Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB report 10/3/19
Mooseman, Tyfighter, and I went out after cats again yesterday. We only got 2, 3, and 4 each, respectively. The water was around 55-57°. We were passed up at the ramp by Richard and Violet. We shared some pleasantries and it sounds like they are having trouble finding many or any of good size, though I do think they keep catching fish they don't need that would give me a bump. [mad] The fact that we ended up fishing gunwale to gunwale was just a coincidence. We really weren't trailing them, I promise [Wink].

We started out strolling in deep water out from the springs. The trolling motor soon quit working (pretty sure it's a charging issue, duh). We went to drifting in the light breeze and hit it just right. That didn't last long though as it was a very calm day. So we motored on out to the island, anchored up, and went to bobbers. We caught a couple of small fish including the smallest I have ever caught--well down in the teens. I had another fish taking off with my bobber and making it dive and dance. Didn't hook up though. I found out when I reeled in that the bait and sinker were all tangled. Oh well. We were by the dead tree on the east side and near the base of the stinger in just a few feet of water. Not sure that that is the best kind of place to fish this time of year, but you never know until you go.

Going out again tomorrow with my brother and his wife. Maybe it will be our lucky day.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I talked to violet and if my memory serves me correctly they caught 11, but my memory does fade at times. It was fun playing games while we passed the time and it sure keeps Tyler more entertained so I appreciate the thought with the games. It’s a pleasure going out with you and it’s fun to have friendly competition to have biggest and smallest and most cats caught. Though you have been leading in every category lately [mad] I’m going to step up my game and bring the special bait next time....if only i knew what it was!
[signature]
I missed this report, sounds like a slower day than today though. Sometimes you just have to put in the time to let them figure you out, or something like that. Do you need more WB yet?

Have you seen any prefernce between the YOY and the adults I gave you? Yesterday they really liked the small ones, but even those we had to cut fairly small or they would bite short and not stay and play.

I'm glad you got a good one today.
[signature]
My observations mirror yours. One time I put on a whole little wb hooked through the chin/nose. I got a really hard hit on it but couldn't hook him. A while later I reeled in to check the bait and discovered that all was gone but the head. Later I thought that using a larger bait might yield larger fish. I put a slab of white bass nearly as large as my palm on. The fish continually harassed it, but wouldn't hook up. Finally I got tired of jumping for my rod at every false alarm and cut the bait up, using just a quarter of it. Then I caught a fish on that. To my thinking half a YOY is just right, but they hit everything.

I have some of the last bass you gave me left but it's getting pretty "mature". The fish don't seem to mind but my wife hates it when I put them in the fridge. If you can spare any I'd appreciate it. I promise to replace it. Would you like some chubs? I'm planning a run to Scofield to get some out of the creek there below the dam.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I have 2 adults that we got Friday that have not been frozen, but kept in my bait fridge since they were caught. I can drop it by this evening or on my way t owork in the morning. I'd prefer to chat for a minute if you have time this evening, but if not I'll drop it by in the morning.

All the YOY I have are already frozen, but I can give you some of those if you like. They are much softer after beign thawed so you need t ocheck the bait after every hit.

Thanks for the offer on the chubs, but I have to decline. I have used my alloted space with the whities and this late in the season the cubs would just sit until spring and not get used.
[signature]
Come on over anytime tonight and we'll gab. I'll even invite you in and we can sit down [Wink].
[signature]

You just responded to what I wanted to chat about, but I'll bring the whites by in a few minutes.
[signature]