. It was a dirty oil level sensor. Quick spit shine and good to go.
[signature]