Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INAPPROPRIATE ADS
To whom it may concern.

I really enjoy this site. Lots of good information.

I realize that ads pay for this site. HOWEVER, I'm sick of the partially dressed women in lingerie. I don't want to see that.....my wife doesn't want me to see it!! Is this site so desperate for dollars, that they advertise junk?? Each time I report it to Google, it comes right back when I switch threads.

What are the chances of more fishing related ads being shown and less garbage???

Just my thoughts.
Agreed. The ads on this site have become awful...
[signature]
I agree with you as well, we don't control the adds locally and we rely on our site owners to keep the lights on for our site. It has been mentioned about the adds and there are some changes coming to BFT. I don't have any authority to discuss what little I know, so I won't say more than this, but watch for changes to come and I will pass up your concern to the owners. Perhaps Curt can add more to this concern as well... Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Here here! I agree.
[signature]
I know what you mean... I can’t stand looking at women that are half dressed![Wink You guys are funny, from what I see on my feeds I see advertising for sites that I have recently visited.
[signature]
strange, all I’ve got are auto, tech, fishing, and a miss placed Ashley furniture ad. Sorry Ashley, I’m not looking for nursery furnishings.
[signature]
Agreed - especially when the kids join you to read BFT reports.
[signature]
Ad Blocker!

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{[/green][size 4][green]⦇[/green][/size][blue]°>[/blue]
[signature]
Have never seen an ad here, period.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Me too either. Has a lot to do with what operating system you are using, what browser and what settings you have. I think a lot of folks don't take the time to go through the settings
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Maybe you could enlighten us all. Please?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thank you for pointing out that ads keep the lights on. I run adblock on my chrome browser and don't ever see the ads. It's good to be reminded that I should allow them on the sites I wish to support.

I turned off my adblock to see what ads would appear, as I just reviewed my google privacy settings this morning. My google account presented me with the option to opt out of personalized ads from AdChoices as well. I elected to opt out of all targeted advertising based on my search history and perceived interests.

After unblocking and refreshing my screen, I do see a number of scantily clad women. I assume these pulchritudinous young ladies are shown by the advertising consortium in hopes that lonely fishermen will click through to see more scantily clad beauties. If that's your thing, I understand there are a number of sites with women wearing significantly less than I see here.

All the other ads shown to me appear to be fishing gear related, but there are 3 large banner ads that I would close quickly if my wife walked by.

I suspect that BFT doesn't have a lot of input into which ads are shown. The AdChoice vendor buys space on the site and puts up what their algorithms predict will draw the most clicks.

If your privacy settings allow for targeted ads, you would probably see ads of more relevance to you.
[signature]
You are correct, BFT does not have control over the ads but I went ahead and contacted the owner to see if there is something they can do. Since there is a plan to do a makeover of the site in the next month or so, I'm not sure anything will be done but since it is a concern, I'll bring it up to the project manager to see if they can block those type of ads on the new board.
[signature]
Thanks for bringing it up. I have been annoyed and reported them as inappropriate until I was convinced that was hohw they knew I was getting them and I only got more.

I went to settings and it looked like theu should be blocked, but still they come through.

I'll talk to an IT guy tomorrow and see what I am missing.
[signature]
Google sends you ads that it’s algorithms think you want. For some reason it thinks you like looking at half naked women? My water heater went out last weekend, all I’m seeing is ads for heating and cooling companies. After being quoted $3685 for a gas fired 50 gallon heater by a local well advertised company I enlisted FSB to help me install the Home Depot $569 model.
[signature]
[quote Justaguywaworm]Agreed - especially when the kids join you to read BFT reports.[/quote]
I just want you to know kinda like the round mound of rebound sir charles
im not and should never be anyones children's role model by any means
do not let your kids grow up to be like us damn lebowskis
and im not going to pretend that both the ski and at least the fly fishing industries
are filled with people who may listen to the satan music and consume recreational drugs, like the devils lettuce, and imbibe and even abuse the booze at times
these sheninigans are pretty much part of my crew fishing trips and part of my reports.
as far as scantily clad boobz adds helping ya keeps the lights on
im good with it
but those goofy icp jugalo clown buffs
good luck with that
I consider myself a real good stick and skier and know better ones
and even they don't have the skills to pull off wearing those
[signature]
[quote carpdiem]Google sends you ads that it’s algorithms think you want. For some reason it thinks you like looking at half naked women? My water heater went out last weekend, all I’m seeing is ads for heating and cooling companies. After being quoted $3685 for a gas fired 50 gallon heater by a local well advertised company I enlisted FSB to help me install the Home Depot $569 model.[/quote]
friends don't let friends waste fishing trip funtickets on overpaying lack of action man
and his greedy dog no 3600 dollars to do somethins a couple guys can do in an afternoon
are we going this weekend or next?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I use ad blockers on all three of the browsers I use and haven't seen any ads in years.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Specifics?

For starters, I use a real computer, not a phone. If you use a phone, I can't help you.

Win 10, Firefox or Chrome, plus the free add-on called uBlock Origin.

There are other ad blockers, including Ad Block and Ad Block+ but none of them work as cleanly or as well as uBlock Origin.

(There is also one called just uBlock, supposedly an improved version, but it isn't as good as the original, hence the Origin one.)
[signature]
Thanks for all the input and advise. I have re adjusted some of my settings. Being very "old school" I hate updating or changing tech related things. Each time I have, it seems like something stops working or works slower.

We'll see how it goes.