Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Report: Whitney, Beaver lake, Multiple Creeks,
I am backkkkk - like a real bad bowl of Chili....

Took the RV and the cowboy-pirate crew up to the Whitney area for the long Holiday. Way to crowded for this old man. Spent a lot of my time dodging ATVs like a professional bullfighter to get a bit of space to recreate. Cookie wanted to challenge me to a repeat of our spring fishing duel at Whitney but it was way slow as was Beaver Lake. Got a few on a fly and bubble (renegade and wolly worm) and some on the Jakes lure. None on Cookies precious powerbait. But the real hot spot was the feeder creeks and beaver ponds around the area. Cookie got mad at me for being ahead and took my flyrod and picked up around 30 in a couple hrs and then declared the fishing challenge was over with her the winner...We also found more of the Mill City Ghost town around Gold Hill, and shared some of that with ya.

Where: Whitney, Beaver Lake and unnamed Creeks and Beaver Ponds feeding the area.

Time: End Aug all times of the day

Weather: mixed warm and sunny with occasional rain storms

Whitney - very slow from the shore (boats were doing okay trolling Jakes, Meps, and triple teaser with a worm tip)

Beaver Lake - Weeds very far out - hard to fish from shore. Tubes doing okay drifting flies, but they would not share which ones.

Creeks and Beaver Ponds feeding Whitney. Creeks and beaver ponds in betyween Beaver and Whitney, and outlet of Whitney. Very fast fishing for Tigers and Cuts from 2.5" to about 8". All the action was on elk hair caddis - no need to change it up. Size 16 and 14. Casting ability did not matter. Cookie is just learning and the fish could care less if she whipped the water or presented a graceful cast. Good practice with success - makes it fun

Also found cuts in the Gold Hill creek while looking for a some good spots to pan gold, but did not have the rod with me to agitate them.

Here is the video. Some tomfollery as always and a bit at the end about the Gold Hill log flume (long gone now)

https://youtu.be/RqAaRNaFMZA
[signature]
Great post I really enjoyed your video, looks like you ended the summer on a high note.
[signature]
It was a good trip. Will make it up a couple more times to chase goldens and brookies, as it cools, but I have got to get back to my grand slam challenge, and most of those missing species are not in the mts.
[signature]