Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knolls
Hi Folks
Been gone for a bit and lost touch with the algie info. My question is does anyone
know if it is safe to float tube the Knolls? Been trying to find updated info on this but
cant seem to. I would be thankful for any info.
Thanks
pa
[signature]
Here is the latest from habs.utah.gov:

Last Update: August 15, 2019
Last Sample Date: August 8, 2019
Advisory Level: Warning for Lincoln Beach, Provo Bay, and Goshen Bay

Warning is the lower level alert, so it sounds like most areas are not even under a warning. Should be good at the knolls.
[signature]
thank you so much for the info. no idea why I couldnt find that
[signature]
Pa, been thinking about the knolls . I'm out of town next week, but will probably run down the first week of September.
[signature]
Larry that would be great. I have to go back to Oklahoma on the 8th so before that would be great
[signature]
is there a place to put a small boat in at the knolls. how do you get there?
[signature]
There isn't a boat ramp there, but if you can carry your boat to the waters edge you can launch a small boat. Here are directions to The Knolls:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=658354;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]Link[/url]
[signature]
[#0000FF]The area around the Knolls has recently been acquired by Utah County. Plans are to add a small ramp when budgeted and feasible. But you can launch cartops and some small boats on trailers. Here is some info on the Knolls.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
i have a 14 foot jon boat i can launch no problem from the trailer at the knolls, ill be there this coming weekend, once you launch head out to about 10fow and you should do well!
[signature]
Thanks for the info guys. Last I knew this area was posted,glad to see it"s reopened. When I saw the post for the knolls thought maybe it was another location.
[signature]
About how far are the Knolls from Lincoln Beach Marina? I would have to launch at LB and wondered if it was worth the boat travel time to go around to the Knolls. My little boat with only 15 hp motor doesn't get much over 8 or 9 mph and that's on calm water with just me.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[quote Tin-Can]About how far are the Knolls from Lincoln Beach Marina? I would have to launch at LB and wondered if it was worth the boat travel time to go around to the Knolls. My little boat with only 15 hp motor doesn't get much over 8 or 9 mph and that's on calm water with just me.[/quote]

Your way under powered and to small of a boat to be heading all the way across the lake. The wind comes up and you would be up #%$& creek without a paddle. You should have no issues launching over at the knolls with the water so high.

This is the knolls: https://goo.gl/maps/PwpJr4TZVUFrF2p4A

fnf[cool]
[signature]
Yea, I was kinda afraid someone would say that.
Don't think I want to attempt to launch at the Knolls. From the photos I've seen, and knowing there isn't a launch ramp, don't want to risk getting boat or truck stuck, or knocking off the sonar unit on the bottom of the hull, or banging up a prop.
I'll just stay in the areas around LB and Bird Island that I know and have safe depth routes charted.

Thanks fnf
[signature]

Cool
[quote Tin-Can]About how far are the Knolls from Lincoln Beach Marina? I would have to launch at LB and wondered if it was worth the boat travel time to go around to the Knolls. My little boat with only 15 hp motor doesn't get much over 8 or 9 mph and that's on calm water with just me.[/quote]

[#0000FF]On the attached map pack for Utah Lake...page 3...it shows the mileage between Lincoln Point and the Knolls as 5.8 miles. Not far...unless you have to beat your way back against strong winds. Winds on Utah Lake? Nah. Never happen.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]You might want to check in with BLK. He makes that run in his boat...a Tracker with a 75 motor. And he still feels underpowered at times.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yup, I was there this morning and I took a real beating from the wind and waves. The cats were there and willing to play but impossible to hold the boat on a steady course. The wind was supposed to die down after sun up and I hung in there hoping it would. It didn't and I had to make a life-threatening run back to Lincoln where the water was glassy calm?? Can't beat it: I go west and it is calm on the east, go east and the west is calm. That's Utah Lake.

When I finally got to the area where TD and I were catching cats last week my Minn Kota was dead. The beating my boat took in the heavy waves knocked a wire loose somewhere so I gave up and went home to sulk. Found the loose wire at the battery and got 'er fixed for another try tomorrow.

I can make the run to the Knolls with my 75 horses with no problems in reasonably calm water. When the waves start rolling I need every horse to get back cross the big water. I would not recommend making that run in anything smaller that my boat... always with an eye on the weather.

Tomorrow is the day.
[signature]
Yea Lynn, I have gotten lots of practice watching the weather, especially the wind up at Willard. It's no where as big as UL, but wind can be disastrous no mater how big the body of water is. So in my little 14' with only 15 hp, I don't risk it.
Too windy, I stay ashore or in protected waters. Wind comes up after I've launched, I get back to the marina soon as possible.
[signature]

Cool
Lynn, you must have left the Knolls mighty early yesterday. We first tried around Provo Bay and then Bird Island (no action at either place) and then boated over to the Knolls around 10 AM. Finally, landed our first cat at 10:15. Two of us ended up landing 13 (extremely slow for Utah Lake) so we could have used your help in locating them. The largest was only 26 1/2".
[signature]
It sounds like you found them if you tallied 13. It can be fast and furious over there at times... especially when the sea is calm. I got there at about 7:00ish but the wind chased me off at about 8 or so with some pretty husky waves. How was the wind at 10:00? My guess is it probably calmed right down after I left.

Next time.
[signature]
There was a little breeze from the east, then from the north, and finally back from the east. Wind was never too bad, but odd to have a wind from the east beyond the first thing in the morning.
[signature]