Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10/08 UL great weather at least.
Got to fishing just after sun up and started in catching as soon as I hit a fishy looking spot on the lake. Didn't have nearly as much time as I would have liked. But that time spent fishing was pretty good - the catching was also on par with the fishing today. Fished upto about 11 a.m or around noonish and had fish on every 10 to 15 minutes.

Used a variety of baits due to this time of year in the location where the fish tend to travel to and according to the weather (upcoming cold front makes for some fine catching at times in the right places). Best baits today were chunks of WB and Carp - with chicken parts (liver, gizzard and hearts on a hook) coming in a fair second. Crawlers, cheese and popcorn shrimp had only limited success (kind of figured they might have been better today but it was not to be). The White bass bait came in on a panter martin and the carp with a strawberry jellow and licorice boilie - so the fresh bait helped with catching the game fillets. Oddly, the chubs I tried got absolutely no attention what so ever - but to be fair, they were frozen.

So all in all a great day on the water fishing and some fine consistant catching resulting in some good take home fillets. Sadly I had to take 2 home with me that were too greedy and swallowed the hooks and didn't seem like they would survive the experience. However, Most every thing else was released more or less unharmed but certainly annoyed.

It seems every year an adventure seems to have some challenges. This one was no exception. When I was ready to get going to another fishy like spot, I hit the starter on my main engine and the anticipated results did not happen. Sure it cranked over and cranked over but it let me down by not doing anything else. The technical difficulties kind of wrapped up the the day a bit prematurely. So, I fired up my little kicker and she purred like a kitten allowing me to slow boat across the lake with every horsepower that Yamaha could muster.

Now I just have wait for the weather to figure out the main motor or I may be doing inflatable watercraft till hard water hits.
[signature]
Sounds like it was not a good day for motors. Craig had starting issues which thankfully was resolved but Piscophilic had issues with his motor as well. Hmmm wonder what was in the water
[signature]
At least you didn’t get blown off the water. Like Craig said it was a tough day for us but Pisco caught some so it can be done. We only caught 1 in the time that Tyler and joined up with Craig and that came the last 2 minutes we were fishing. It was just tough. But I understand you with the kids mine run off and jump from rock to rock and play at the water and fight non stop. I’ve turned my boat around and left fishing and made them pay my gas for wasting a trip because they wouldn’t stop fighting. They now think gas only cost $2 because that’s all they could pay lol
[signature]
Sounds like the same issue my big motor has too... Hard to start, but when it starts it runs fine... Now my batteries are getting weak and time to replace, so I don't think it kicks hard enough to get it to fire... Sure would like a reliable main power plant... if it was as good as my kicker, I'd never have an issue... Good luck with yours... J
[signature]
"I don't think it kicks hard enough to get it to fire..."

At one point we also thought the problem with mine might be a weak battery. Mooseman had a jump-starter rig but it didn't seem to make a difference. Turned out to be a throttle position deal. Thank goodness for Jim's experience and expertise.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Glad it wasn’t too serious for yours, but sure nice to have help figure things out. Later J
[signature]