Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Upgrade, rod holder and fish finder advice
I upgraded my boat yesterday and picked up a really nice Tracker Pro Guide 16 Deep V. I want to pick up some additional rod holders and also upgrade the fish finder (want something with side finder capability). This boat has the versatrack in it so I’m looking for suggestions on what rod holders people like and what fish finders (up to $500-600) you like. Thanks!
[signature]
Other than being red[Wink], it looks like a sweet boat.
[signature]
Iv got the exact same boat. I put a hummingbird Helix 7 fish finder. But I think the sideview is a Helex 9.
I love it, perfect. Iv got cabela's pole holders.
You've got a great boat!!!
[signature]
I like the folbe rod holders. They are on amazon. A little pricey but next to monster rod holders which are about the best, they are great.
[signature]
When I bought my new to me used current fishing boat it came with 3 Folbe rod holders. I've seen pictures of them in the past but actually handling these type I really like them. There is a locking device included to keep rod secured in holder. Also another locking device secures rod holder to mount base. One of mine is mounted in center of transom/fish box with extension that allows top lining over the top of outboard.

http://www.folbe.com/fishing-rod-holders...ducts.html

I pulled the trigger on a Raymarine Element HV9 this year which I got for just under a $1000, it has down & side vision. Like you I was looking to stay in the same price range with the Element HV7 which is same only smaller scale, very simple to operate. I dug in instead to purchase the mid size and have no regrets doing so.

http://www.raymarine.com/element-series/element-hv.html

The RM Axiom was my original choice as I heard a lot of good about this unit until the newer Element series appeared this year.

http://www.raymarine.com/multifunction-d...axiom.html

There are other very good finders that are very competitive and with good options which is a matter of what the eye candy does for you.
[signature]
I had a different brand on my last boat but when I bought my current boat it had two Ram brand rod holder, so I bought two more, just like them:
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-114-BU
I've got two Humminbird finders on my boat, I use one for GPS only and the other as a finder, it has down and side scan, 999ci HD SI, looks like they no longer sell this model but the Helix or Solix are great finders as well, depending on if you want a keypad or touch screen. This keypad version of the HELIX 5 is comparable but only has downscan:
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/f...gps-g2-nav
The Helix 9 is the next step up but so is the price:
https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.com/f...rp-gps-g3n
Both can be used with your Minn Kota electric trolling motor, to help steer your boat, which is a feature I love.
[signature]
Nice ride there. Think my next, someday, maybe, new boat will be a Tracker. But in a different color [Wink]. Been running a red 14' Lund for over 12 years, time for something different.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Great! I’m glad you like your boat. Thanks for the advice. How hard was it to wire the new fish finder? Did you replace the trolling motor?
[signature]
I have the same boat with a 60 hp motor. I have added many things to it since buying it new in 2015. I first added a Lowrance elite-7 TI w/SI & DI. the touch screen is very handy. Throw away the BassProShop rod holders. The second thing I did was to add a hydrofoil fin to the 60 hp outboard to help get on plane. Next came the bimini top. Get a tall one (56")so that you can walk under it. I put 1" PVC pipe into the rear uprights of the trailer to help guide the boat while landing in the wind. You can drive them in with a hammer and then bend them using a heatgun or propane torch. I also added some LEDs to the PVC uprights to make launching in the dark easier. I have added a telescoping ladder to the bow for ease of boarding. It folds flat onto the bow and the mounting is reinforced under the deck. The latest mod was to add a second sonar and transducer. I put on a Garmin Echomap Plus 73sv. It also has side and downview plus it can draw bottom contour maps of your favorite ponds with 1 foot gradients. Some Lowrance models does this also. The boat is very stable and I have truly enjoyed it. If I had to buy it again I would op for the 90hp motor.

[inline "bimini top.jpg"]

[inline IMG_0847.JPG]
[inline IMG_0848.JPG]
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
[quote kentofnsl]Other than being red[Wink], it looks like a sweet boat.[/quote]
red is the fastest color ya know
and color me jealous
thats a sweet rig
the front deck looks clean
but im pretty sure trying to strip and throw fly line with all that line catching stuffs anywhere else in the boat would drive me nuts[bobWink]
[signature]
Burley, thanks for pointing out the changes you have made. Do you like the Garmin or Lowrance fish finder better? My boat came with a bimini too similar to your and it also has a trolling plate on the motor. Not sure if that will work like a hydro foil or not. Did you replace the trolling motor or is yours foot pedal controlled? I plan to upgrade to a Minkota 24V 70# iPilot (remote controlled). I have that on my old boat and it is awesome. I also want to add an onboard battery maintainer for the two trolling batteries. I guess the motor charges the cranking battery in these boats, right? What kind of rod holders do you use?
[signature]
Burley, also any tips on how to get the new transducer wires threaded through the boat when I upgrade the fish finder?
[signature]
I like the images on the Lowrance better. I have both mounted on my boat and either one has Ipilot capability. Routing the cables was pretty simple. On my boat you can loosen the side panel screws using a square driver, some may be phillips. I recommend using a transducer mounting board when you replace the transducer. The trolling blade will work similar to a hydrofoil. My trolling motor is 12v with only one battery. I keep it charged with a 2 bank battery charger that I installed under the console. It only charges the trolling battery after the main battery is fully charged. My trolling motor came with a foot controller. I added a wireless remote to it so I can control it with a FOB.
Rod Holders: Boat came with Bass pro shop holders that were a POS. I have since used FishON, Cabelas quick draw, and BroCraft holders. All would be ok for trout, bass, or catfish. They are made of composite material. I fish for 300-400 lb. sturgeons now and have upgraded to stainless steel rod holders after seeing three rod holders broken and torn from the boat.
[signature]
You may need a prop with a different pitch when fishing the higher elevation lakes like Strawberry. Talk to Fred's marine about this.
[signature]
Thanks Burley, this is very helpful. So you have the 2 bank charger hooked up to both the cranking battery and your trolling battery? I plan to get a battery charger onboard as well.

I’ll have to see if my side panels come off. Mine is a 2013 and I didn’t notice the screws, seemed to all be carpeted and sealed up but I probably didn’t look close enough.

I won’t be catching anything like sturgeon in my boat, just trout, wipers, walleye, etc.
[signature]
[quote fly_fishing_nut]Thanks Burley, this is very helpful. So you have the 2 bank charger hooked up to both the cranking battery and your trolling battery? I plan to get a battery charger onboard as well.

The bank charger connects to the positive and negative terminals of the fuse block for it's input voltage. When the voltage reaches a certain value, it allows the voltage to be sent to the trolling battery to charge it. So in a way, it is connected to both batteries. Routing the wiring may require drilling a hole in the forward battery compartment.
[signature]
[quote fly_fishing_nut]
I won’t be catching anything like sturgeon in my boat, just trout, wipers, walleye, etc.[/quote]

Then turn them down if they are gracious enough to extend an invite. [Wink]

It is quite an adventure and all you want to do is go chase them again.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.

Ain't that the truth! It is an amazing experience to have a fish on your rod that is capable of pulling you out of the boat. Catching a 300-400 lb. fish on 80 lb. test line is like catching a 30-40 lb. fish on 8 lb. line. Nothing but Smiles.
[signature]
[quote a_bow_nut][quote fly_fishing_nut]
I won’t be catching anything like sturgeon in my boat, just trout, wipers, walleye, etc.[/quote]

Then turn them down if they are gracious enough to extend an invite. [Wink]

[/quote]

Yep, I can't wait until Monday comes. Well, I think we have hijacked an interesting thread.
[signature]
Something that you should do right now is to drain and replace the gear lube in the lower unit in case it has water in it. I just did a complete lube, oil, filter job on mine Saturday. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
[signature]