Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rainbows
Anyone doing any good on bows? Would like to fish for some to put in the smoker.
[signature]
Yeah, I fished Minersville last week and caught some dandies. But, none were big enough to keep.

IF I really wanted to catch and keep some bows, I would hit Lower Bowns. Usually, the bows are plentiful and fairly willing to take a fly.
[signature]
If you live close to Deer Creek, they have good tasting Rainbows
and a limit is not to hard to catch.

I don't like eating Rainbows out of Strawberry
[signature]
Agreed. I really enjoy that pond. But, unless you live way south of I-70, quite a drive for smoker fish. I would suggest Flaming Gorge. Lots of really nice sized ‘bows willing to play this time of year. Excellent quality meat also. Nice and orange.
[signature]
The real problem with bows from Strawberry is that you would be lucky to catch any, lots of Cutts.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1] But, unless you live way south of I-70, quite a drive for smoker fish. I would suggest Flaming Gorge. Lots of really nice sized ‘bows willing to play this time of year. Excellent quality meat also. Nice and orange.[/quote]

Agreed. But, unless you live way east of Provo and north of Nephi, that's quite a drive for smoker fish.
[signature]
Scofield would be an option, but they tend to be on the smaller and skinny side.
[signature]
I agree with you on the taste of rainbows out of strawberry. Why is that? With all the crustations there you would think they would taste great.

Also, why aren't we catching many rainbows anymore? For awhile they were planting larger rainbows so they would not get eaten by the Cutts. Now, it is rare to catch a rainbow. We just fished up there and caught over 60 fish. Not one of them was rainbow. Strange.
[signature]
You would not have any problem catching bows at East Canyon, most are smaller but if you stay at it, you can catch bigger fish there.
[signature]
They need to do something about the ratio. Cutts are ok for some folks but until
The ratio gets closer to 50-50 I’ll go elsewhere. Those weak cutts are safe from me!
[signature]