Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labor Day Cats on Utah Lake
My neighbor, Fred and I took his son fishing on Labor Day. Started the day around 8:00am. Got the boat hooked up and headed to Provo Harbor and launched around 8:45. Only a few power boats were in the water, but I knew there would be a lot more.

The forecast was putting us in the 90s for the day so we wanted to just get in a couple hours before it got to hot.

Trolled slow out of the harbor to catch a fresh white bass for bait, but nothing wanted to help us out.

First thing we did was head over by Powell Slough to set my trot line. After that was set, we headed out to deeper water where there was a definite line between the muddy water and clearer water.

Our plan was to troll with the electric around 1/2 mph and drag our baits along the bottom.

Rigs are a 2/0 Eagle Claw L198 Circle Hooks on a 18-24 inch 30 lb leader, with a small 1/4 to 1/2 oz slip sinker stopped by a barrel swivel. We baited with a nice healthy chunk of white bass.

In less than five minutes we had our first hook up. I had Fred's son reel it in. A nice 26 incher who gave him a good fight.

We let the wind blow us over to shallower water and continue to troll slowly parallel to the shore in about 3 feet of water. We picked up a twofer and landed a couple nice gray colored cats.

Things slowed down and we moved over to the reeds by the canal outlet just west of the Provo high school. Nothing and so we went and picked up the trot line to head home. We had two on the trot line, but one shook off and we netted #4 to come home with us.

Overall it was a great day and Fred's son reeled in two nice cats.

Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/rxIIKtq4uDQ

Matthew
[signature]
Glad you guys, got Kevin some fun cats! Thanks for the video.
[signature]