Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remaining big game tags
I have been informed by my wife that she has decided I am to start hunting Utah next year. I have hunted Idaho but never in Utah even though we have lived here for 15 years. It always seemed to complicated and I don't have any idea where to start. I did start digging thru the DWR hunting pages and have noticed there are still deer and elk tags remaining. My question to you hunters is, Why? Are these tags in units that are undesirable and that's why they don't get picked up? Is the property these hunts are on mostly private? I read people did not draw out for this or that unit or hunt, but can't they just go buy one of these leftover tags? As I said, I am just starting to try to figure it all out so I really don't understand it all. Thanks for any input you can offer.
[signature]
Most of these tags are either private property, migration hunts where weather plays a role, number of days to hunt and when the hunt begins and ends, etc. I would stay right put in Idaho if it was me.
[signature]
I have a couple of ideas. Take the next few months to figure out the units where you want to apply. Be ready in January to make your applications. Then be ready later in the spring when the antlerless drawing comes along. You have a good chance at drawing an antlerless elk permit. Meanwhile you can be scouting areas and learning about the animals and their locations. Start now. I have found the scouting to be some of the best "hunting" I've ever done. And the season is always open.

Second, find a friend or some buddies to go along with. I've met dozens of new friends on this site and have done a lot of fishing that I never would have without their help. Talk to people everywhere you go and soon you will find someone who can give you specific help. Watch out for people wearing camo [Wink].

You don't necessarily have to apply for permits. You can always buy over-the-counter permits for elk (that is if you don't wait too long).

You have lots of options. Get out there and enjoy it. And don't be shy about asking for help here--lots of willing respondents who are happy to share.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

That list is pretty deceiving. If you search the fine print you'll see that it is not update. That is what was left at the completion of the draw. Most of those tags are gone now. You have to drill in like you're going to purchase one to see what's available now and mainly all that's left is either private land only or in an are inaccessible to the general public.....
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Wet1 I knew there had to be something I was missing. Thanks for the insight. And thanks to those with info who were willing to share.
[signature]