Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mona res?
looking to hit mona res in the jon boat soon when its not 100 out, any tips or info would help, i hear its pretty tight lipped but would like some largies or eyes.
[signature]
No fish in Mona Reservoir. It was stocked with 32,000 wipers a few years ago. Two weeks later the farming community drained the lake.
[signature]
Lots of fish in there... carp.
[signature]
i read fish move in from utah lake is that not true?
[signature]
It is probably not possible. The fish would have to swim the whole length of Goshen Canyon then navigate through through the the Mona Lake Dam. Most of the fish that were in Mona Reservoir before the die off was planted buy bucket biologists. The Carp get in the lake from the Spring Creek inflow. When setting minnow traps in Spring Creek the majority of the minnows were mostly chubs, fathead minnows, and an occasional sunfish.
[signature]
I use to catch a few walleye out of it years ago with my brother in law when he lived in Payson. Havent heard much about it for many years.
DWR has stocked Mona with a variety of fish over the years. Burrston Ponds, which is the primary source of water for Mona, gets heavy stocking with Rainbows, which can move downstream to Mona. Mona was used as a possible brood pond for June Suckers at one time, in addition to the Wipers, LMB, and SMB that have been there over the years. The biggest problem is that it is an agriculture storage pond and if the farmers need the water, they take it. There might be a few gamefish in there, but the primary species is common carp. Take your bow and have some fun !!
I haven't fished for it 30 years and probably never will.
[signature]