Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake weekend....day 2
4 Aug. Son and I had such a fun day yesterday, wife and I made the trip back to Lindon. Got a bit later start. And I guess I should let TD off the hook for his comment about the buoys messed with [sly]. They had been moved. By man or nature, I don't know, but just before we left today there was a guy on a wave runner out re-positioning them. TD, they are now in a fairly straight line from the east bank out to what I guess is the end of the pipe.

Wife and I went out to pretty close to where my son and I had ended up yesterday. Again, first fish boated was a whitie.
Fish hits came slower and less often, but we still beat the skunk back for the day. Used similar tactic today. One line on the bottom with cut white bass . One lighter line cast and retrieved with various Gulp plastics on a jig head, or a FLIG with small piece of WB or Gulp worm cast and let soak awhile in an old Bass anglers fan cast tactic. Had 2 hard solid hook ups and drag screaming runs on Fligs, that resulted in a couple minutes fight back toward the boat, then...SNAP ! Either line broke (6 lb. mono) or something toothy in that water decided it wanted the Flig and plastic more than it wanted to meet the inside of my net and boat. [:/]
The baited bottom lines were more productive and every Cat that hit one was well hooked and boated.

Wife boated a feisty lady Cat that looked as if it could give her a contest bump, so measured and photoed. 26 inches. Ahhh, but that 1/2 inch bump would not be needed.............[Wink]

Then bite stopped for couple hours, the above mentioned guy on the wave runner showed up and re-positioned the buoys.

We had set our quittin time for 1200 noon, and had started to get boat semi straightened out about 1100 when wife's bottom line bent over , drag smoked out, and bad attitude Cat headed south towards Provo.
After a 5 minute tug fest and fight to keep Cat from going under the boat, it broke the surface and Ohh..........baby, you got a bigger bump fish.
Netted, boated, weighed in at 10 lb. 6 oz. measured and photoed at 29.0 inches, released with only injury a 5/0 circle hook wound thru its lip. The big gash in his tail was a pre-existing condition , so not covered by our attempt to do no (real) harm. [sly]

Another day ended well................now heading out to grill some steaks [Wink]

[fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]Congrats to Nancy for the biggun. And you are welcome...for me leaving it there for her.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Fishing fligs on 6# line? Unenlightened or overly optimistic. Those big cats got catitude.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Glad you found some fish...and good to hear they got the buoys straightened out...until the doofii mess them up again.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Two great days! Way to go Forest and congrats to Nancy for that great fish. Great bumper!
[signature]
Congrats! You two are really kicking it this year. How deep is the water there? Do you think a guy could a do any good from the bank?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

And Nancy says thanks for leaving that big fella.

I bought a package of 5 fligs at Anglers Den last week just to give them a try. Intention was to use them for the whites. We had done well in the past with small jig heads, tied directly to our light lines, cast and retrieved slow, letting them pause and bounce the bottom when we fished American Fork.
So I rigged a flig on my light line Saturday and followed the basic instructions on the back of the card. Put 2 small crimp on weights about a foot up the line from the flig. Started out with a flig and a white curly tail Gulp Grub. Had almost instant hits by whities on every other cast. Then a large female Cat took one. I got her to the net and in the boat OK, but was prying my line wouldn't break. Another Cat just a short time later wasn't so generous. Sucked up the flig and grub, ran with it, then did a hard 180 and came back at the boat. I couldn't reel fast enough to keep the line tight and she got to about 2 feet from the boat, showed me her mouth with flig well hooked in the side of her mouth, then ran the line under the boat and snapped it off.
So now that I've tried fligs, I guess I'll have to go shopping at the TudeDude FLIG store and get a selection of them, various sizes and colors. [Wink]

Oh, yea, thanks for the travel instructions and the Lindon intel. It has made some nice improvements since the last time I was there.
[signature]

Cool
Craig, about the only fishable bank at Lindon is off the marina jetties as far as I can tell. South of the marina the banks look pretty thick with reeds and vegetation. How and if it's possible to get in there from the land side, I have no idea.
The marina was 4.5 to 6 feet deep from the dock to the outlet. From the "No wake" buoy it was a pretty steady 6 to 7 feet. At the bubbleup buoys it was 4 to 6 feet depending which way the boat swung in the breeze.
Didn't get much further out in the lake that just off the last buoy, maybe 200-300 yards from the shoreline ?

On Saturday there was a guy sitting in a camp chair just off the side of the west side boat ramp. He brought in a couple Cats while we were getting launched. They looked to be males (pretty dark) and maybe 25-28 inches, but hard to tell from where we were.
[signature]

Cool
No that sounds more like a good weekend at the UL I know and love! I'm glad you had good outings and I'm she got a good cat, and a bit jealous.

Way to go!
[signature]
[quote catchinon]Congrats! You two are really kicking it this year. How deep is the water there? Do you think a guy could a do any good from the bank?[/quote]
[#0000FF]Fishing can be quite good there from the bank, especially during higher water. Try making a long cast out on either side of the pipe...or even further up the shoreline to the north. Bobbers are good to prevent snagging on the old remnants of shoreline restoration in the past. You should easily be able to reach 3-4 feet of water.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As you can see in one picture, it was a nice clean shoreline after the restoration. Right now the shore is lined with low trees and brush. But if you are able to get down through the greenery to the water next to the pipe you should be able to do some damage. Wearing hip boots might improve your chances.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]You learned a lesson us fliggers all learn pretty quickly. Doesn't matter if you are targeting smaller species, Catfish don't read or follow the directions. I have caught some BIG cats on small fligs. That's why even when I am fishing for white bass down there I almost always use at least 14# leader.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You also learned another lesson. Fligs do catch fish. There are a lot of variables in how you rig them and the combo of leader length, flig size and color, bait, etc. can all influence success on any given day. They are fun and the way the fish take them makes them work a lot like circle hooks. Most will be hooked in the corner of the mouth.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The commercially made fligs work fine. But most folks find that the quality of the hooks is not good enough to stand up to magnum kitties very long. They are designed more for panfish and walleyes.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yep, always said, if I didn't learn something new every day.....my day was wasted.

One of my photos from day 1 (3 Aug) showed the yellow flig in one Cats mouth. One Cat that was a companion to a double I got [Wink].

I just may be in the market for a selection of your fligs, to include some big enough for catfish, but none of the real small ones.
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]Several of us regular fliggers use the smaller tailed fligs in Willard Bay and they catch all species. But for fishing Utah Lake...for those big nasties...having a heavier hook and stouter line will see you netting more of the fish you hook.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I'll send you a PM with a pictorial on sizes and colors. You probably have your own favorite colors but I would be happy to make recommendations if you want them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Just for grins, here is a pic of the hot new color we have been showing to the kitties...and they have been giving their approval.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[inline "PERPLE PURCH FLIGS.JPG"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]