Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle...First Try
I know it's getting late in the season for kokes.(Where did the season go?)..but I wanted to give Jordanelle a try this year, based on some other reports waaay back in July....My results for kokanee at Strawberry were mixed: good to lackluster, thus my interest in giving Jordy a try....Fishing solunar charts said 'Poor Fishing Day' for today, but we gave it a go anyhow....Lots of stuff going on at that Marina...maybe I should have looked at it first in the daylight...we got there 0545 - still dark - and first one there, winding down off the highway, lots of signs to read before finding the boat ramp - which then was really nice....We did start near the east side of the dam, but nothing showing or going on, so about 0730 hit the big opening toward Rockcliffs, finally went over what looked like a nice little group at 39/41', and my buddy hooked up first, 14"er..I circled back thru, I'm on, a nice 16"er...Now we thought, maybe this will work out.....circling this area a couple more times then resulted in 1 smaller rainbow, and 1 nicer G.Brown, but then nothing for a couple hours.....finally, on our retreat, my buddy got hit, a 11"er, and then 10 mins later, just exiting the big opening, I got hit once more, a pink stage 17"er to end the day....Various pink hoochies w/added spin blades worked 'best' for both of us, kokes at 41/42'...rainbows 10/15'....After about 0900 the power squadron started showing up....I may go back again---next year....Guluk..
[signature]
Great report Joe and here I thought the koke fishing was over for this year, sounds like there is still some hope. The down side of The Nelle is all the Power Squadron traffic[Sad] but with chance to catch a bonus brown and cooler days around the corner and less traffic that is plus. How big was the brown?
[signature]
Fished Nelle today. Kokes had lockjaw. Two strikes, no hookups, zero caught. I trolled all over the place. Only saw four other boats and they weren't catching any Kokes. One boat did boat a nice brown.
[signature]
Well that's too bad, I wonder if this little cold front that came through has some effect on them[:/]. How big do you think the brown was that you saw that other boat catch?
[signature]
Hey Curt -- Yeah, I didn't know what to expect there this time of year, so I guess we did ok with the 4 kokes we did get....buddies' brown was just under 20"; nice healthy fish....
[signature]
My guess would be slightly over twenty but not sure. Talked to a guy this AM while we were both gassing up our boats. He was catching wipers earlier in the week trolling pop gear in the north end of Jordanelle. They were trying to catch some rainbows. Claimed they couldn't keep them off their lines. Thought they were really big white bass. Told him what they really were. 15 to 20 ft down for depth. Might give it a whirl next week.

He also fished East Canyon yesterday and got skunked. Was headed for Jordanelle today.
I fished Strawberry with a friend in the big waves today. Lots of cutts two over the slot. Found schools of next years Kokes. Got 11 only 4 big enough to keep. Nothing over 14". Felt like I was deep sea fishing in those rollers. No way I could have fished solo as I had all I could handle just driving the boat.
[signature]
Good report.
[signature]
I keep thinking that pop gear should be a good thing for willard. Tried it but not for long. Has anyone else had those strange impressions? Even tried it?
[signature]
There was a member that posted about doing that exact thing at Willare a few years back. I have not tried it but IMO you would have to troll slower than 2.2 mph, just not sure how a dodger would act going at 2.5 to 3 mph.
[signature]
If I trolled for wipers with some pop gear I would use a trailer of a crome rapala or shad imitation.
I've Sean on TV using a spider rig to trolls for strippers.
[signature]
Yea the lures would be a good choice but I just don't know how fast you could pull a dodger before it started twisting too much. We have actually pulled one of those umbrella rigs for wiper with no success and they have a bunch of drag, if you go too fast.
[signature]