Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach 10 8 2019 Pisco's Version
ES: I met up with Catchinon at the Lincoln ramp on 10/8/2019. We ended up fishing for cats from about 7 AM to 11 AM. I caught 8 cats from 19 to 27.5 inches. Water temp was 55 in the harbor and 54 on the main lake, with little or no wind. The first 4 cats came on a chartreuse whirly FLIG (from TD) and the last 4 came on FLAITS in lime tiger or clown patterns. Second outing in a row where the whirly did best early and the (larger) FLAITs did better later. All cats took white bass moving between 0.5 and 0.7 MPH. I managed only 1 YOY white in the harbor and 1 adult in the main lake.

FS: Actually Craig has told you the full story. Other than my numbers and sizes I don’t have much to add. It was good to fish “together” and be around if anyone got in trouble. This was a common practice among commercial fishermen on the ocean when I was younger and I think I like it.

Here is the link to Craig’s post:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...st=1084798

The cats were scattered like all of the fall trips this year. I didn’t get any inquiries within 100 yards of the shore, even out near the end of the point where the water is 10 feet deep fairly close in.

The hits are getting less aggressive as the water cools and the fight goes out of the fish quickly. My best cat of the day was 8 pounds and put up a valiant battle for 1 or 2 minutes and then came in slowly spinning just under the surface.

Craig mentioned my water problem and when I got home from work I pulled the lower unit and found all the impeller blades broken off.
After I got home I remembered seeing the water coming out of the flow indicator hole in spurts. I was turning the motor off to fish when it caught my attention and I failed to recognize it.

I’ve now learned, and hopefully you can learn from me…If you ever see water spurting out of your indicator hole (instead of a steady stream), that means at least one of your impeller blades has broken off and you need to get back to the dock!
[signature]
"... when I got home from work I pulled the lower unit and found all the impeller blades broken off."

How does that happen, anyway?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Time, conditions of use and amount of use, muddy water will wear it out sooner, but a come apart like that is mostly just time, its something to change if there is any question like wheel bearings on the trailer,
I change my wheel bearing every year, usually my impeller every other, Maintenance is your best friend owning a boat, dialectic grease on all electrical connections,
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Good things to know, thanks.

While I've got you here I was wondering how the walleye fishing is going. Would it work to fish for catfish and walleye at the same time, say slow trolling with one rod for each species? Still want to catch some walleye this year.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Quote:How does that happen, anyway?
As MSM1970 said!
[signature]
Walleye have been tough this year, I havent made it down there much this year, was there this past week end, could only find WB, not many wadders, that tells me its tough, water temps will be around 50 this week end, I think its mostly just finding where they are, need about 5 good days to weather would be best,

Question: has that mud line been around Lincoln point all summer, it was bad over the week end. it run about half way to the island. I think I seen you saturday, its a red tracker right?
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
"I think I seen you saturday, its a red tracker right?"

Yep, more of a maroon but I call it red. Someone said we just missed you. What does your boat look like?
[signature]

You saw MSM mention the "mud line." I saw it the day of the first cleanup. Julie and I went out far enough to get beyond it and did much better on cats. When I told you on Saturday that I would have gone out about a mile further (if I wasn't having motor trouble) that is what I would have looked for, is to be out far enough that the water clarity improves.

I don't know if it always gets better farther out, (after a good wind) but I think it usually does.
[signature]
Quote:Question: has that mud line been around Lincoln point all summer, it was bad over the week end. it run about half way to the island.

I saw it in June, and it went almost halfway to the island that day. At dawn we had about 20 MPH NW winds. When the wind died around 9 we ventured out, the mud line was apparent and we went out and got beyond it. Went from 2 cats/hour to about 8/hour.

I think it is there anytime you have had a good wind in the last 2-4 days. Depending on which direction and how hard it blows, it goes out farther.
[signature]
blue and white bayliner, I was out to the island.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
That what I figured, this spring it was really bad when the run off was going, its all that soot that comes out of the SP Fork river form the fires, it might be like that for a few years when the wind stirs up the lake, something to keep in mind,
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[quote catchinon]Good things to know, thanks.

While I've got you here I was wondering how the walleye fishing is going. Would it work to fish for catfish and walleye at the same time, say slow trolling with one rod for each species? Still want to catch some walleye this year.[/quote]

[#0000FF]As you have been advised, walleye numbers and angler success rates have been down this year.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Can you fish for both walleyes and cats simultomateously? Sure. They will both hit the same things. I have caught a lot of walleyes on fish meat or whole chubs or white bass fishing for cats. And I have caught a lot of cats fishing plastics or crankbaits for walleyes.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But if you want to rig two different rods with different offerings, try a float bait rig on one rod and a crawler harness setup on the other. Again, you are likely to catch either species on either rod.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The one big downer...if you want to catch walleyes...is that they do not hang out much on the mud flats where we do most of our kitty fishing. Walleyes are more likely to be in shallower water and around rocks or other structure. You need to learn the contours of the rock ledges and the humps and depressions where they congregate...when they are "in town". There are a few regulars who have a good knowledge of the few rocky hangouts around the lake and they can move from spot to spot, trying different lures and techniques, to increase their odds.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Howsomever, during the postspawn period for walleyes...from late April through the middle to end of June...Walleyes tend to roam more throughout the lake...looking for groceries to bulk up again after the lean spawn time. That's when more walleyes are caught "on accident" by guys fishing for white bass or catfish...on lures or bait.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]This time of year...when water temps drop a lot...you almost need to focus on wallieology in order to have any hope of scoring on the toothy critters. That usually means throwing plastics...with a lot of casts for every inquiry.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Here's a bit of info that might help.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Craig,

You have gotten UL walleye advise from some of the best! I wanted to support their advise with a couple of observations of mine.

MSM said:
Quote:Walleye have been tough this year

I have dragged a small crank (probably too small based on my encounter Tuesday morning) or a crawler rig on one rod almost every time I've been on the lake at dawn or dusk this year. I've spent a fair amount of time over rocky and gravely bottom, I've caught whites and cats on both, but no eyes.

Since I could catch them regularly and on purpose at Powell, and can't at UL, I think availablity is what makes them tougher at UL. Those who know their favorite hangouts find them more regularly, but you can't go to everyplace that has good walleye potential and find a few there almost every time.

TD said:
Quote:This time of year...when water temps drop a lot...you almost need to focus on wallieology in order to have any hope of scoring on the toothy critters. That usually means throwing plastics...with a lot of casts for every inquiry.

This will label me as borderline crazy to most UL anglers that search for large canine teeth, but I have had some success on those toothy guys in other areas and even UL, trolling those plasitcs over rocky areas. The speeds are about the same as strolling for cats, 0.5 to 1.0 MPH.

So, when you go out after cats, rig a lighter rod with a curly tail and a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig head. Whenever your cat rig starts bouncing like you aren't over mud, let out the little jig just far enough that it ticks the botttom somewhat regularly and you have a shot. Hold that rod in your hand or you will miss many of the fish. You will also find that rig will help replenish your WB supply. I have successfully tipped the jig with both crawler bits and small slivers of WB.

If you snag the jig and loose it, you have saved money since it wasn't a crankbait.

If you prefer crawler harnesses, I've been pleased with the action and light weight of the "Smile blades" rather than standard spinner blades. You can see those on TD's "Whirly FLIGs" They have good action even below 0.5 MPH. I could give you one to try out.

I haven't nailed a walleye in them yet, (correction, I did at Powell but not UL) but whites and cats like them.
[signature]