Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Report Smith Fork Uintas
Ahh, the days are getting cooler. The crowds are thinning. The fish are biting. If only I was retired so I could sneak in more of these kinda days.

Activity Report

First - we spent the majority of the day scouting out a couple ghost town, from the tie hacker timeframe, in the Uintas. This is a great family activity, a nice break from fishing to eat your lunch, a way to keep young kids from getting restless, and fun for us old gezzers that love history. Many of these are very accessible for those with disabilities, too. We spent the bulk of our time in the Steel Creek Commissary Ghost town. If you want more info, let me know as I can point you to some great references and maps.

That said the video attached has a lot of that in it - the fishing part of the video is the last part.

Fishing report

Location - Smith Fork from Steel Creek confluence down to Suicide park area

Time / Conditions - Mid afternoon, sunny and bright. Mid 70s. No hatches. Low water flows until you got down a ways. Water was crystal clear and fish were very spooky. If I put a shadow on the water or if my dogs poked there faces over the bank the game was over. No bugs!!!!

Equ and methods - 3 wt fly rod. I loved the feel and action of this light weight rig on the smaller creek fish. Action on renegades, coachman, elk hair caddis and parachute. All in 14 and 16 size. This creek is small, so it was less about "a river run through it casting methods" and more about hang it over the hole with out getting your shadow on the water.

Results - about 12 in a hour, before Cookie called me back to cook. Could have been many more but not with the help I was getting with an eager German Shepard companion, who also wanted to fish.

Filming was very hard and I only got a few video clips as I was trying to balance the flyrod and fight the brush.

Will be up on the Whitney side this week starting Thur for about 5 days to explore a new ghost town, pan some gold and tease some trout. If any of you are up that way stop in. I always have an extra piece of jerky and some lemonade. Just be careful or you might get roped into a game of liars dice with the pirate crew.

https://youtu.be/r_xjCA_raYA
[signature]
hey CBP, think you could turn your first photo 180 right side up? Looks interesting but can't stand on my head to see it............[Wink]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Great video and report. You really know how to have a good time enjoy life. And I like how you you teach about preserving artifacts, if everyone would heed those signs everyone could enjoy the history that is out there in a clean and respectful way. Very well done.
[signature]
[quote Tin-Can]

hey CBP, think you could turn your first photo 180 right side up? Looks interesting but can't stand on my head to see it............[Wink]

[/quote]

It is right side up on my computer.
[signature]
Another nice video. Keep them coming.
[signature]
Nicely done -- I enjoy your stories and youtube videos....Guluk on more adventures....
[signature]
I always look at my photos when hiking on a hillside. The angle is about right. If not I try slipping down the hill while looking at the photo. Somewhere on the second or third bounce, it all comes into alignment for a perfect second before I black out.........
[signature]
[crazy]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool