Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 8/16 w/Grandkids
My grand-kids have waited all summer for Grandpa Hue to take them fishing at Hyrum. Arriving Thursday afternoon at camp I treated our group to a fishfry of Willard wipers. I later took the 4 girls (aged 4-11) down to the shore to soak some worms. The power boat had the shoreline muddy out to 30 yards. After an hour with no bites, we returned to camp. I told the girls that if they got up early Friday, I would take them out on the lake in my boat to troll for some trout.
I arrived at 7 am and the older three and my son-in-law jumped into the boat and got the rods rigged with several colors of 2 1/2 inch crankbaits. We had our first fish on after about 45 minutes. A 12 inch rainbow on a jointed rapala in shad color. As we neared the buoys by swim beach we had our second trout, same size as before.
We continued to troll back and forth near the buoys for the next three hours in about 35 FOW. The girls landed six yellow perch and five rainbows and missed several bites. Most were caught on the jointed shad rapala or a solid red crankbait as seen in the pictures. A fire-tiger lipless crank never got a bite. None of the fish were large, but that didn't matter at all to my little girls.
The girls then had to drive the boat of course, so we spent a half hour doing that before heading to camp for lunch as the Power Squad hit the water. As we arrived, the 5 year old ran up to the 4 year old that stayed in camp and said "Annie, you should have gone. It was amazing!". That sure made this grandpa Smile.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
What a great trip, glad you got to take the crew out and have some fun... Hyrum is fun for that kind of trip for sure... pretty good you were getting the perch to take a trolled offering, that doesn't happen very often for me... Thanks for sharing the report... Jeff
[signature]
I too was surprised that they were hitting the cranks at 2.5 mph. behind the big motor about 80 feet behind the boat. the lures were down 10-12 feet in about 30-35 FOW.
[signature]
Thanks for the report! My son and I are going there this weekend. We have never been there before but someone gave us a free spot at the park so we thought we'd take the boat and stay overnight.
[signature]
Hey good luck and I think you'll have some fun... Remember to get up early and fish before the power squadron assembles and like Burley said try off the swim beach towards the east on the north side of the reservoir... It's crazy, but more times than not, that area holds more active fish... I also do okay trolling north to south along the west end, it's a short run, but I usually pick up fish most passes there... If you like to fish for Koke and have a flasher (dodger) and squid make sure you try them, they are my go to lure on Hyrum... Tip them with either gulp maggots or worm... You should catch some fish unless they are too deep, then use the graph to see how far down you need to go to get your lure in front of them... I use a down rigger or lead core this time of year to get down to the fish hiding out in cooler water zones... Let us know how you do? Later Jeff
[signature]
That's a true calling for ALL grandpa's. Great job, that's more fun than catching them yourself.
Another great place for first timers and youngsters is Mantua. Bobber and small jig, tipped with the Worm.
They will think your "The Greatest,"
Mine have grown up to competition!
[signature]
The water is dropping rapidly, so be able to change presentations and locations.
[signature]
I have heard that there were Kokes in Hyrum, but have never fished for them. Do they die as easily as trout?
[signature]
There sure are a lot of Smiles in those pictures..Nice Work Grandpa!
[signature]
I've seen two different posts saying they caught kokes in Hyrum, one was a rainbow, but the other one was a koke. I suspect they are just wash overs from Porcupine so I don't suspect large numbers of them, but may catch one if you're really lucky... Koke are usually more tender than trout, so this time of year with warm temps and all I wouldn't recommend catch and releasing them... But who wouldn't want to keep a koke compared to a trout... Later Jeff
[signature]