Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Blew it!!! Dang it
I’ve been trying to find me a bumper cat for the contest the last few weekends putting in the night shift and paying some rough dues. Well I’m out again tonight and it’s cold and way slow fishing and then my line takes off so I let it run out 30-40’ and set the hook. This time I nailed it and the battle was on it peeled line and drag multiple times with long ole runs that I couldn’t stop. Then it launched full body out of the water broadside to me in the moonlight and it was by far the biggest cat I’ve had all year. Well I keep fighting and figured as soon as it wore down I’d land it. It was my heavy braid line so I thought so I figured I’ve got this one. Well it took off on another big screaming run and I figured I’d slow it down so I leaned into it and snap and it was gone. Dang it. I forgot I had an 8” lengthof mono at the hooks and that’s where she broke. Wow what a fish even in the moon light it was impressive. Dang dang dang. So much for my chances to regain the north’s top twenty lead. Fun times. Later J
[signature]
Did it Smile at you as it was taking off? Lol
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
That truly sucks. I bet you said a bad word upon parting. Not that it matters , but I give ya board points just for the story.

Cookie lost her first Willard wiper this spring in much the same manner. He came out of the water, after about 5 minutes of deep runs, waved politely and us and popped the line. My normally mild-mannered church-going politically-correct bride said things that would make my team of hardened miners blush.

On a different note, I wonder if I am the last guy on this forum still stringing mono?

I fully understand all the benefits of braid and fluro and some of the hybrid super lines, yet I still buy spools of mono when I do my change outs. Odd. Is it similar to the fact that I eat cereal for breakfast, when there are sausages and eggs in the fridge and the only reason I can think why is 'cause dad did?
[signature]
You know that fish, Smile and a Wink in the moon light as it headed for sea. Was nice that it didn’t give me the middle fin too. Later J
[signature]
Too bad for the loss, could be one for the fish follies. [bobWink] Just think you can get out there again tonight, after all your luck is do to change, its FRIDAY the 13th
[signature]
Surprisingly it was a series of oh no no no no’s. My mono around the hook comes from it doesn’t tangle as bad and I’m using 15 lb test so it should be strong, but I hadn’t changed out since spring so I guess it got weak. Broke in the knot where the line thins from being pulled tight. Oh well time for my Pat told ya fishermen break lines not fish and I’m guilty I blew it. Later J
[signature]
Jeff, that's always a big "Oh shooooooot!" moment. [mad] Sorry for your loss.........[pirate]

I'm heading up to the river today after work, got to use up my last slab of carp meat, and drown some worms. Try to get another carp, and maybe the bigger cats are coming up shallow to feed in this cooler weather.

I did notice very clear skies and a big bright full moon at 0430 this morning. And being Friday the 13th maybe I shouldn't expect too much. But you can never tell.

[fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Jeff, too bad on the lost fish. The big cats are powerful right now having gorged all summer. I stopped at the river for a little while yesterday and hooked what I hoped was going to be a bumper, but turned out to only be a 28 incher. She took drag several times and stayed down near the bottom the whole time. She was a tank and nearly went 10lbs.

Forest, I hope you get a bumper. I saw and spoke with John yesterday and he had caught a 29.5 earlier in the day.
[signature]
Bummer Jeff! I have nightmares about losing fish like that. Good part of your report is that he is still out there so you gotta get back after him. I'll bet you have fresh line on next time. Good luck!

Lynn aka BLK
[signature]
Sorry you lost a biggin! I guess that I am a fanatic but I retie my rigs after every trip if I used that outfit. Probably overkill but my knots seem to be better if I tie them at home. Also the 50# leader doesn't hurt anything either. Even after a good day of kitty catching the leader will show some damage. I switched after loosing fish to a 20# leader. Tight lines.
[signature]
Just got home from the river. A few nibbles, but no hook ups. Water level has come up, especially at Reader bridge. Will try to get back out there this weekend.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Ended up on the tractor all day and didn’t get in till after dark so I guess I won’t chase them tonight. That did recharge my interest though so I’m pretty sure I’ll be back as soon as I can. Ya know I always plan on letting the fish go anyway, so this was just an early release. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
The worst thing about this whole thing is I didn’t even feel like I was in trouble or close to losing it. That’s the scary part. Sorry you didn’t find a bumper today. It was really slow last night. Two bullheads and one channel hit. But it was worth the wait. After the escape I stayed until 11:15 with nada in the last two hours. Later Jeff
[signature]
Thanks for the well wishes, I hope that wasn’t my only bumper, but if it was I got a fun memory anyway. Guess I need to be better prepared. Good luck with your hunt for the really big fish. Later Jeff
[signature]
Hey Lynn he is still out there with a nice 8/0 & 5/0 double piercing of stainless high quality jewels. I’m thinking it’s the most stylish cat in the pond now. Man I feel stupid that I let that one beat me so easily. Well maybe that was my 36”er. Later Jeff
[signature]
Ben I really need to follow your example. If that knot was fresh I wouldn’t have lost it the way I did. The line in the knot was simply over stretched and so she let go. I’ll start trying to learn to retie often. Thanks Jeff
[signature]