Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 08/10
Hooked up with Beggin4Bass in the AM and drove down to UL - put in about first light and and headed out toward the middle of nowhere. Got to about 8-9 feet of water and tossed in some fresh WB to scare up some action. Didn't take but a few minutes to get the first on board then it was fish on for both of up pretty much constantly all morning regardless of the depth which we changed up several times going from about 9 feet to 5 feet and back again. We lost track of how many fish we caught early on but I figure we got into a lot of them. Catching was steady all morning and we left after about 4 hours to get off the water and home around noon.

Caught quite a few large cats in the 8-10 pound range - on real big one broke me off right at the boat - considering the way the fish bent my big Blue cat / Flat head rod - I sure it could have been upwards of 20 pounds - but it got away so it will have to remain a fond fish story that could have been.

We did have to keep 4 of the first few that we caught as they managed to swallow the hardware a little too deeply for even a catfish to recover from - so we reckoned.

They came home for dinner.
[signature]
It sounds like you had a great time. The cats are sure cooperative right now. If I catch one over 20 pounds, I'll look for your hook[Wink]

Thanks for the report and pictures!
[signature]
I was at Lincoln this a.m. just before day light. Was looking for a fast day with all of my wind predictors pointing to very little wind until the afternoon. Not even a hint of a breeze as I left home. Arrived at Lincoln to see three foot rollers coming directly from the north -- no significant wind, but big waves. Launched and tried to hide in the south cove but no escaping the waves. Caught one cat and pulled up to leave.

Saw Richard and Violet launch and met them mid-channel. Looked like they decided to fish the channel for a bit and hope for calm seas. Hope the waters calmed so they could get out in safe water.

That's the way UL is -- mostly unpredictable or subject to sudden changes. Will try again later this week.

Bummed but safe.
[signature]
Well, I'm glad you got a de-skunker anyway.

I don't know how it is at your house, but in Spanish Fork I get canyon winds almost every morning. If I get up and there are little or no canyon winds, then it is usually howling at the lake. Not 100%, but a decent indicator.

I always go anyway if I have time though.

I might get a shot on Friday.

Keep after em, that 36 is still out there!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Excellent.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Took my niece out yesterday afternoon and had to fight our way from Mud Lake back over to Lincoln in that North wind.

It's a good thing the new boat was big enough to handle it.

We caught five cats and a white bass. Funny thing is that we caught more of the cats on small rattle traps than we did dragging chunks of white bass.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
We did fish the channel, and then tried the south cove to get out of the wind. It finally calmed down, and we went over to Mud Lake. The only thing we saw there was a horse standing out in the water eating the reeds. We came up empty until going back accross the lake and caught 2 nice ones, a 25 1/2 and 26 1/2, no bumpers.
By 10:30 the lake was like glass, and it stayed calm the rest of the day. We even went to your favorite spot over by the orchards and sould see lots of fish on the finder but not even a bite. We tried at least 6 different rigs with no luck, we were using white bass. Left about 1:30. It was just good to be out on the water.
[signature]
Thanks for the great reports.
[signature]