Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch You Say, I Say Jackpot!
I hit Starvation this morning and launched from Juniper Point at 6:45 am and had my first taker in 25 fow within the first 15 minutes a Walleye around 15 inches. Over the next hour I caught just one more Walleye a 13 incher and around half a dozen smb that were running bigger than I normally catch. I decided to head toward the Dam bottom bouncing but that didn't last long because I kept on getting snagged so I started trolling 3/8 jig tipped with a crawler on one pole and a gulp leach on the other at .3 to .5 mph. Something a little different was hitting my crawler pretty much constantly but I couldn't hook them. Finally my pole with the leach bent over and the tip almost touched the water and I was on for about 3 seconds and then it bit me off, no doubt a good Walleye. By the time I got to the pump house I had no other takers but my jig with the crawler was still getting harassed. I started thinking I had to find out what was harassing my crawler even though I had my suspicions.

I had been marking large schools of fish from 20 to 26 fow so I went on the search for one of those schools and when I found it I dropped anchor and changed to a 1/16 oz jig and over the next 2 hours totally killed the Perch they were not monsters but I caught a boat load keeping a bunch of 10 to 11 inchers. I figured I must of caught close to triple digits keeping around 40 of the biggest before my crawlers ran dry.

After getting on the Perch I never thought much more about finding the eyes but this being opening day of the classic I talked to many guys that were struggling. Out of the 5 teams that I spoke to no one had a limit the one that had the most was a buddy of perchinski Brandon that had 4 but he caught those early and after the sun came up was battling perch that were harrassing his crawler.

I was quite content catching a grundle of Perch especially since this is the best I have got into them on Starvation in a long long time. Sorry for the lack of pictures I was too busy catching fish which is nice problem to have.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, those perch look healthy
[signature]
We were up there on Saturday as well. Only caught two perch, but one was a hog. We were targeting walleye and only caught a couple little ones. Lot's little smallies as well. Too bad we didn't get into the perch like you did. Sounds like a blast.
[signature]
It was a blast and from everyone that I talked to that were fishing in the classic said it was a tough bite. After I got into the Perch I pretty much stoped targeting the Walleye. I did catch a couple of Walleye early.
[signature]
Thanks for the report! That is a positive sign that maybe, just maybe I hope, they are on the rebound!
[signature]