Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Day AFTER the last Cat contest day....
The weather guessers kept saying the weather was going to turn not too good last nite and this morning. So I took the day off yesterday and got up to Willard Bay, South just at sunup. It was cloudy high overcast, but fairly calm, and not too cold. I didn't note the air temp on arrival, but I think it was about 48.
Heading out the south channel, water temp was 51.8, and out at the feed lot it was 53.
Only saw 2 or 3 other boats on the water till 11:30.

Was not in any particular hurry yesterday, so I slow trolled the area from the south channel out to almost the island, then east into Freeway Bay, along the east wall half way to the bottom corner, turned right and headed west in a series of slow, wide S turns. Covered water depth from 9' out to 18'. Saw lots of fish on the little TV monitor, and a couple what looked like half hearted boils. Maybe 15 to 20 Terns diving a couple times, then going elsewhere to repeat. All were too far away from me and too short a duration to see if those Terns were having any better luck than me.

About 12:30 decided to head in. Got to the south launch ramps and anchored out at the north edge to let a ski boat that seemed to be having motor problems get clear of the ramp and dock. Dropped a baited line in and started cleaning up the boat to be "road ready". Had already stowed my trolling rods, so the one bait line was on my medium duty pole with 6 lb. mono. My wife had given me a new Okuma collapsible rod and carry case for my birthday last month.
I decided to spool up that reel and give the rod a functional check.

Loaded the reel with new 6 lb. mono, put the 5 sections of the rod together, shared out a few items from my main tackle bag to the small plastic kit that came in the Okuma bag. Tied a yellow flig on the end of the main line, and put a small crimp weight about 12 inches up the line.
Hooked up a half of worm and tossed that line in close to some of the submerged brush.

Well that new rod and reel got a fast work out [laugh] in probably less that 15 minutes, the drag was steady clickin, and the rod was bending toward the bow of the boat. Now I knew it wasn't due to boat swing or drift cuz I was sitting dang near dead in the water. Get rod out of holder, slow lift rod while tightening drag...... BAM ! Gotcha [sly]

Not the biggest Cat ever caught out of WB, but a respectable cookie cutter to chase out the skunk at the last minute......

That kitty had SWALLOWED the flig, worm, and about 3 inches of line. Wasn't bleeding, so cut the line, did a fast photo, and released.

And of course, the weather today, so far has been even BETTER. Oh well. [:/]

[fishon]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice fun report. Glad you caught something on your new pole. Thanks for posting a pic of it hope it holds up well looks like a nice setup.
[signature]
So I thought you were going to show a 30”er with the post title. Glad you got out and found some action. Nice job. Jeff
[signature]