Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB on UL with BLK 8-20-19
[#0000ff]Translation: Lincoln Beach on Utah Lake with Boatloadakids. Pulled in behind BLK's truck and boat trailer right at 6 am...as we had agreed. Purty sunrise...a promise for the day. Didn't lie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temp just over 50 at launch with a light breeze. Water temp 75 in the main lake. Water pretty clean for that lake. Lotsa whitie tykes dimpling the surface slurping midges. But didn't even try fishing for white bass. BLK had brought all he needed and I had two dozen LHBE chub minnows in magnum size...5-7 in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started dragging bait out off the point in 9-10 fow. Slow, but BLK scored one cookie cutter cat on a piece of white bass. Then a long period of nada. I suggested we fish 7-8 fow off Benjamin Slough. Started in 6 feet and worked slowly out to deeper water. When we reached about 8 feet we started seeing fish on sonar and then began feeling fish on our rods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was dragging a large whole chub on one rod and fishing a half chub on a flig on the second rod. I had brought along some new gorilla fligs with elongated bodies painted in my new "perple purch" color. I began going back and forth with fish on both rods with fair regularity. I insisted BLK use some of my chubs and accept a couple of the new fligs too. He did, and he got busy with more fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, it was a lovely morning with light breezes and lots of playful cats. Biggest was about 28 inches but plenty of 2-footers and a couple of bigger ones. They really liked the combo of chub meat and perple purch fligs. While most fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth, a couple just gulped down the whole big gorilla flig and meat and required some effort to recover our trinkets before releasing the greedy cats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Looking forward to the cooling temps of fall and the prospect of some bigger fish. Thanks for the great boat trip, Lynn.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
To: The Flig Den, Pat Scouten, Proprietor, Sales, Research and Development.

Order placement:

Mr. Scouten, please accept herewith my order for two (2) dozen of your Perple Purch fligs (elongated style). Please include two (2) dozen of your LHBE chub minnows (if available).

Shipping preference: Air Freight to Lincoln Beach, Utah

Payment: At your request for the above items plus shipping.

So, another great day at Lincoln. Could not ask for better weather or better company. I thought we would surely be cooked off of the water by 10:00 but the mild wind and fast action kept us there until 11:00 or so.

Yup, I'm sold on the perple purch flig. Pat was catching 3-4 fish to my one, maybe more. The cats were really going for the flig/chub combo. I caught one cutter cat that completely swallowed my flig… couldn't ever see it in his gut, turned out to be the only fish that came home with me. I have my flig. Pat brought about a half dozen perples with him and I now have all of them. Thanks again, they should last until my above order arrives.

Lonely on the lake today. Looked like the DWR boys were up to something at the mouth of the BS, several big boats and it looked like they were laying out a big net. Looked like Mooseman's truck/trailer in the parking lot but did not see which way he went.

Anyway, Pat is a quick study type and, as usual, he was anxious to take advantage of my instructions. My singular minor complaint was his absolutely terrible assortment of jokes and catchy phrases.

All in all, a great day and we made a joint commitment to do it again asap.
Thanks Pat.
[signature]
Pat, it sounds like you and BLK had a fine day chasing the kitties. You may have to open up a flig shop and introduce them to the masses or not.
[signature]
In the 3rd picture you have a Gorilla Flig, Correct? What is the size of that weight? And the length of that leader from the weight.

To fish more on the bottom with my Gorrilla Flig I think I need to shorten my leader to about 6 in and not use a 3 in coat hanger. I have about 12 to 14 in past my slip coat hanger.
[signature]
[quote fish_fanatic]Pat, it sounds like you and BLK had a fine day chasing the kitties. You may have to open up a flig shop and introduce them to the masses or not.[/quote]

[#0000FF]I am always pleased when fellow tanglers enjoy success with my creations. But I make them first for my own use...and then end up making a lot of others for folks who decide they cannot fish without them anymore.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I tell everybody I work cheap...and I'm worth it. Truth is that if I charged what my time is worth...for the amount of time it takes to make those fligs...nobody could or would afford them. Anyone who has tried making their own...including BLK...usually gives up quickly. It's simple but it ain't easy...even with a half century of fly tying and lure making experience.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Justaguywaworm]In the 3rd picture you have a Gorilla Flig, Correct? What is the size of that weight? And the length of that leader from the weight. [#FF0080]That is BLK's rig. Not sure what his sinker weight was...and he had his tied directly to his line...not sliding...about 14".[/#FF0080]

To fish more on the bottom with my Gorrilla Flig I think I need to shorten my leader to about 6 in and not use a 3 in coat hanger. I have about 12 to 14 in past my slip coat hanger.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Flying a plane is subject to the factors of lift, thrust and drag. Pretty much the same for fliggin' or fishing many other lures and baits. Depending on how large your flig, how large your bait, how heavy your sinker, how fast you are moving and how long your leader is you may get variable results.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Over time, I have pretty much standardized on using about 1/4 oz. weights...usually the elongated ones I make with my spinner body mold. Only when it is really rocky or weedy do I bring out the clothes hanger wire sinkers...and I do make some as long as 6-8 inches. I also make those spinner body sinkers in 1/8 oz. and 3/8 oz. But seldom use them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have been making the "gorilla" fligs on the heavy 5/0 hooks for some time. But after I located some thicker 1.5" foam pads, I began putting longer bodies on these fligs than the 1" foam I had been using. By making the flotation about the same, but giving the profile a longer shape, they lend themselves better to painting some patterns...like fire tiger, perch, blue/silver and others. So far the fish seem to like them too.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have put the perple purch colors on several different sizes and styles of fligs...as well as on some of my ultra minnow jig heads too. Purple is an underappreciated color and with the vertical bars on this new perple purch pattern it really seems to get a lot of attention.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]About leader length. For catfish it does not seem to usually make much difference, but I generally keep my leaders...between sinker and flig...about 12 to 16 inches. But if you are slow trolling you can make the leaders longer because the "thrust" of your motor will pull the fligs down closer to the bottom. If you suspect you are having trouble keeping the flig/bait combo close enough to the bottom when moving, then you gotta add some weight or slow down.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I bought an assortment of fligs last week. I know they work very well at UL, but the jury is still out on Bear River, and not tried them at Willard yet.
Last Friday and Saturday I kept 2 lines in the water at all times in several spots at the river. One line rigged with a Kong flig with fresh cut carp. One line with a medium flig and a worm ball. I got many, many tugs and nibbles on both, but nothing to take either hook. At one point Friday I was fishing about 20 yards down the river from John. He landed 3 or 4 cats, one being 31.5" that I netted for him.
Wife and I got back to the river Saturday and we both used a varied selection of fligs, baits, weights, in several spots. Same result. John was across the road and landed at least one 25 incher.

Now I'm NOT saying the fligs don't work on the river. They just have not been productive........yet. Will try again this Sunday. But Saturday gonna put them to use at UL out of Lindon with my son.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#0000FF]As with most baits and lures, fligs are not the universal guaranteed solution to all fishing situations. But there are times when they provide more action. Each individual angler has to work out the best way to fish them...and when...on the waters they fish for the species they pursue.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I almost always have at least one of my rods rigged with fligs. And I usually give them a good try on any given trip. But there are times when other lures and baits work better. I can live with that. But they are a great addition to your arsenal and there will be times when you swear by them...not at them.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks to you and BLK for another great report and humorous commentary. I wish I had been out there just to hear you too in the boat[Wink]

I loved the dawn picture with the surface activity. You've certainly sold me on the value of floating bling in any form. When I'm not fishing, purple is one of my least favorite colors. I'l have to learn to tolerate it on the water!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, a good time. Us two crusty old dudes seem to get along okay...even if I do have to share a boat with him.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Purple works. So does pink. But a lot of he-man angler types seem to think they will lose their manhood if caught fishing with such colors. Amazing though how many fish really do smack them. I have even caught a lot of cats on pink stuff being fished for other species. See pic
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Day two.

I went back out this morning and the results were the same,-- lots of cats, the best being 4 or 5 in the 27+ incher range. I did not have any of TD's LHBE chubs but did have some 7-9 inch chubs I caught below the Scofield Dam last year. I tried big chunks of chub and wb chunks on 7/0 circle hooks. Picked up a few cats on each but wanted to try my PP flig again. I cut some 1x3 inch fillets from the chubs and the wb and tried them on the PP fligs -- the cats hammered both set ups. Probably could have caught them all day but the sun drove me off the water about 10:00. Fun.

Noticed lots of basketball-sized schools of baby cats in the channel. Could not tell if they were mudders or channels. The YOY wb were swarming after the emerging midges everywhere in the channel.

No other fools on the water today. Need to rest my arm for a couple of days then plan to get after them again.
[signature]
Man I figured yesterday looked like one of those classic Pat go fishing days when I seen the gorgeous morning breaking... Sure hard to go back to work when I hear you guys having so much fun... This two job thing is really getting me ready for fall when one of them wraps up for the season... Keep thinking that retirement sounds pretty great!!! Just wish I could afford to do it earlier... Glad you guys had such a great day and congrats on your success... Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ah, Grasshoppah, you have learned the way of the flig well.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Glad you had some good groceries to decorate the hooks with. The fillets...from larger chubs or white bass...seem to work well in many places. Perch meat is a good offering too. If you hook the fillets through the end they wave seductively. And you get good hooksets with thinner bait covering the hook.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The balls of kitties are almost certainly bullheads. If you check them closely you will often find a cantankerous little daddy bullhead protecting them.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Congrats on another good day.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Well, I have not given up on them, and I sure ain't cussin at them. The river is just a whole different environment. I wasn't catchin anything recently without the fligs. But a different day at a different place on the river at a different time, can never tell what will happen.
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]There is something else I might suggest. When "chuckin' and chancin'" from shore...on the river or around a lake...it can be helpful to periodically move the flig a couple of feet. Or you can just wiggle and jiggle the rod tip to make the flig dance a little. The little extra motion can help trigger a strike, or at least create a movement to attract fish closer.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most of us who fish fligs do so from a boat or float tube...so we are constantly moving or drifting. That not only allows us to cover more area but also adds motion to help attract attention. So if you are anchored or fishing from shore you might need to add some wiggle for best results. Plenty of times the fish will hit while the baited flig is motionless. But when they hit a moving flig the strikes are sometimes scary.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Tin-Can don't waste you're time on fligs at Willard, especially motor oil colored ones tipped with a worm. I can attest to the fact they don't catch fish, especially kitties. [Sad]
[signature]
The river current, even slow right now, would move it some. Wouldn't it. I have more spots to try and more tactics to think of and try out.
[signature]

Cool
Awww now............... you must think I don't read your posts...........[cool]

So I know you are just pullin my .............flig.................[sly][laugh]
[signature]

Cool
Sounds like a fun time!
[signature]
[quote Tin-Can]The river current, even slow right now, would move it some. Wouldn't it. I have more spots to try and more tactics to think of and try out.[/quote]

[#0000FF]A bit of current might make the flig wave slowly above the bottom. But a wiggle-jiggle makes it look more like something alive and struggling. And if the fish are sedentary during the day...and not moving around much...casting and slowly retrieving the flig will cover more area and put it in front of more fish.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have caught fish on a non-moving flig. But I always do better when I am moving or when I impart some seductive motion to the baited flig. On the other hand, I have had reports back from guys fishing both Willard and Utah Lake from shore that did well by simply casting out and letting it sit with the flig holding the bait up off the bottom. Have also heard from others that fligs work great for floating a crawler up above the weeds for trout...kinda like the old marshmallow and worm tactic.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]When the fish numbers are few and the fish are in an inactive or neutral mode, it is tough to catch them on anything. But sometimes changing up your tactics...like using a flig...will be enough to help stimulate a few extra takers.[/#0000FF]
[signature]