Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon...Plan B 10-3-19
[#0000ff]Pa and I had a plan to hit the Knolls today. Invited BLK to join us. But forecast winds from the SE led to changing the venue to Lindon...and without BLK.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I joined Pa at the Lindon (Utah Lake) ramp and we were both launched a bit after 7 am. Air temp 39 and water temp 57...warming to 59 by noon departure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Started off slow in the chilling water. We worked depths from 3' out to 7' without seeing much on sonar or feeling much on our lines. Lee drew first slime with a big ol' carp that liked his pale perch flig rig. Then he got a couple of cats in about 5 feet of water. I moved in from deeper water and I started getting bendo too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My first cat was a Willard escapee...about 21". Small for Utah Lake. But my next one was better...a nice 28 inch mama cat. Not a bumper but good tugs.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both got sporadic inquiries over the next hour or so. Then Lee headed north to fish an area he had never worked before. I stayed around the bubbleup but moved back out into deeper water. The water temp had moved up a degree or so. And I started to see some "kitty bumps" on sonar. And...I began to get some frequent chomps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]For the next couple of hours I got cats with fair regularity. Some over 20s, a couple of two footers and another 28 incher...this one a daddy cat on one of my new "whirly fligs"...with a Smile blade.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Caught cats on both white bass and LHBE minnows. Got them using straight bait, fligs and the aforementioned new whirly fligs. Fish were in about 5 feet of water early but moved out to 6-7 feet later. There is no 8-10 foot water at Lindon.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had only the lightest of breezes on our side of the lake but could see "disturbed water" on the other side. Guessing that it was a good move to change venues. When I shut it down just before noon I had caught about 15 cats...and headed back for the ramp. Pa came in just ahead of me. He reported 8 cats...and 1 carp.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not a bad plan B.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the great report and pictures. That sounds like a geally good change of venue to me! It also sounds like a really good morning. I am pleasantly surprised that the water was in the upper 50's still, but that is good news.

I was out for a bit picking up little whites for the freezer. It was cold out there[Wink]

I would have called both those cats 28.5, but I have to take everything I can get. Are you sure those weren't bump fish?
[signature]
Looks like they are to me. Skunked has him down for 27, 27, and 30 on the spreadsheet
[signature]
[#0000FF]I had decided that unless I got something that could catapult me significantly further up the contest standings I would be satisfied with just a pic of the measurement...and not mess with the logo and all that. Never have been all that excited about contests anyway. (That's what losers say)[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I was prepared for lower water temps too and was pleasantly surprised to find them still over 55. That seems to be the beginning of the end for fast cat action...although I have caught them on Utah Lake well below 50...and on Willard down to below 40.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I did try the whirly fligs briefly but never got moving fast enough to exercise them well. Although those smily blades whir at the slightest movement. I did get a couple of fish on them and both really slammed them...even in the cold water.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope the weather and the water temps cooperate for your trip tomorrow.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You made a good call switching to Lindon. And thanks for the chubs. I ended up with 6 . Great morning. Glad we went. These were my best
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you could make it. And you are welcome for the LHBE chubs. They always seem to be in high demand on the catfish menu.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]About your pictures. Can't you at least get those silly fish to Smile?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I tried telling them jokes but they were pretty upset I guess
[signature]
[#0000FF]They got a good sense of smell...but a poor sense of humor. Of course you can't tell jokes very well either.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Can't you at least get those silly fish to Smile?

Well they aren't Cheshire cats after all. [cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[quote TubeDude[#0000ff]Never have been all that excited about contests anyway. (That's what losers say)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff] [/#0000ff][#0000ff]
[/#0000ff]
[/quote]

Pat, I have to say that I am just a bit surprised to even see your name on a tournament sheet at all. Sup wit dat ?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well, Chuck, you have knowed me longer than a lot of other BFTers, and you doubtless remember my tales of being a tournament bass chaser in my early years. I think that was what did it for me and contests. Ruint me forever. When the thrill of the chase (normal fishing) is replaced by a pathological and/or larcenous desire for beating others...or fighting it out for cash...then it is not really the kind of peaceful contemplative experience I prefer.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have studiously avoided being a part of most of the other assorted contests on BFT. But since I get the blame/credit for helping create a lot of the current crop of cataholics on the board I felt somewhat honor-bound to join in the fray. I put in a little work to at least appear respectable in the standings, but since I am more of a multi-species kinda guy I just don't put in the time and effort that the front-runners do. Love to see the competition and the passion. But it just ain't for me. (Sound enough like a loser?)[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]By the way, I thoroughly enjoy seeing your posts now that you have returned to the fold.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I bumped your score, even though you didn't want it... I'm sure your team mates like to see the higher numbers on their side... Nice report, I sure would like to get out after the cats, I need a good tug... Still farming, this is getting old this year, i need to be fishing by now... Still got hay to cut and put up, but the other jobs are getting tied up... maybe by the end of the contest I'll be able to go fish... Later Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks...I think. Nice of you to try to give aid to the southern chaps and all that.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Wish I could return the kindness by adding a few hours to your week...for non-essential things like sleeping, eating and fishing.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I once thought I had the answer to getting more hours in a day. I painted over a clock face and then made the numbers from 1-15 instead of 1-12...in effect creating a 30 hour day. Alas, the hands still traveled around the clock in the same amount of time, so it didn't work out after all. Some great ideas are better in theory than in practice.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope you can soon wind things down and squeeze out a few more discretionary hours each week.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat,
I think I'll be able to start adding a little fill in fishing around the good weather ... After I cut the hay tomorrow I'll need to get some good dry time in, that should be go fish time to me, but my wife may think otherwise... we shall see how that plays out... later J
[signature]
[quote catchinon] Can't you at least get those silly fish to Smile?

Well they aren't Cheshire cats after all. [cool][cool][cool][/quote]
[#0000FF]And it's difficult to work up a Smile when you are being chased by a bunch of "mad catters".[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yes, I do remember the war stories and tales of woe during those darker times when ambition fueled enthusiasum. Like the desperation of an addict frantically casting for the prized fix of a fish that beats the competition by the weight of a mere extra scale or nanometer of length. But you redeemed yourself with an epiphany of the true reason you spend all your time in the passionate pursuit of your obsession.

I feared though that you had fallen from that wagon and were on the slippery slide down to that dark side again and had lost the true meaning of Fishmas. I was making ready to visit you - ghostly anchor chains and all to remind you those days of avarice and rapaciosness.

It is a relief that you have not lost perspective nor self. Take heart my friend, your are not totally responsible for the choices and actions of those holics - they have their own blame to carry and wear. You have inspired many more to the true path than those who might deviate into darkness.

BTW - those like yourself who take not themselves too seriously are not the losers.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks...I think.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]