Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LB report 10/5/19
Joatmon and I went out of LB early this morning, to try, once again, to catch some cats that would bump us higher up in the catfish contest. The water was only 53°. We caught 7 and 8 apiece but they were definitely lethargic. Most were medium to small but I tied my personal best with a 29.5"er. I also reached my 100th fish this year which was one of my goals. This fish bumps me up to 9th place from 18th and helps me meet or exceed a couple of other goals. Pretty happy with what I have done and thankful to all who have helped me along the way.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

[#0000FF]Nice finish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thank you, but I ain't done yet. I have a bad habit of pushing things until the bitter end. I can relax some now but I still want to get to 88 points and have a fish in the top ten. Ben told me he caught a 31"er today so I still hope to break that 30" barrier.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Then I want to catch a few more species and then there's ice fishing coming up and ...
[signature]

My poor wife is so patient with me, bless her heart.
[signature]

congratulations. maybe its your brother that is good luck and not me lol. Did you charge your trolling motor batteries? And if so did your trolling motor work today? I sent you a pm the other night about possible fishing early in the week it looks like. Monday and Tuesday look like the best days. Where did you fish at? Did you try the new rod out chance? Im loading you up with questions. I feel like I missed so much lol. We got our dump runs done and the wife was so happy so it was a good thing I stayed home.
[signature]
Yes, I charged the battery overnight. All I could find was an old basic unit so I didn't get much information. In fact, the analog gauge showed it little more charged than when I put it on last night, but we trolled all day with it. Lesson learned. I'll PM you about next week. We tried to troll west past the springs and orchards but the wind, which was surprisingly strong, pushed us around north so we set our course for the island and got there around noon. In fact the last fish we caught on the way there was during the closing prayer of Conference [angelic]. We only caught one on the trip back, which wasn't long since I wanted to get home by the second session.

I didn't try the new rod because I'm not familiar with it yet and didn't want to goof around with it. Maybe I can take three rods next time we go and test it out.

We stayed in that 9'+ depth we've been hitting. I used the two flaits with wb and Brett used a couple of sizes of Santee-Cooper rigs with both bass and perch for bait. The fish hit them all equally well. As for the luck of catching the big one I think it proves my plan: keep on catchinon and your turn will roll around sooner or later. I just wonder how many hundred fish I have to catch to get a 30"er. Exponentially more I guess. Next year my goal will be much higher and we will see. And this year isn't over yet.
[signature]

Good goin Craig! Glad to see you in the top ten again. You guys had better action then I did. I finished the day with only 5 fish. All caught on white bass. Fished a couple of my old favs and didn't get bit at all. Wasn't expecting to see the water temps so low. I fished mostly 9'-10'. Didn't see much on the sonar except schools of white bass at mid range. Hope to get out a time or two before the end of the contest. Tight lines.
[signature]
Nice work Craig! I'm glad you found a good one. Maybe you'll get that 30 yet. We could use a few more to catch those northern boys[Wink] I'm glad yo uguys had a solid day. Don't turn your back on Joatmon though or he'll be catching the biggest fish!
[signature]
"Don't turn your back on Joatmon though or he'll be catching the biggest fish!"

You're right about that. I'm pretty sure he's a better fisherman than I am. Sadly, he says he's finished with cats for this year.
[signature]

Nice job Craig, way to put a bumper in the boat!
[signature]