Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knolls and a buck
Fished the Knolls last Wednesday before the winds went wild. Left Lincoln before daylight and arrived at the Knolls when the sun was just crawling up over the mountains. Calm seas and no other fishers to be seen.

Started on the south end while dragging wb and a ppf with chub minnow attached. Fishing was good but not fast. I did better on the wb than the ppl, surprise. Caught two that looked like 30 inchers for sure but when I put the tape to them the old shrinkage set in and I couldn't get them past 29 inches -- still, nice cats. Caught a dozen or so but the big one still eludes.

Was enjoying the peace and solitude when I heard and saw a big boat launch from the south fence?? then two more big boats followed. As they got closer I could see that they were flat bottom boats and the first one had a big pile of netting in the front; they were carp seiners. They stopped by me to ask if I had seen any carp activity -- I had not -- and then they moved on southward in search of shallower water. They had been working in the Mud Lake area but complained about the high water making it difficult to make a good catch. I wished them well but could not join them in complaining about the high water.

It was a good day, especially with the heavy winds coming later in the week. Marked lots of fish in the area so it should be good for another try with calm weather coming on. I hope to join TD and Pa there on Thursday for some serious cattin'.

And... Inasmuch as most fishaholics are also huntaholics, I have to slip in a pic of my muzzleloader buck. A perfect 10x10 and 33 inches wide...……………………..well, okay, actually my brother got the deer... but I really did catch the cats.[Wink]

BLK
[signature]
Nice job on the fish. That buck is massive. Tell your brother congratulations.
[signature]
Tell us more about the buck.

Dang!
[signature]
Damn, nice buck! What unit?
[signature]
Nice cats and that buck, wow! Thanks for sharing.

I have heard there were some good ones out by the knolls[Wink]
[signature]
Fished at Lincoln today and it was slow -- only caught 5 cats. Water temp was 57 degrees and it was very muddy, almost a chocolate color. I had hoped the last two calm days would clear the water again but not so. Maybe Thursday.

Can't say where brother got the deer other than to say it was "hit high in the shoulder" and it was not at the Knolls.[Smile]

We have been watching him and two others that usually run with him, all are nice bucks. We plan to get the other two on the rifle hunt.[Wink][Wink]

Anyhow, a couple of trail cam pics of the 10x10 on the hoof and his two buddies.

Enjoy,

BLK
[signature]
Wow, now that is just mean, seems I didn't see hardly any deer this year... Guess I need to hunt closer to home so I know the area and don't spend the whole hunt looking for where to hunt... Congrats and good luck that would be one nice trio if you can pull it off... Nice job on it so far... Later J
[signature]
Very nice on the buck and the cats, my hunting stuff is over for while so I should be down there this weekend as much as I can,
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hey Mike-- That big trail cam buck in my last post is still out there and may have to be the "36 incher" I have been looking for all summer at UL. If I can't find the 36 inch catfish, I'll gladly settle for a 36 inch buck.[Wink]

I'll watch for ya at all the walleye holes you usually frequent. Water temp has been in the mid-50s so maybe the eyes are on the feed. If they are I'm sure you will find them.

Good luck.

Lynn
[signature]
Hey Lynn-- I'll tell you what, You tell me where he is and I'll gladly take him off your hands so you don't have to deal with him, just think you could go fishing instead of hunting[Wink]

I received some intal on the mountain about a few of the warriors finding them by the orchards, water temps are just right, I'll start out on that ridge next to the Hole,
see you there,
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
We saw a few waders there yesterday while we out after cats.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

If there is a line of them there's eyes in there, they catch alot of cats also.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Will the good fishing still be going after Oct. 15? I'm concentrating on catfish until the contest is over but I still want to catch a few other species this year and walleye is one of them.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Ya it should be good, I fish it into December, 1st spring always holds fish in the colder months, you just have to change the methid,

hey Lynn i figured it out, you need to set up cameras out in[laugh] UL so you can see when the 36 inchers are coming by,
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
Great deer! Hope you guys get it done on the rifle hunt.
[signature]
Those are some incredible deer!
[signature]
The one on the right was taken on the muzzleloader hunt. The one on the left -- 36 inches wide?? -- is still waiting for me.[Wink]

After one more trip chasing catfish I'll be through with the MH Ugly Stik and will switch over to a Savage .22-250 for a week or so, then to a Ruger .270 for maybe ten days, then back to the .22-250. It's a tough life being retired.[Smile]

Should be a fun hunt this year.

BLK
[signature]
If your using a 22-250 can I assume its for desert dogs?
I've lost my partner, been looking for another.
[signature]