Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whirly FLIGs and a 50 fish day - Utah Lake 10 4 2019
ES: Doug and I fished out of Provo on Oct 4 from before daylight to about 10:30. Water was 57 in the harbor and about 56 in the main lake. Winds started SE at less than 5 MPH and were pushing 20 when we pounded back into the harbor about 11. As implied in the title we had about 50 fish today, but not all cats. We got two dozen 4-5” whites, 4 more at 9-10” and 6 crappie while we were making bait. Between 7:30 and 10:30 we got about 15 cats, lost 3 or 4 and had another 10 inquiries. The cats were unusually small; most were 22-24.” We had one at 27 that was the only one over 25 all morning. Today the cats all came on white bass, but not all on FLAITs. Over a third came on TD’s whirly FLIGs that he sent me to try out. Not surprisingly they catch fish! Today we tested silver sparkle with a blue back and chartreuse with red spots. The silver one got the first 2 but the chart. got the last 3. All the cats came in 7.5 to 8.5 FOW, and seemed to prefer 0.7 MPH, which was surprising with visibility at 6".

FS: Doug was in the area visiting family and we were able to fit in a morning of catfishing. It was great to catch up and to fish with him again, even if he did catch the biggest and the mostest today. We started a bit before 6 catching small whites for bait. They were fun on light tackle and every once in a while a bonus crappie or adult white bass added to the fun. It was pleasant conditions with the air at 48 degrees. I had been there the day before and air was 38. I was getting us some bait “just in case the wind hit early and the bait didn’t show.” Actually that batch added to my frozen supply for next spring’s fishing.

After we had each caught half a dozen or so I gave Doug the “job” of filling the bait bucket while I went to work prepping the boat and baiting the heavier rods for the catfish assault. He got a bunch, including several doubles, a pair of adult whites and a couple 9-inch crappie.

Last weekend Julie and I had found cats in and near the harbor at dusk so Doug and I strolled out the length of the harbor in the darkness. It was a good time to visit as we had nary a hookup and only one half-hearted bump until we were well north of the buoys.

The first cat came aboard at 7:20. A 2 footer that would prove to be in the upper part of the curve today. After that is was typical of how this fall is shaping up. 20 minutes of uninterrupted conversation and then 2 or 3 hits right together. Although fishing was never fast, we had two doubles. They seemed to be tightly grouped as often both rods on the same side of the boat would get hit almost simultaneously.

Cat number 4 was a healthy 27 and gave us hope we might see some size today, but it was not to be. It would have been a great day to put some in the freezer as almost all of them were below 24” long.

We had a great time between the visiting and the catching. The cats seemed to get more aggressive as the sun got higher and then the wind came up, almost exactly as forecast. We had agreed to pull the gear at 10:30. Doug’s family had plans and he had committed to being back by noon, with meant we should be at the ramp by 11. When 10:30 came we agreed that we could give it another 15 minutes since we were only a mile or so from the harbor. As usual, it was a mistake to try to squeeze in one or two more fish. Between 10:30 and 10:40 the SW wind increased from below 10 MPH to around 20 and our ride back to the harbor was bumpy and wet!

It was still a great fall morning with a great fishing buddy!
[signature]
Glad you got out with your friend and couch “catch” up. Sounds like it was a good day and you did a great job pulling in a few species. I wished I could catch white bass like you I’ll have to learn your tricks if you teach them that is. That is not fun to be on a boat when the wind picks up like that glad you made it back with only getting wet, I don’t like it on a pontoon let alone a boat. I’m very cautious now after we had 3-4’ waves come out of no where so when I hear stories like yours I’m very thankful your ok.
[signature]
Thanks, catching the whites is not hard, but you need to be there when they are. Mostly on clam mornings and before sun-up.

Thanks for your concern as well. The conditions weren't dangerous, mostly annoying and I felt silly because we should have already been back at the harbor. You definitely need to respect the lake when she gets riled up, but it wasn't that kind of wind we were in. It was that in between kind where you and the boat get pounded if you go to fast and if you go slow the wind blows the water into the boat every time you hit a wave.

I've learned a bit more about your drive, but not enough to continue yet, and I'm still focused on the cats for a bit longer.
[signature]
Is that a Smile blade on top of that flig?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you guys were able to get in some quality time before Mama Nature had her hissy fit. The weather forecast for "zephyrs" had me concerned for your welfare...if not your fishing. When it gets "airy" on Utah Lake you gotta get the heck outta there. At least you got some tugs before the imperfect storm.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also glad the whirlies put some fish in the boat. I only fished them a short while myself on Thursday but got one of my two largest (28") fish on them. As per your suggestion I will be making some with split rings on the rear so you can add your fave circle hooks instead of the big J hooks I make them with.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote trophyboat]Is that a Smile blade on top of that flig?[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have been experimenting with both the Smile blades and propeller blades. Both work well when dragged or retrieved at slow speeds. But the Smilies start kicking at the slightest movement...so even when I am dragging them more slowly in my float tube they provide good flash and vibration.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here are a couple of pics of current models...some with bulkier bodies...some with more elongated bodies. Still in the testing phase but so far they are working well. Hoping to get some votes from ABCs (anything but catfish) on them soon. Have already caught some other species on smaller versions...the ones I call "Pistol Pats".[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice addition, i have used them on worm harnesses for walleye and kokanee cha squds for kokanee and trout. they seem to add that action and flash to about any lure/technique to catch fish! Thanks for the info.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I had been using a lot of small propeller blades on various lures and thought they were super responsive. After trying the Smile blades the propellers seem almost sluggish.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I found a good source for the Smile blades...in all sizes and colors. Let me know if you are looking and I will shoot you a link.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thank you, what's that link?
[signature]
[#0000FF][url "https://www.xtackle.com/Macks-Lure-Smile-Blades.aspx"]X Tackle[/url]
[/#0000FF]

[#0000FF]That was my first order with them. Very good prices compared to other sources...and a lot more complete selection of colors and sizes. They also sent me some samples of some spin beads and some rattle beads that look to have promise.[/#0000FF]
[signature]