Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Wind" is a four-letter word
Yesterday, I made a solo trip to Strawberry to practice using my side imagining to locate trout. When I have other guests on my boat I feel pressured to get fishing and I wanted to not feel that pressure by fishing solo. Great plan except for the typical 11:00 AM wind, at Strawberry, began before 8:30.[frown] Side imaging is difficult to use when the boat is rocking and rolling in white-cap level wind. In the short time I had to practice I did have some success in locating fish.

I tried anchoring up several places but the wind was so strong that it would drag the anchor. I discovered that the anchor would just slide across the heavy seaweed on the bottom and as a result I would start out fishing in ~40 feet of water to quickly be in 60+ feet of water. As a result, I ended up fishing areas that were a little more protected (Mud Creek Bay and similar) that held few fish.

All wasn't lost, I discovered where the fish had moved to (One of Ralph's honey holes) and I got to visit Ralph's "Lure Me Inn" geocache again, at its new location (no longer on an island). [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=985589;search_string=Lure%20Me%20Inn;#985589"]Link[/url] I also got to see the kokanee spawn in progress.

[inline kokanee.jpg]
[signature]
It's frustrating when the wind shows up unexpectedly. But I'm glad that you found some areas that were productive.

I've started working with the side finder on my boat and thanks to what you have shown me on our trip this spring has helped me understand it a lot better.

Thank you.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Glad you got off the water safely and got a few fish as well.
[signature]
Agreed, I'll fish in rain, snow, -15 below as long as the wind isn't blowing
[signature]
A 2hr trip to the Berry to get blown off early SUCKS. That happened to me back in the summer, I managed to get my limit by then but I was wanting to spend a day on the water. When thoughts are to do a lone trip to explore equipment there always something that makes it next to impossible.
[signature]
Bummer on the wind. I was going to go up yesterday myself so now I don't feel bad for not going.

What brand and model of side scan do you have. Although a bought a new sonar last summer I've been kicking myself for not getting one with side scan. I recieved a coupon from Cabela's for 75 off in purchases over 500 and the one I've been looking at meets those requirements.

Are you satisfied with what you have or would you like a different one.
[signature]
I have the Humminbird 899ciHDS2 model. It works well, but of course I would enjoy having the latest greatest, which for me would be a Humminbird Mega Imaging.

Check out this sturgeon on a Humminbird Mega Imaging.

[inline "Mega imaging.jpeg"]
[signature]
Very cool image of that sturgeon!

I use a humminbird helix 10 with CHIRP, SI and DI on my fire boat to locate sunken vessels and bodies here at Bear Lake and it's amazing how detailed they are. A body on the bottom looks just like a person laying there instead of a nondescript bump (sorry if that sounds morbid, but that is unfortunately one of the uses of our fire/rescue boat). Amazing technology.

Mike

PS. I sent you a PM about another subject.
[signature]
The last time we were at Strawberry, the wind got to us late. I guess this time the wind wanted to make sure it caught you early.

I still have and use an old Humminbird Matrix. I believe its the model that introduced side image way back when. Its not a color graph but the SI is really cool ! Been using it for a lot of years.

I even have used it for ice fishing. Took the transducer off the boat and mounted it on PVC then stuck it down the hole and could rotate it for 360 view under the ice. Most folks wont want to do that with their real nice sonar, but I also have a newer Lowrance as well as a vexilar so I was not risking my only fish finder, and the Humminbird is actually older tech now and I will probably upgrade that soon anyway.
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Interesting concept for ice fishing. I use the Navionics app on my phone to locate structure and contours that might produce fish (mostly perch). And My Vexilar fl28 shows me what's directly below my position on the ice. I can see where being able to see off to the side a good distance would be advantageous in case you're just off the mark. But then, I usually catch more perch than I'm willing to take home and clean by just using my Vexilar. But for someone just getting into the wonderful world of ice hole drilling, that might be an excellent choice to consider. [cool]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote kentofnsl]Yesterday, I made a solo trip to Strawberry to practice using my side imagining to locate trout. When I have other guests on my boat I feel pressured to get fishing and I wanted to not feel that pressure by fishing solo.

[/quote]

I feel the same way you do, It may not be as safe being alone but it is peaceful.

The bad thing with fish-finders is they keep coming out with new ones and sounds like they are better and I want to buy them.

Side Image works a lot better in water that is not to deep, and not to good in the wind.
last time I fished was the 12th. there was a lot of cuts in water that was 80' deep.
worked my way past chicken creek got in water that was 45' did not see a lot of cuts there, but I would bet if I was back today in the 80' water the cuts would be gone

I wonder if the cuts on the north side of strawberry move towards Renegade this time of year, I don't fish the north much in Oct.

I don't no alot about Geocache. I missed old-coot post that is neat may have to go looking for it.
[signature]
Here are a couple of shots of my Humminbird on ice. And one of my set up when I made it.
Not real pretty but it works.
[signature]
[quote Fishhound]Here are a couple of shots of my Humminbird on ice. And one of my set up when I made it.
Not real pretty but it works.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I'm sure it does work. I see lots of folks ice fishing with boat sonars and they all work. But I've only seen one or two of the high dollar boat sonars with DI/SI/360I on the ice. I guess that most people that can afford the high dollar units and boats they are used on just buy the ice sonars. I think the high dollar ones would be a good choice if the owner wanted to use it for dual seasons. But very few do. I can afford to have both and really like my Vexilar for ice fishing. Fishing blind sucks. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote liketrolling]

I wonder if the cuts on the north side of strawberry move towards Renegade this time of year, I don't fish the north much in Oct.

[/quote]

I think it is more a case of them moving shallower in the fall and they seem to school more then also. From my boat, I have had better success fishing the Renegade area in the fall and early winter. I have had some great early ice fishing trips both on the south and north end.
[signature]
If there's anything you don't have for fishing I can't imagine what it would be. I'm going to see if I can use one of my sonars for ice fishing, too.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.