Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Update 8/29/19 -09/02/19 Algae Bloom
Friday the 29th loaded the camper and headed for Starvation State Park (aka Fred Davis State Park). We just finished setting up camp when other family members started showing up, and all seemed to need my help. My kids decided they wanted to go to the beach but when they got down there beach was closed for they were testing the newly arrived Algae bloom. Finally at 6 pm they decided to open the beach with a swim at your own risk designation and after talking with Vard who has worked there a long time said that he has never seen algae on Starvation. When I finally had some free time it was after 7 pm so I decided to to launch an fish a few different areas that I had never fished.

The first new area was directly across from boat launch from the buoy south, I found fish from 22 fow to 28 fow. I tried a number of different tactics swim baits, bottom bouncers but my first 2 Walleye came on old reliable 1/16 oz jig tipped with a crawler. After dark I trolled with cranks for a couple hours only enticing one more Walleye that decided my #5 fire Tiger flickershad looked like dinner. Well, I had hoped for more time on the water but not a Terrible first evening on the water.

Day 2 I had high hopes and headed to RG from the launch and with my little toon it was a 30 minute ride but a pleasant one. Arrived at RG and it was just showing signs of dawn and I anticipated a great morning and a limit of Eyes. Boy was I wrong I only caught 2 eyes and a gazillion sub 10 inch smb. I tried everything but dynamite and just couldn't get on the fish. Note to self next trip bring the dynamite. I talked with several other fisherman as there were a bunch of guys pre-fishing for next weeks Classic. They all had a tough time getting on the fish and couldn't find fish concentrated. Around 11 am I decided to head back to camp and spend time with family so I would not end up in the dog house.

Day 3 my expectations were modest to say the least and I didn't even make it out to fish until 3 pm. I decided Juniper Point might be the ticket so I made the short 15 minute ride and I started marking a few fish that I figured were Walleye. I started a pattern of s turns from 15 fow]to 25 fow heading towards the dam. Started picking up a fish every 10 to 15 minutes with a 3-1 smb to Walleye ratio. A couple things were different here fish were running much bigger with smb getting up to 15 inches and Walleye running in the high teens to low 20s. I did hook into a big eye that eventually spit the hook after I failed to net him on my first try, i expect he would have been in the 6 to 8 pound range and believe it or not I wasn't that upset that he spit my jig because I would have kicked him loose anyway. I finally found an area while they were not exactly stacked but where I could scratch out a limit. Overall I expected better results but not terrible, I have to think that the boat traffic might of had a lot to do with it because it was packed. I think Pat we should fish knight Hollow, Juniper Point and Dam area on FRIDAY THE 13TH yes I'd did say that but I am going to purchase a little more life insurance just for the occasion. The fish are just not in RG in any concentration like on normal years although I did find some on West end of RG in 20 to 23 fow but bites were few and far between.
[signature]
I think that is a picture of RG. It looks like access to launch a boat has been blocked.Did you see a place to back a trailer into the water? That's not being blocked by a camper?
Sounds like you figured out how to catch a few, how was down by the bridge?
Thanks for your report.
[signature]
No, that is a new area in RG where there was nothing before, the boat launch is farther east and seems to always be accessible. As I have said I have seen 20 ft + boats that have launched there. Someone would have to be a real jerk to block it because there is adequate parking. I know that the launch is not an official launch but the people that are using it are treating it as such, which I think is a good thing. I am sorry I didn't get more an better pictures but I didnt fish there much because fishing was better elsewhere. I know that Sunday evening after the boat traffic calmed down is when I did the best.
[signature]
I never fished past the bridge so I would not know.
[signature]
Sounds like a tough few days. But sounded like it paid off in the end.

I was thinking of hitting starvation for a first time on my boat this Saturday. Bad idea with the classic going on?

Fish fanatic. What lures were working for you on day three when you had better success? I picked up some rapala jigging raps to try for walleye. I would also like to target small mouth.
[signature]