Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trip # 10 to Willard
Willard Bay has not been kind to me this year. Probably any reason between higher than normal water level to not holding my mouth right, but yesterday I made my 10th trip to WB.
I was the first and only person at the south marina at 6:50 a.m. just as the sun was peaking up over the mountains. Thursday nite had been a weather hissy fit and Friday morning the clouds had still not decided to clear off or open up and rain, but the air temp was low 70's and Willard was empty of other boats as far as I could see in any direction. The south marina water level was still higher than this time 2 years ago and calm as green/brown glass.

I headed directly for the area off the feed lot, my intention to wash worms and soak some cut carp. By the time I got out to my desired spot there was 2 more boats on the water, seemingly with the same game plan. But the absence of the past weekend Labor Day Power Squadron was sure a blessing.

I dropped one braided line in the water with a medium size chunk of Bear River Carp on the bottom. Lots of almost immediate, but hesitant taps and tugs. So I down sized my second line to one of my 6', medium weight, 6 lb. mono rigs set up with a medium yellow head flig (commercial, not a TD flig) and a half of a worm about 6 inches below a small weight. Cast it out, and while it settled, got a fresh cup of coffee. I played that flig line for about 40 minutes. Multiple cast and retrieves in multiple directions.
On about the 30th cast, that flig and worm got hit on the drop before it could get to the bottom. Took several minutes to get that Cat to net, but on lite line its a real hoot playing an aggressive fish and not having a line break.
And that's one draw back of smaller bait on smaller hooks, a greedy fish tends to suck it way down. I could barely see the top of the flig so cut the line and released it.
YAY.....that broke my Willard skunk streak of 9 previous trips and no joy. [crazy]

As it is prone to do, wind came up out of the west, starting to raise some waves just short of white caps. With the heavy wind from Thursday nite, and the unsettled look of clouds so far that morning, I chose to head back to the marina to either wait it out or quit early if the weather turned bad again.

Only had to wait about 20 minutes. Wind calmed, started seeing blue sky behind the clouds in the west. Went back out to the general area, and joined up at a distance with 3 other boats. Changed out my braided rig for a second 6', medium
action rod with 6 lb. mono and a medium TD flig with half a worm below a small slip sinker. 10 minutes in the water, SLAM........hard hit, aggressive run, strip off lots of line. Got the rod out of the holder, lift rod, tightened up on the drag, hook set ! Another nice play and reel, play and reel, up to within 2 feet of net, rod in right hand, net in left, left foot on the gunwale to prevent falling overboard, SNAP....[mad][mad] line broke!

Tie on another flig and worm, cast back out to same location, and DE JA VU all over again!!! Almost like ground hog day only on the water.......[mad]

Not used that rod this season, had been re-spooled with new line in April, but has been in the rod rack in the boat shed since. Think maybe the heat in the shed this summer has made that line brittle. The other rod with same mono, spooled at the same time, has been in the boat and used often the past month and only break off it had was a fish getting under the boat. OK, that reel got new line yesterday .
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks, I always look forward to your reports/stories. I know your up on the latest info.
I had to comment on that BEAUTIFUL picture of the south marina. I dream of finding the docks free.! No crowd.
I'm surprised you aren't getting wipers on you flig and worm setup, Two years ago I caught lots of cats and wipers on a slow drift in that area.
Any bird action?
Im watching for a temperature change maybe next week. Hoping.
Thanks
[signature]
Forrest, I was directly out from the tower. Thought that might be you just south of me. Started in the North marina, a couple fish in a couple hours. Moved to the feedlot and did much better. Ended up with eight or nine kitties. Best producer was a pink flig.
[signature]
"I'm surprised you aren't getting wipers on you flig and worm setup, Two years ago I caught lots of cats and wipers on a slow drift in that area."

[#0000FF]Wiper numbers are way down. There have been some years when I have caught the heck out of wipers all year on even the small tube jigs I throw for crappies. And I almost always get them on minnows, when they are around. But there have been far fewer fish the past couple of years. The remaining large fish of the predominant year class are likely to be gone by next year...and the upcoming smaller fish are not very prevalent either.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Last year I caught no wipers from my tube. This year the only one I have landed was while washing lures behind a boat. My average in years past was at least two wipers on almost every trip between May and October.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Believe me, if the wipers were around they would eat fligs. White bass love 'em.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Lots of Terns flying, but very few diving.
[signature]

Cool
It appears that the DWR no longer wants Willard to be a great Wiper fishery.
They have cut way back on Wiper stocking the past few years.

My hope is that with the absence of Wiper the Walleye action will get better but so far it looks like Catfish have been the real winners.

And the DWR doesn't even stock Catfish.
Go figure.
[signature]
[#0000FF]It's difficult to say whether or not the Willard wipers are undermanaged, poorly managed or mismanaged. Granted, that lake is tough to figure out because of the vagaries of annual rainfall, water users' demands and other factors.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]And then, wiper stocking numbers are predicated upon forage base...the shad population. And the shad population is even harder to predict than wiper numbers. There are so many variables in the beginning of the spawn, the length of the spawn and total survival of the newly hatched shadlets. There have been years when the shad numbers were huge and the wipers and walleyes were few. And there have been years when the predators cleaned up their available food supply (shad) quickly and then got hungry and skinny. Good for anglers but not for the fish.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here are two comparative Willard Bay Reports from DWR...2013 and 2017. If you look at the tables for netting results you will note that wiper populations have declined since 2014. By the way, due to a change in DWR staffing there has not been a report completed since the 2017 report. I suspect the downward numbers for wipers would continue.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great report, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had some fun but two break-offs/lost FLIGs in one day sounds hard to swallow. Were all the fish lively cats?
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks for the links Pat. Interesting analysis on wipers from the 2017 report:[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
Quote:[#000000]Regardless of the accuracy of the current estimate of wiper relative abundance in 2017, the long-term trend in wiper abundance in Willard Bay Reservoir over the last three years has been one of decreasing numbers. The observed decrease has been in line with the objectives of fishery managers who chose to reduce stocking of wiper fingerlings in order to gradually bring the wiper population down from highs in abundance observed in 2013-2015. It was felt by managers that recent highs in the wiper population were approaching a threshold where food resources would become limiting, resulting in poor growth and condition of wiper, as well as other managed sport fish such as walleye and channel catfish. Evidence of that scenario manifested in 2016 when numbers of YOY gizzard shad (the primary forage) became unusually low in late summer and the corresponding condition of wiper and walleye declined significantly, lending support to the decision to reduce stocking until predator abundance decreased and there was less competition for food (Penne 2016). Considering the long-term trend of reduced wiper numbers coupled with the higher water level and increased forage observed in 2017, it is recommended that fishery managers stock the full quota of 250,000 wiper fingerlings in 2018 with the intention of increasing wiper numbers in Willard Bay Reservoir. In addition, if wiper fry are available that are surplus to statewide needs, those surplus wiper fry should be stocked in Willard Bay Reservoir in 2018 as well.[/#000000]

The 2018 wiper stockings of 435,482 exceeded the goal of 250,000. They have stocked 159,520 wipers so far this year and that will probably be it for the year. The stockings this year are in line with the stockings from 2015 thru 2017. It's a shame that reports haven't been forthcoming since 2017. Perhaps Mr. Penne could still give us some numbers showing the wiper trend from the gill netting [#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]efforts [/size][/font][/#800000]even if a full report hasn't been published. My memory gets worse every year, but I'm fairly sure I caught about 5 wipers trolling this past summer. I think my walleye count for the year is 7 or 8. I kept all the eyes and let all the wipers go.

[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Larry,
Was that you in a small white boat? I would have motored over and said hi if I had known. Don't you usually go out in a tube?
[signature]

Cool
Quote:Were all the fish lively cats?

Jim, I have to assume they were Cats. I was in an area that is usually a good Cat producing spot, and as Larry said, he wasn't too far down the wall from me, and he caught several. But no matter what type fish, having 2 break offs back to back like that is certainly not the norm for me. And pretty aggravating. [:/]

I didn't go fishin yesterday cuz I had some maintenance tasks on the boat I wanted to do that required a trip to Cabela's here in Farmington. I took a very close look at that rod and the first 40 or 50 feet of line off the reel. Wish I had done that before I got it baited up and in the water. I have no memory of any problems with that rod last year, and I replace my line on all my rods at the beginning of every season. But yesterday I found some splits in the last 2 line guide linings.
I have the hunch that the 6 lb. mono was going out OK thru those guides on the cast, but when they got loaded up with a fish on the hook, those splits spread open just enough for the line to get between them and run across the rough edge of the guide.

That rod was a "yard sale" find probably 15 years ago. It was an old "Carbomax" (never heard of that brand or name of rod but it was in perfect shape and has caught lots of fish) 6'6" Medium weight rod. It has been one of my favorite general duty poles for many trips to Willard, Hyrum, East Canyon, and several community ponds.

Well, I gave it an honorable retirement to my dumpster, moved the reel to another pole that had a cantankerous old reel that I just haven't had the guts to get rid of. So now hopefully I have made one serviceable rod and reel out of 2 bad ones.

It's kinda funny, my wife bought that rod and 2 or 3 more at the same yard sale back when she and I and the 3 kids were all fishing and equipment costs had to be kept to a lower budget. All of those rods have served me very well for many years so we have gotten more than our moneys worth out of them. Now that I can afford better, newer equipment, I just have a hard time getting rid of some of the older stuff. Sentimental I guess. [:|]
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]I have an inquiry in to Chris Penne...regarding the 2018 report. Hopefully we can get it if it is done.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Chris was bumped up a notch in the hierarchy and there is a new biologist in charge of Willard. His name is Cody Edwards. Chris is still his senior but is less involved in the day-to-day aspects. When Cody came in he inherited a pretty large workload, in addition to a complete learning program on the waters to which he was assigned. Hopefully he has had time to catch up and complete the report.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I am particularly interested in hearing what the DWR evaluation of the wiper/shad ratio is this year. True, they just planted a lot of newbie wipers and they probably have not grown large enough to have a significant impact on the shad yet. But most of us who watch the progress of the shad balls on sonar can attest that they seemed to be smaller and fewer this year...in most parts of the lake.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope we don't end up with another imbalance that results in poor growth and survival of the predators. But the upside of that is hungry fish are more catchable by silly fishermen.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"That rod was a "yard sale" find probably 15 years ago. It was an old "Carbomax" (never heard of that brand or name of rod but it was in perfect shape and has caught lots of fish) 6'6" Medium weight rod. It has been one of my favorite general duty poles for many trips to Willard, Hyrum, East Canyon, and several community ponds.

Well, I gave it an honorable retirement to my dumpster, moved the reel to another pole that had a cantankerous old reel that I just haven't had the guts to get rid of. So now hopefully I have made one serviceable rod and reel out of 2 bad ones."

[#0000FF]Get that old favorite rod out of the dumpster and let me have a looksee at it. I have been building and repairing rods for years and have a pretty good collection of all kinds of guides and tiptops. Chances are that a new set of guides can restore your legacy fishing tool to favored status.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]After all, you wouldn't dump an old friend just because they got warts. Well, maybe some of them...like the guy who always knocks a big fish off your line with the net if you are beating him.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the offer Pat. But that dumpster now has about 3 feet of "stuff" on top that I have no desire to dig thru. [pirate]
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]You wouldn't make a very good private investigator...or a politician.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Just for future reference, I have helped quite a few BFTers salvage their favorite sticks. And also for future reference, you really should check your guides once in a while...especially if you use braids. Even a slight groove can rough up your line and weaken it. Not a good thing when trying to bring in a biggun. At least not for you. Good for the fish though.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yup, that was me. I'd much prefer to fish from my tube, but the good Lord has gifted me with a bum knee this summer. Spent a few hours tubbing with Pat earlier this week and limped for three days. Thankfully, through the graces of modern science, I'm getting a new one the end of October. Might be a little slow ice fishing this year but should be good to tube by ice out next spring.
[signature]
[#0000FF]New handle...BionicBiker?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Good luck. And the offer is always open to come down and get some show and tell on fligology. Gotta have something to keep you off the streets and out of trouble if you can't go fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm glad you figured out the problem. I had a similar issue on Saturday morning. I had rigged up a shallow running crank bait on my ultralight for the troll out of the harbor. I was hoping to catch a white or two on the way out. I gave it a little flip next to the dock and the lure and 3 feet of nanofil just fell in the water by the boat. I got my arm wet above the elbow, but I save the lure.

I made the bad assumption that something else had frayed the line, so I redied it while we cruised toward the harbor mouth (in the dark). I got it retied by about 2/3's of the way out and tossed the crank toward the rocks. It went out about 10 feet and twang! the line broke again. This time I couldn't reach the lint in time and it sank. (I almost cried, it was hand painted by TD)

I put the light on the rod tip and sure enough the tip guide had two cracks in the lining. Someone a bit clumsy had apparently stepped on it[Wink] I retired that rod for the day and glued on a new tip when I got home.

I still haven't figured out how to fix the clumsy guy that stepped on it though!
[signature]
Jim, that clumsy guy has been in my boat quite often......[crazy]

I we all get a bit that way as we age.............right ? Not that I'm saying you are old or anything..............[Wink]
[signature]

Cool
Quote:You wouldn't make a very good private investigator...or a politician.

That's actually a good thing.............never had the desire to be either one, especially a politician. Most of those fellers and quite a few ladies also belong in the same dumpster where I dumped that old rod. And for the same reasons..
They are old, cracked, and unreliable.......[mad]
[signature]

Cool