Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A not so fishy, fishing report
Had big plans Saturday. Got Cookie and Buckwheat up early. Loaded up the wheelchair and a days worth of grub and gear and headed towards Spirit Lake. There are two spots on the Lake that I can get Buckwheat and his wheelchair into. Alas, after a long drive, we found trucks in every pull out at Spirit Lake, so that was a bust. Then figured I would try out a new 3wt flyrod on sheep creek and see how the cutthroat restoration was going. Same deal. Every spot I could get Buckwheat out to was already occupied with a truck. Feeling a bit cranky at this point we started driving the back road from Spirit to Hoop, figuring to hit Burnt Fork or one of the other creeks on the way to Hoop. Nope, every single spot on every creek all the way to Hoop was occupied. Got to Hoop, and one of the spots I could get the wheelchair to was open - hurray - but wind was up and the Lake was white capped - boo hiss. What a total bust for a long drive. Did finnaly find a small section on Bever creek that I caught a couple Brookies, but was so heavily vegetated that could not get Buckwheat anywhere near it.

So for a fishing report: The creeks and lakes looked great on the north-east side of the Uintas but the crowds ( note it was opening day of Archery also) were insane. Bugs were almost nonexistent - that was a plus. The few minutes I did fish Beaver Creek, the action was on a small Royal Coachman - I think 16. And a beadhead of similar size.

I cant wait for after labor day, both for a little space in the Aspens, and a chance to get back after the warm water fish with a little more elbow room.

Good news... my boat motor is back and I have all the stuff to finish my boat restoration project. Maybe the pirate boat will see water before the ice comes.

No video. Only a photo or two this tine
[signature]
Too bad you couldn't find a place to pull off onto, but I hope come September will be a really nice time to get without the crowds.
[signature]
I think a lot of people were trying to get in the last outing before school starting today (Monday). Labor Day weekend will be crowed too.
[signature]
Well Pirate at least you had a nice drive, that is beautiful country but next time your up that way here are a few places that are wheel chair accessible. Moose pond but you will have company but East Park off of Red Cloud Loop is a great little Reservoir.
[signature]
At least you got to try out your new 3wt. How long is that rod? How did it handle the breeze where you were ? You mentioned both a beadhead (something) and royal coachman - what line were you using ? Same line for both flies ? and you didn't mention the size of that beadhead.
[signature]
Thanks for the locations. I use to be able to pick him up and carry him quite a ways to the shore, but age is catching up to me. Dont have that Rambo bod anymore
[signature]
The 3wt is 7ft 6in. No breeze down in the bottom on the creek, so can not comment on ability to bust wind while casting yet. Line was a wieght forward floating line. Cant remember specifics on it without the box in front of me, but I used it for the whole day. Did not switch to a sinking line for the Nymphs, just put a very tiny split on the leader or used weighted Nymphs. Not many deep pools, so pretty easy to get it on the bottom. The bead head, was a size 16 also. I also caught a couple on a pheasant tail in size 14.. I tried a Joe's hopper and an ant pattern also. Both had takes, but did not stick with em to long.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info, it's good to know that things are a bit on the crowded side... Makes me feel better not being able to go until fall... Sorry you worked so hard for little reward other than the chance to spend some time together in some pretty country... Fall is coming quickly though, so the best is on the way... Later Jeff
[signature]