Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roosterfish question
Will be in Cabo on Feb 28th and was wondering if any of you might have had any info about fishing for Roosters there and then?
[signature]
What!!! Your going fishing without me?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Been awhile since I was down there, but the panga (small boat) guys out of the east Cape are usually reasonable and fish inshore waters for roosters very effectively. Some of the biggest roosters can be caught fairly close to shore. Most are caught on live bait...like ladyfish (machete) or other available small fish. But they will hit a wide range of lures...and even flies.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]On the Pacific side there is a hardcore contingent that runs along the beach in ATVs or pickemup trucks with rod racks on the front...watching for cruising fish or action in the surf. When they see fish they jump out and make long casts with big rods and work lures back in to the beach. A lot of driving, looking and exercise, but fun and often rewarding.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]The best time is hot summer. That's the only time I have fished it. But they are around all year and depending on weather late winter to early spring can be great too.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Lots of good info on the Internet.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Gary, you know you are always invited with me!
In fact, Want to drag your boat out and meet up at Starvation this week possibly?
[signature]
Mr Shane, in regards to Tube Dudes post on the Gulf of Ca. You need to remember that this is a guy that used to fish for Yellowtail and such from his Tube ! The dude is totally nuts, so be careful about following his instructions about driving the shoreline. My guess is that he would drive the shoreline in his tube or getting pulled along by a large fish caught in the surf. The man has no scruples when it comes to fishing that tube. He also uses small plastics in the surf and 6-8lb line. Beware !!!
[#0000ff]Not sure whether I just got complimented or slammed. Can't ever tell with some people.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never fished from my tube at Cabo. Always from a panga or from shore. Caught some big roosters too. Along with a whole bunch of other inshore species. That is a super fishery.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But I have caught smaller roosters from my tube while fishing in other areas of the Sea of Cortez. And usually while fishing lighter tackle.
[/#0000ff] [#0000ff][inline ROOSTERFISH.jpg]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would never say anything bad about you Pat, maybe a bit on the negative side, but you are one of my more favorite peoples around. Some of your exploits are/would be legendary if known !! Hope you are well !!!
[#0000FF]Thanks...I think.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Now let's hope Shane gets the info he needs to go catch some roosters...and not just hens.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Good info, thanks!
My thoughts were paying someone and going out in a panga.
It is just one of my cruise stops so I need to be mindful of ‘guide reliability’ concerning timing....
[signature]
[#0000FF]You have plenty of time to do some research before you get there. I suggest you e-contact some of the hotels there and get their recommendations. The pangas are a lot less spendy than a day out looking for marlin and tuna. And, as I mentioned, there is a chance for multiple species along with the roosters. Sometimes there are even good dorado (dolphin fish) fairly close in.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Hope the timing is good weatherwise and that you are able to get lined up with a good guide/boat.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]