Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln report 8/7/19
Ice_sled and I sailed out of Lincoln harbor yesterday morning in search of big bumper cats. We went out to 10 fow and started dragging a Santee-Cooper rig each tipped with chublets or white bass. On my other pole I had a firetiger flig and chublet. It wasn't long before I netted a cookie cutter and proceeded to catch two more in short order. This was odd because Ben usually way out-fishes me. I had a feeling that he would start catching and pass me by and that's just what happened. Every time I looked over his one rod was shaking again. On his other set-up he was trying a slip float and he never had any luck on that. The wind came up around 11 and the bite shut down. We went to the little bay south of the channel to see if the wind was better there. No dice. Then we crossed CDBRC and he recognized Ben. They had the same patterned we had but evidently caught a lot more fish. After that we had had enough and headed in around noon.

It was a nice day with overcast sky and not too much heat. I ended up catching seven cats, the largest a 27"er that we couldn't quite stretch to 27.5 to give me a little bump; Ben ended up with twice as many as I got. He boated a big-headed black 28-28.5 which of course didn't come close to giving him a bump. Wish I had caught it!

I had my first catches on a flig but had a hard time setting the hook on a few. Lost some on the circle hook, too.

Forgot to say that later in the day I baited up the flig with shrimp and worms. I got two bites but they quickly got off. The first time it stripped the worm even though it was higher up the hook. When I rebaited I put the worm below the shrimp. Repeat performance, but this time the shrimp was gone!
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Nice to share the day with you Craig. The last 3 times we were going to fish the wind monster drove us off the lake. Maybe we will get calm seas and bumper kitties next time!
[signature]
I saw your trucks in the parking lot yesterday, been expecting a report on how you did. My motor had a burp in it the day before and I took it down to Lincoln after installing a new filter. I launched briefly to be sure the prop was still turning but did not fish.

Good day today. Overcast with just enough rain to feel good and the water was mostly calm. Mooseman's outfit was the only other in the parking lot and I believe he was fishing the island. I came in around noon and he was still out. Watch for a report from him... hopefully with some big bumper fish.

Weather permitting I'll be after them again tomorrow.
[signature]
Its the beauty of fligs - they present the offering at the perfect level and angle so that the mud cats (bullheads) can pick and choose their menu items - like at a buffet bar. Of course you already know that they are the thieves of the catfish world. Little dine and dash demons with poisonous appendages.
[signature]
Sounds like a good outing, thanks for sharing and leaving the bigger ones rested for the rest of us[Wink]

Keep after them, were still behind those northern guys!
[signature]