Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 8/24-8/25
My son and I headed north to Hyrum this last weekend and had a great time. We launched around 6:15 Saturday morning and started trolling a Panther Martin with worm on one pole and a spoon on the other. It didn't take long and we had already caught some planter bows. Continuing to troll, hoping for something a little bigger, we kept only hooking up with perch. When we got tired of taking fish off the trolling poles, we decided to anchor up at 37 fow and try some jigging. Needless to say, we slammed the perch tipping jigs with worms. When we ran out of worms we switched to eyeballs and had equal success. We boated at least a hundred and picked through them to take bigger ones to the dinner table keeping only about 30. Saturday evening, after waiting for the boater traffic to die down we launched for another trip. This time my girlfriend was with us and she hasn't been fishing very many times. This trip didn't disappoint. Between my son and her jigging and hooking perch we had the most fun time. We played with the little perch until just before dark and then decided to call it a night.
Sunday morning i got up before dark and launched just as morning was breaking. This time i didn't want to just catch perch and instead targeted the large mouths that I've heard about in the reservoir. We drove to the south side and started pitching a colourful crank bait towards shore. It only took about 4 casts, and sure enough, I hooked up with a decent 11-12 inch bass. I continued fishing the south side and landed 3 more before calling it a day at around 10:30 am. I was pleasantly surprised with Hyrum. It is a fun little reservoir with a variety of fish. You also can't beat the fish cleaning stations, very nice.
[signature]
I have a favorite photo of my wife, then girlf friend, many years ago at Hyrum, with a double on perch and a huge Smile. It is my screen saver on my phone. Thanks for sharing, it brought back some fond memories of my college days
[signature]
Great report, glad the trip went well. Congrats J
[signature]