Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seats open for trip to Marshall and Echo for Goldens and Brookies
A while back a group of us were discussing a fall trip to Marshall for a shot at a big brookie and Echo to check Goldens off the grand slam list.

Cookie and I will be going on the 14th (sat) with plans to hit these two lakes. I will have 2 extra seats in the UTV. One is reserved for Craig if you can make it.

Would love some more BTF company if others want to join. You can make this trip in a 4x4 but it is a very rough road, so I prefer using my UTV.

I will be bringing chili for any that join.. just please dont be grumpy when cookie out fishes ya, I have learned to bite my tongu. I can show ya how.
[signature]
Are the two lakes just in off the mirror lake highway?
[signature]
Going up from the Kamas side, on 150, you take the Murdoch Basin exit. Echo Lake is about 5 miles in and Marshall about another 3 past that? Those mileages are my best guess. Someone else may know more exact.
[signature]
[Yes I've been in there twice, but that was 20 years ago. Drove my pickup with small camper.
I'm guessing the road is not the same now, rock crawlers and monster tires can really mess up the road.
Is it to rough for my atv? If not I'll follow you in. Love those California Golden trout.!! You can see them 20 feet down.
Drop me a pm when you make your plans. Remember there will be hunters there to.
[signature]
Your atv will make it fine. Plenty of people still make it in with stock pickup, but last year I hit a rock wrong a tore up a wiring harness, so I prefer my utv option now. Will finalize things mid next week. Looking forward to it
[signature]
Yes, I'd love to go but I have to check with my social secretary to see if my calendar. Here she is now. She says I'm supposed to go to a board meeting for her company but that she won't insist that I go. So it looks solid. Plan on me.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Would love to go show you guys how to catch brook trout at Marshall but couldn’t handle the piddled away time at Echo chasing parr marked goldens😁. Just kidding but when you guys fish Marshall make sure you bring float tubes or something to get out on the lake. The best areas are out on the northwest end and the west side by the rockslide. Look for goats up on the slopes! Oh, and bring 1/16 oz. marabou jigs in black, olive and purple.
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions. Any hints for us that are bank-bound?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.
Probably the west side along the rocks and north of them. Cast the jig out, let it sink to the bottom, and jig the bottom 18” all the way back. Most hits will come on the fall on slack line so watch your line where it enters the water. Oh, and hope for little or no wind. Wind is a jiggers’s enemy.
[signature]
For those who indicated they want to go, Cookie and I plan to be at the Murdock basin atv pullout about 7:30 Saturday. It's up the Murdoch basin road about 1 mile. If that is to early (not sure where people are driving from) could back that off an hour. I am pretty easy. Just looking to get out and have fun with friends.

I have a red f-150 crew cab and will be pulling a trailer with a Honda UTV.

If you want more details feel free to PM me or my cell is 385-630-5476.

By the way our names are Lance and Carey, if that helps. Although we answer to most anything.

If weather forecast gets crazy , we will adjust date.
[signature]
I am going to add one small variation from brookieguy's suggestion for bank tangling. If fishing from a boat/tube/etc I agree totally with the jigs. From the bank, however I think you might get fewer bottom snags if you use the clear plastic bubble full of water with at long leader and leach or wooly bugger patterns in black, olive and purple. I also add brown - and I like patterns with a red or orange tail. When pulling your offering back to shore the water gets shallower as you approach shore. With a lead head jig, the chances increase to snag up on the bottom. Brookieguy knows what he is doing, I just suspect he is usually fishing from a floating device out in the lake rather than from shore. see if that doesn't help.
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Last year it was too windy to try surface flies at Echo so we used worms under bobbers near the bottom and they worked well enough for the goldens. Will they work for brooks too? That way I could use two poles.
[signature]
Never met a brookie who refused a worm.

Thanks "brookie dudes" for all the advice. I will add to my arsenal.
[signature]
I cant believe you are not going to sneak in early and be waiting on the shore with stories of having caught them all already - to bad you cant join, I heard them goldens are reaching 4lbs now [Smile]........ we will leave the 4 inch ones in the lake for ya.
[signature]
I always have some wolly worms in the vest, but I need to restock my leach selection thanks for reminding me - too bad you cant join us
[signature]
Yes, take worms. I don’t do it often, but tipping your jig with a piece of crawler can help. At least temps them back if they hit and miss. I’ve had good success on Gulp! Minnows also.
[signature]
If I ever hear of Golden’s approaching 2lbs. anywhere in the Uintas I would go through a lot of trouble to get to them.
[signature]
Give us a report after you go. Before they restocked Echo and a few other lakes Goldens were a 1 in a 10,000 cast fish this time of year up there. Only reliable time to catch them was May and June. Are the numbers still holding up because I don't think Utah is able to get any more Goldens from Wyoming?
Pickups should be able to make the 7 miles to Echo but they bounce around so horribly that it's an extremely slow drive. Jeep Wranglers also really have to crawl as much of that road turns the occupants into bobblehead dolls even at really slow speeds. UTVs do a little better but should still share the road with vehicles that can get in and out much quicker. Sorry but can't tell you how many hours I've wasted by inconsiderate drivers with suspensions that aren't well suited to anything but crawling in and out on that road.
If you're in an UTV I'd suggest having a dust mask available just in case you need it. The road from Echo to Marshall is usually relatively benign in comparison.
[signature]
Back in the days that I could breathe at that altitude , about every other trip I liked to make the hike up to "Joan" lake. It always seemed to me that the bookies ran a touch bigger up there...... either Joan, or Echo, never been skunked with a brass & orange dots Jakes.
[signature]
I have never wore off the shoe leather gaining the altitude to get to Joan, but I really need to. The photos of that bench are stunning. My bride has already rigged her ultralight with a Jake's Lure. It will always be her goto starting point in the Uintas. Cant say I blame her. Lots of slimers have fell prey to rig.
[signature]