Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish Contest Last Day
Wow it’s here already the final day to bump your scores is today. I’ll give you till tomorrow to have your entries posted but today is the last day to catch them. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey...the 15th is the 15th. I have a final trip planned for tomorrow and conditions are going to be ideal. When did you decide to back it up one day...just because you ain't fishing? And what difference does a day make in the great fishing cosmos?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It Has Been Another Fun Filled Season .
Thank you Jeff for the work you put into this contest. Know it is tough with work. farm and trying to get a line wet once in awhile. To keep the scores up to date.

Good luck to any of you going to look for that last minute fish.
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Bump.
[signature]
Hey thats right the rules say Oct 15 midnight
[signature]
There's Always Time For One More Cast
Today is the 14th Tuesday is the 15th we should still have 2 days of fishing. But as John said thank you for all the hard work and keeping thing collected and posted even during your chores that has got to be difficult you do awesome.
[signature]
Oops I can’t run a calendar let’s back that out one more day. Sorry for the screw up. Okay tomorrow is the last day to fish and report by Wednesday. Sorry one more day if you want to use it. I thought today was the 15th. I did get out but 25” was the best I could find so no bump for me. Later Jeff
[signature]
Thanks Jeff. I had scheduled off work. Hope to do better than I did Saturday! I caught only 5 fish and 25" was the largest. 47 degree water didn't help either.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Just finished a PM discussion with Pisco. He noted that on the past couple of trips in colder water that the best fish of the day was the first fish. He wondered if the larger fish were feeding more at night.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That led me to remember how cats act early in the year. When water is cold, daytime warm temps raise the water temp a few degrees and it remains warm into the darkness. Temperature sensitive fish like cats are likely to become more active in warmer water and in fact a lot of big cats are caught during the early months right at dusk and after dark.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]But, as I pointed out in another thread, cats are just plain succumbing to lower metabolism. They move slower and eat less...and less often. So we see a lot more on sonar than on the end of our lines. And finding them is no guarantee they will open their little mouths.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]That being said, I have traditionally caught some of my biggest cats of the year during October...and during the daytime. Combination of being in the right place at the right time...with the right stuff...and a lot of luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You’re very welcome it has been fun once again. You sure have put on a great show again this year. One day away from another title unless something wild happens. Best of luck. Jeff
[signature]
In case you didn’t see my reply I was goofed up on my dates so tomorrow is still open for contest entries. Thanks for pointing that out. Good luck. Jeff
[signature]
Good luck Ben, hope you do well. I found your 25 and a 22 and 19” today. Plus a 13” LMB that was fun too. But no bumps to my score. Those cats today were into spiraling as they came in at least after they wore out. Guess the cold is effecting their fights. We’ll have fun. J
[signature]
We worked the Bear River Sunday, nice weather, got nothing but pestered by wasps and donated a couple more hook leaders to some snags.
Decided to give Willard another shot yesterday, Monday. Weather was very nice. Air temp at 0830 launch was 42, water temp in the south marina was 49, going up to 52 out at the feed lot, then 55 at 2:00 p.m. when we quit. Only saw 3 or 4 other boats on the water, and again, no fish harmed.
Cat contest was a real hoot this year. The wife signed up for the first time and got in to the high 70's which is better than I did the first couple years.

Many thanks to Jeff for keeping the contest running, again........[Wink]
Was nice meeting some BFT faces at various venues.
Ahi1953 (John) enjoyed sharing some of the river spots with you again this year. jig-fisher, ice sled, Pisco, hook set, BLK, r2u2, Mrs. J, enjoyed the contacts and reading your contest posts.

This is where the year starts to get busy with family gatherings, and holidays.
Hope to see as many as possible at the Contest Dinner sometime in November.
As many of you continue to fish, and even venture out on to the ice this winter, please take care and caution.
Best of luck.............[fishin]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Hey Forest you had quite the year, bumping your score way up from years past... Congratulations on a great accomplishment... Sorry to say I haven't done much this year to keep things going, it's been mostly you guys that keep out there after the big ones... Really been fun to see the high level of big numbers this year. I think we've had more high scores this year than any year I can remember... I thought I had some good numbers back in May when I sort of took the fishing retirement gig for the farm season. But they sure didn't hold up... Not even sure if I'll finish in the top 15 this year... But I do like having this for an excuse to get out... I wouldn't have made it out fishing yesterday if it wasn't for the contest, so glad to have an excuse to get on the water...

As far as banquets go we have been talking about November 6, 7, 13 or 14th... We need to see if one of these dates will work best for our group... I also need to see if I can get our venue lined up for sure... Hoping all are okay with Holy Smoke, I like their food and they are great to work with... Anyway thanks again for the post... Jeff
[signature]
Well Jeff, from my figures, you, me, Catslayer, and Hook set are tied for 11th place [sly]. My wife and TNA are tied for 16th place......[Wink].

As to the dinner, Holy Smokes is fine for us. 7th, 13th, 14th are all good for us, but 13th is best for the wife cuz she is off on Wednesdays.
6th no good for me.....have a Dr. appt that day and won't feel much up to being out that night.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Jeff,

My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and be out of town the 6th and 7th. Although I am only one of many, I understand if others need to have it one of those days, just letting you know.

Thanks for keeping it going and the great upbeat attitude towards all the contestants and entries. Its been fun.
[signature]
This is my first catfish contest and it was great. Thank you for all you do Jeff. I am looking forward to next year's contest.
[signature]
So it's too late to sign up for the contest, huh? Dang...

Guess I'll just have to come to the dinner again.
[signature]
Thanks for your input, will try to work around 6th. Good to know when is best for folks so we can try to rule out the worst times. Always nice when we can get a good turn out. Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Hey Paul congratulations and I appreciate the heads up on dates. I had been leaning towards the second week myself so it’s good to see that it may be the better time. I hope you can make it this year, I look forward to meeting you. Guess by now you know if you’re going to spoil John or Bens party. Hope you had a good last try. Later Jeff
[signature]