Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D.c. walleye skunk
I fished d.c. all afternoon for walleye from my boat. I threw many plastics in depths from 8' to 40'. Where are the eyes? Anyone catching them? I never caught one from d.c. .
[signature]
This time of year the eyes are moving to deep water, they fallow the river channel. Look at a map and fish around the banks/points that are close to the river channel that has deep water 40 +.
[signature]
Thank you. I will try it.
[signature]
You also need to try the twilight hours. Before sunrise and after sunset. Work your jigs extremely slow too. They are difficult to locate right now. I have caught them deep this time of year during daylight hours. Fishing depths of 30 ft to 50 ft. You can also catch perch, crappie, and smallmouth bass mixed in with the eyes. The fish seem to group up when you find them deep. When you catch them that deep you really need to plan on keeping them. When it's dark, I have caught some working crankbaits slowly on rocky shorelines. Also when the water temps start dropping on Deer Creek, they will come in shallow. I scored a few from the bank in December from the shore. Those walleye sure are a tough cookie to figure out. I don't know why I'm so addicted to them, other than they are so difficult and temperamental to understand. Tons easier to catch trout. I am hoping for the water to freeze at Deer Creek again so I can score some eyes through the ice. The past two times Deer Creek has frozen, I caught some walleye through the ice there. Good luck in your quest.
Gabe
[signature]
Do you fish the same river channels and depths ice fishing that you do in a boat?
[signature]
Nope, I find rocky drop-offs and will work depths about 25 to 30 ft. I am thinking of looking at other places too though if it freezes this year. I usually don't fish the river channels during the soft water time either. I am usually out in a float tube kicking around, so I am limited to where I chase them in open water. I pick and choose spots. I haven't scored eyes on or near the channel as of yet, but maybe its something I should do.
Gabe
[signature]