Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rapala on a down rigger?
I am curious how many of yall use rapalas on a down rigger? I never have but I am curious if those of you have had any luck with them, or what to what to watch out for?
[signature]
I use them frequently.

Rainbow, brown, and black and silver rapalas on downriggers were often my best trout lures during the summer months at Strawberry or Deer Creek.

Nothing really different using them. Up at Strawberry I'd have to check them every 20 mins or so to ensure a small, fightless Cut wasn't hooked and dragging on one.

I highly recommend the tactic.

As I recall I fished them down 20-30' this time of year
[signature]
I second MasterDaad, one of my favorite lures to put behind the downrigger. I really like jointed rapalas behind the rigger. I had a 20+ fish day at Lost Creek a couple of weeks ago that included this nice slot cut, all on rapalas with the downrigger.
[signature]
3 lures that work to catch big cuts at strawberry down deep like 40 to 50 feet down
are rapala, J-plugs and brads cut plugs. some glow on them works
just need to find the right color and speed needs to be faster
[signature]
Absolutely. You can run anything behind a downrigger.

The down rigger is nothing more than a way to get deep when the fish are deep. After that everything is the same as when they are shallow.
[signature]
When I have used a down rigger I have often used a Rapala and done well. I have also caught many fish using nothing more than a whole night crawler on a rebarb hook. I have also caught many fish using nothing other than a large fly. I always wondered what a fish thought was going on to see a night crawler swimming through the water at over 1.5 mph or to see a fly shooting through the water down 40 feet deep.
[signature]
I've often used my Rapala's off my planer boards with success, mostly at Willard Bay, East Canyon, Rockport, even Flaming Gorge for Kokanee in the early season....I usually save my downriggers for stuff like squids, Apex, X-Skull flies, some spoons.....but maybe I'll try a Rapala down deeper off the DR once just for fun.....
[signature]
Hey, Robert, can you explain what "faster" means? Like 3 mph?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote kentofnslI always wondered what a fish thought was going on to see a night crawler swimming through the water at over 1.5 mph or to see a fly shooting through the water down 40 feet deep.[/quote]

oh my god, im dying laughing....I had the same conversation with my grandpa several times out fishing he always had us kids in stitches out there on the lake, god rest his soul.

I too use a night crawler as a "lure" on a rigger....thats what i learned on, that and the classic red and white spoon. Every thing else Ive picked up has been mostly from reading and listening.

i guess in my own mind I always thought of a rapala as a top water lure, i have always had luck on the rivers and bank fishing, when i bought my first boat I lost many to the weed monster at the bottom of cheney res. However thanks all for the tips
[signature]
[quote catchinon]Hey, Robert, can you explain what "faster" means? Like 3 mph?[/quote]

I have Kokanee on my mind all the time. so it is faster than I troll for kokanee.

sometimes, 3 mph may work you never know until you try it.

I love downgiggers because you can put the lure by the fish.
if using a diving lure you need to know how deep it dives
[signature]