Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB White Basslets on the Fly 9/7/19
Ventured down to Lincoln Beach on Saturday. Caught one 26.5” channel cat early on a perchlet. With my other rod, I tried to catch some white bass for bait. I could see where several were breaking the surface in the harbor feeding on the morning hatch. So I abandoned my spinners and curly tail grubs and tied on a fly behind a bubble. Caught a handful of white bass babies in the 3-4” range. See photo. They made great bait, but only got one other hookup on a 23.5” cat. Good day, but a little slow.
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Great picture, thanks for sharing. I have used several type of flies for those little guys. It is almost as much fun as cats...almost!
[signature]
Yeah, it was pretty constant bites until the sun was full up, then died rather quickly. If a guy were more patient than I, he could really stock up on some bait. I suspect those basslets would be great for fall and icefishing seasons.

Hope to get out with you again sometime Jim. Craig keeps teasing me with a new boat he says he bought, but I haven’t seen it.
[signature]

[#0000FF]Lotsa ways to catch those bitty bites. You have already discovered flies. But little jigs under a bobber...with a tiny piece of worm...work well too when the fish quit hitting the surface. I make some tiny jigs I use for catching chubs and shiners that also have a lot of appeal to wittle whities.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Long drive, but I'd sure like to have a bucket of those.
[signature]
Good going, little brother. I was wondering if you, Jim, and others could be specific about which flies you use.

And about the boat: if you weren't so picky about working and making a living you could come with me practically any weekday. That offer goes for anyone who has the time free.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Yeah, I would like to get some of those and the kong fligs especially in the new purple color. Maybe I could make it up there and take a tour of the tackletorium. How much is the admission fee, again?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I’m not real sure on fly names, just wanted something close to what I observed on the morning hatch. I assume they were Mayflies, but, again, not real sure. I am attaching a closeup of the fly. For behind a bubble on a spinning rod, I prefer a fly with a little foam to keep it at the surface. I only had a few flies with me, and the others were all much darker. Probably not much help, but the picture may steer you to something that works.

And yeah, I do have to work to support my fishing habit!
[signature]

[quote catchinon]Yeah, I would like to get some of those and the kong fligs especially in the new purple color. Maybe I could make it up there and take a tour of the tackletorium. How much is the admission fee, again?[/quote]

[#0000ff]Ever hear the expression "If ya gotta ask, ya can't afford it"? Just be sure to bring an audited financial statement for my controller to review before you are admitted.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, I work cheap and I'm worth it. If I had to charge a reasonable amount for the time I have invested in some of that stuff nobody would want it or could afford it. That is especially true of the new perple purch stuff. Several extra steps that are quite time-consuming.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Reminds me of the old farmer who always won the prizes for the best hogs at the state fair each year. An agricultural official for the state visited the farmer and was being shown the feeding operation. He couldn't believe his eyes when he witnessed the farmer's two hefty sons carrying a pig out to an apple tree and then up a ladder to allow the pig to eat apples directly off the tree. Incredulous, but not wanting to offend the old farmer, he asked "Doesn't that take a lot of time?" To which the practical farmer answered "What's time to a pig?"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have tried to plan a trip up here for you a couple of times before. You would be welcome to visit anytime I am not out fishing...or playing golf with Donald...Trump, not Duck.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the issue of flies and jigs...those whitie kids are feeding mostly on midges...chironomids to the fly flinger set. But, unlike wary overfished trout they are not all that selective. Almost anything they can waylay they will munch. However, if you wanna try to match the hatch there are lots of small midge patterns...for larvae, emergers and adults. But almost any small size 12 or 14 dark pattern will get munched. Hares ears and pheasant tails are a couple of worthwhile patterns.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As the white bass tykes grow a bit, they will smack all kinds of small jigs and other lures...often attacking offerings much larger than you might expect them to try to eat. I have caught 4" whitettes on small crankbaits almost as large as they are. (see attached picture) But for mass harvest it is hard to beat a small jig and fly combo...in dark midge colors...with a piece of worm tipping the hooks. No purists need apply.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"We have tried to plan a trip up here for you a couple of times before."

You must think I'm a real flake. The problem is that I have to coordinate with my sweetie. We'll find a time that works.
[signature]

[#0000FF]As a longtime survivor of holy wedded macaroni, I would never presume to suggest you test the boundaries of awful wedded bliss for something as mundane and non-essential as fishing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As an old Chinese proverb states: "The oxen is slow but the earth is patient". (One of my favorite lines all time...from the Tom Selleck movie "High Road to China".)
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"As a longtime survivor of holy wedded macaroni, I would never presume to suggest you test the boundaries of awful wedded bliss for something as mundane and non-essential as fishing.

As an old Chinese proverb states: "The oxen is slow but the earth is patient". (One of my favorite lines all time...from the Tom Selleck movie "High Road to China".)"

I was trying to think of something snappy to write in reply. I realized I was just out of my league. You are the Master and I am but Grasshopper. Have you caught any flies with your chopsticks lately?
[signature]

[quote FatBiker]

Long drive, but I'd sure like to have a bucket of those.

[/quote]

Larry, not sure what you would do with them. Per the Guidebook, "Dead white bass may be used as bait only in Utah Lake and the Jordan River."
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ahhh Grasshoppah. Your modesty and humility are admirable. But not necessary. You are recognized as being a fine word merchant yourself.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[size 3]"Have you caught any flies with your chopsticks lately?"[/size]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]As for catching flies with chopsticks, that is so old school. Years of practice and experience have led to more advanced techniques. I am now able to perform on-the-fly neutering with lightning speed. Those little buggers may fly away...but they will never reproduce again.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
LOL, poor flies don't stand a chance. Well played, etc, etc, etc

BTW, Craig - I am like your "little brother," I'm not much on fly identification. Last summer I picked up some #12 or 14's that said larvae in the description. They worked, but as TD has said, so did almost everything else small and tipped with tiny crawler or WB pieces.

This year I have a couple of #16 bare (fly) hooks ahead of a #6 bead head something. I put tiny WB belly strips on the hooks and crawler on the BH. The tiny hooks catch tiny fish and I get an occaisional adult on the BH. I did get one savage 3"
whitie the larger hook last time I went.
[signature]