Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln with Ice-Sled
I've been out of circulation for a week or so with some medical issues so good to get back on the water Monday. As mentioned in Ben's post, we met on the launch at about 11:00 and exchanged a few lies. He was just going out and I was just leaving. Before we parted we agreed to meet this a.m. for a dual boat attack on the Knolls. With both boats we figured if one of us had a breakdown the other would rush to the rescue -- and, we could fish with four poles.

As planned we met on the Lincoln ramp at dark:30. Ben was launched and waiting for me. He mentioned that he had caught some good fish yesterday, a couple 31 inchers that did not help his score. I was green with envy and asked where he dumped those two 31ers so I could get after them even if they did have sore lips. Bottom line, we agreed not to go in search of fish when Ben already knew where some bigguns were hanging out.

We launched and headed out about a mile in about 9.5 fow. We used a combination of fligs, dragging, and SC rigs and covered a big area while fishing a hundred yards or so apart. Not a lot of fish on the finder. There were big schools of what we assumed were white bass hanging out mid-depth. The occasional big red bottom bump (aka catfish) would show up on sonar usually under or near the wb. We used both wb and chubs for bait. I did best on the wb. We each caught 15 - 18 fish by the time we left at around noon. The water temp was 61 early and 64 when we left. Mostly calm water and good, if not fast, fishing.

I caught three fish I kept long enough for a photo opp. I thought at least one of them would stretch out to near 30 inches but not so. All were around 28.5 or so.

Tomorrow is the day. We agreed we would give it another go in the morning while we look for that really big one. Fun day on the water with Ben.

Lynn
[signature]
Fun day on the pond! I think tomorrow will get us some bumpups. I noticed one of the Red Bumps on the bottom that was at least 34". I zoomed in as fast as possible. Note attached said he was waiting for some guy named Lynn? Tight lines.
[signature]
Sorry you didn’t get your 30”er but sounds like it was a good day with quantity.
[signature]
Hey! Ben, my boat has a leak; can I go fishing with you?

Violet and I missed both you and Lynn. Lynn was heading for the ramp when he passed us. I thought he was having trouble at the ramp when I saw he didn't drive off for a few minutes. I guess that's when he was talking with you.

You motored out, passing us as we were heading in.

We didn't stay out for long. Our first fish was 29" then gradually got smaller. I thought catching was pretty slow, guess that's why we made it a short day.

We will be out again tomorrow, just don't know when, maybe we will see you out there.

rj
[signature]
Great report! It sounds like you guys had better numbers than Ben (or I) got on Monday. The big ones will be ready for you tomorrow, or is that today? I'll look forward to that post as well.

Are you guys stopping to catch bait in the harbor before you go out?
[signature]
Hey Ben,

I thought you were retiring later in the year? It seems like your out there almost every day lately! I'm glad you're having fun though[Wink]
[signature]
Hey Jim. You are correct. I am retiring the last day of the year. I didn't draw any hunts this year so I need to use some vacation. My wife is down in San Antonio this week and the weather looked good for fishing. Almost perfect weather. 97 more days! It will be nice to fish on my schedule instead of BYU's.
[signature]
I was guessing you were "burning" some vacation. You are making me really jealous talking about the retirement thing.

Just one more big cat and your there!
[signature]