Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using KCP?
Anyone here having any success, suggestions, or any experience good or bad using Brad's Kokanee cut plug? Either trolling during the Koke season, or for any trout species? I bought one late in the season, so didn't have a chance to try on Kokes...Just a new fad, or have they been around awhile?
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I bought a couple of them in 2018 Joe and used them on the Gorge. Never had a hit on them. Didn't put them on this past season at all. I did look up a video on them and may have to try them again next season after rigging them like shown in this video:[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][url "https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Brad%27s+Kokanee+cut+plug&view=detail&mid=C65D38C6147D1DF05D62C65D38C6147D1DF05D62&FORM=VIRE"]How to assemble[/url]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I’ve got a bunch of them from the small koke size to the full size super baits. The KCP came out around 2016, for me they have yet to put a koke in the box but can be very effective for salmon in the rivers and ocean ( all sizes). I know people and have seen reports from others that have had success on kokes with them, many rigging options with the most popular to add 7 small beads in front of the double hooks, some like the beads up against the stop about mid way up the bait and others like the beads against the back stop making the hooks trail the plug. They have been effective on the cutts at Pyramid Lake in Nevada also.
Because they are a “rolling” bait I would suggest using a bead chain swivel on the leader
[signature]
For the rivers and ocean for king salmon we are pulling behind 11” flashers which have a large rolling action that pulls the cut plug in a very large circle, although I have smaller flashers that can be used in lakes I haven’t tried them for the kokes with the KCP’S as that type of action isn’t typically what your looking for on kokes.
[signature]
Doing some looking it appears that most have gone away from the 7 beads and are using a bobber stop with a small and larger bead so they have better action, 36” leader
[signature]
tks 2K....and tks Bob also....(like Bob I've been doing a little time in the marsh so took a while to get back on here)....the one I bought did come with the 3 barrel swivel, and 7 non-glow beads, glow on half the underneath of lure....so I'll probably take it apart, like all my bought Koke lures, and customize, maybe more like your last pic....but with glow beads....I do like the idea of being able to put scent inside, so will give it a try next season....tks again....
[signature]
I love them but more so for cuts and rainbows I catch some kokanee on them but not a lot.
I made a video on how to rig them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VBygUwAnhM&t=11s

I mold my own, this year in Oct. one day with one I made, using worms on the hooks the body was Glow green. I think I caught over 50 cuts in 1 1/2 hr. had it on a lead line pole. before is was out 50 feet would have a fish on. this went on for 1 1/2 hr.

so had a cut on all the time I got tired of reeling cuts in.
[signature]
I have used them with great success in Montana for Chinooks. They come pre tied with a 60" leader, we cut leader length down to around 30-36" and run them behind a 11' flasher. as 2knott suggested a swivel chain is needed. I also use a swivel chain to keep hook away from lure body, for better hook ups. The lure enables the use of scents, limited only by your imagination. we use oil scents as well as tuna fish packed in oil, corn and anchovy paste in the body of lure. I think if you down size flasher/dodger and use the small lure they would catch kokes.
[signature]
Try taking the foam scent pad out and filling the cavity with canned tuna in oil, works well on the King’s
[signature]
Tks Robert -- don't think I saw your youtube video when you first put it out, so I really appreciated it now - fun to watch....I'll give that lure a try next season after I customize it a little....
[signature]
tks wyo for good ideas....I'll definitely try the tuna/oil pack....have you used it at F.G. with success? Also, you said that you 'also use a swivel chain to keep hook away from lure body, for better hook ups'....I guess I can't quite picture that...a chain behind the lure, then with 2 hooks? Or are you just calling (x #) any color beads that come with the lure a 'swivel chain' ?
[signature]
Thanks for the video and how you set everything up.

Watching the video of the your rig in action, I have a question. Have you ever tried leaving the bait off? From the looks of the fish in the video it looks like if you would have had some hooks on there you could have caught some fish.

I'm just curious.[Wink]
[signature]
[quote Jmorfish]Also, you said that you 'also use a swivel chain to keep hook away from lure body, for better hook ups'....I guess I can't quite picture that...a chain behind the lure, then with 2 hooks?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]They look like this Joe and a couple of lures come with them already attached to the leader. They also come with different numbers of swivel beads like the 5 shown below.[/size][/#800000][/font]

[Image: 31ZzEXnniYL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I use worms most of the time< I went to Strawberry one day this year with just corn
and the corn on the brads did not seem to do to good.

sometimes I don't use a dodger and it works but remember to use a good swivel
with a 32 to 36" leader.

the first spinning lure I used was a Pro-Troll and they work (Kokanee killer) mostly for cuts, not so much for kokanee. squids work so good for kokanee only time I will try a brads for kokanee is last resort.
[signature]
[quote liketrolling]I use worms most of the time< I went to Strawberry one day this year with just corn
and the corn on the brads did not seem to do to good.

sometimes I don't use a dodger and it works but remember to use a good swivel
with a 32 to 36" leader.

the first spinning lure I used was a Pro-Troll and they work (Kokanee killer) mostly for cuts, not so much for kokanee. squids work so good for kokanee only time I will try a brads for kokanee is last resort.[/quote]

Thanks for the information.

I guess the answer is no to my question, have you ever tried fishing that set up without bait.
[signature]
tks Bob ---mine did come with three barrel swivels like you're showing, but nowhere near the lure/hooks...mine are attached just at the top of the leader....I'll have to take it apart anyhow, as it's only a 24" leader, and I will re-do the beads also....good seeing you at the canal in camo..
[signature]